Author Topic: William Northey  (Read 1556 times)

Offline Kay99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: William Northey
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 04 April 21 13:45 BST (UK) »
The only grandparent I knew said that she was from the Isle of Man and she started my interest in family history.  However it turned out that she was born in Liverpool and her father came from the Isle of Man

Fingers crossed Kay

Offline Chucky_60

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 06 April 21 02:13 BST (UK) »
Morning Kay

William Northey & Elizabeth Watterson had 9 children all I whom I have found birth and baptism records for. Yes the surname was spell differently on many of them but they all add up. Of cause Elizabeth's family appears to be rather large on the Isle (there are Watterson's everywhere) I could have the wrong one.

As William was living and working with his father in-law Thomas Watterson on the 1851 census I'm more inclined to think that he went to the Isle for work fell in love with his bosses daughter and lived happy ever after. lol :) I just need to find where he came from.

I still have a cousin alive (88) who speaks very fondly of the Isle and I have found a newspaper clipping from 1959 when his mums visited.

I will keep digging.

Chucky
Vaughan & Everson, Stilling & Smith, Crocker & Hogg, Northey & England, deCheppe & Barley, Broad & Wise

Offline KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 24 April 21 09:35 BST (UK) »
FamilySearch is showing, for 1851 census, some William's and his father born mainly in Devon or Cornwall.
Surnames shown as Northey, Northy and Northway ;)

Watterson is a very common surname on the Isle of Man :D
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)