Author Topic: William Northey  (Read 1578 times)

Offline Chucky_60

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
William Northey
« on: Sunday 04 April 21 05:53 BST (UK) »
Afternnon all,

I was hoping that someone could help with information on my 3 x Great grandfather William Northey (Abt.1828 - Abt.1891) the 1851 census states that he was born on the IOM but I have not been unable to find any other proof.

He married Elizabeth Watterson on the 7 Nov 1850, he was a carpenter that went onto be a ships carpenter.

Again the 1851 census shows him living at what could be 48 Glen Chass which is only a few mins from Port Saint Mary.

I have found an number of news clippings and other info about his family, but no luck with birth details or his parents. Any help would be greatly appreciated

Chucky
Vaughan & Everson, Stilling & Smith, Crocker & Hogg, Northey & England, deCheppe & Barley, Broad & Wise

Offline Kay99

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: William Northey
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 04 April 21 07:13 BST (UK) »
In 1851 his surname looks more like Norway?   

Could this be his baptism in 1827 - the illegimate son of Martin Norway and Cath Kiggin? https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:9396-CY2J-1?i=31&cc=1784428

Kay

Offline Kay99

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 04 April 21 07:37 BST (UK) »
On his marriage cert his surname looks more like Nordy and father listed as John Nordy miner  https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:S3HY-6149-NDY?i=15&cc=1784428

Kay

Added - so illegitimate bapt I posted previously looks unlikely :-\

Offline KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 04 April 21 08:04 BST (UK) »
www.iMuseum.im also shows Nordy.

(People search; Advanced)
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 04 April 21 08:59 BST (UK) »
Looking at Burials, I can find 5 for Northey (1885-1985) and none for Nordy.
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline Kay99

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 04 April 21 09:31 BST (UK) »
I can see any Northey's, Nordy's or simliar on the 1841 census for the IoM  :-\

Offline Chucky_60

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 04 April 21 12:13 BST (UK) »
Thank you,

As I'm sure you know it gets frustrating when you come across name variations and poor handwriting. I also have seen a number of variations, including Nordy and Norway.

Perhaps we could try a different approach my 2x great grandfather also William Northey was baptised on the 27 Feb 1853 in Rushen. His parents are listed as William Northey & Elizabeth Watterson. These numbers appear on the citation 106194, 106742, 106743. I'm not sure what they mean?

The family appears on the 1861 IOM census.

Is it possible that William senior was actually born in outside of the IOM and the 1851 is wrong?

Cheers, Chucky
Vaughan & Everson, Stilling & Smith, Crocker & Hogg, Northey & England, deCheppe & Barley, Broad & Wise

Offline Kay99

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 04 April 21 12:46 BST (UK) »
I must admit Chucky that I also thought of the possibility that William Snr wasn't born on the IoM but the 1861/71 and 81 census years also list his birth place as Rushen, Isle of Man

Going back to my original suggestion re a baptism in the parish with father Martin Norway and mother Cath Kiggen - I did find a marriage in 1838 at Rushen of a Cath Keggin to John Collister           https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:XZ1C-J82

This looks like the couple in 1841 living at Corvalla, Rushen, Isle of Man with her parents and son William

Edward   Keggeen   Male   60   Isle of Man
Jane   Keggeen   63   Isle of Man
John   Collister   35   Isle of Man
Catherine   Collister   35   Isle of Man
Wm   Keggeen 14   Isle of Man

In 1861 William Northey and family were also living in Corvalla, Rushen next door but one from Jane Keggeen and her daughter Catherine Collister.  Maybe the father John on William Snr's marriage cert was incorrect and William's stepfather was John??  :-\

Kay

Offline Chucky_60

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 04 April 21 12:58 BST (UK) »
Thanks Kay,

Out of the thousands of ancestors I've found the Northey and IOM branch are very special to me. I was planning on being there last year but we all know what happened  :'( last year.

I'll take a look at your suggestion and see where it leads.

Chucky