Author Topic: MacLeans of Grishipol (Coll) and the Grishipol Estate  (Read 1062 times)

Offline Douglas McLean

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
MacLeans of Grishipol (Coll) and the Grishipol Estate
« on: Sunday 04 April 21 20:16 BST (UK) »
Greetings,

I would be most interested in hearing from anyone with information about the MacLean and related families who lived on the Grishipol estate during the late 17th and early 18th centuries. Also anyone with information about the estate itself, a 1000 acre farm on the north shore of Coll. I can also share quite a bit of information on Grishipol and the MacLeans who lived there.

Specifically, I seek information about John MacLean, first laird of Grishipol, and Finvola MacKinnon; John MacLean, 2nd of Grishipol, and Margaret MacLean (nee MacLean) and Lachlan MacLean,3rd of Grishipol, and Ann MacLean (nee MacLean). Lachlan became a merchant in Dumbarton, was admitted a burgess there in 1699 and was a joint bailee for Argyll on Tiree until 1675. The 19th century clan histories provide little information about them and Rev. John McLean (second son of Lachlan who went to Antrim in 1689) and nothing about other members of their families. Maclean-Bristol provides a fair amount of information on them and "the second MacLeans" at Grishipol (c.1695 to c.1725). Two other Grishipol MacLeans in addition to Rev. McLean emigrated to Ulster in the late 17th century. (From Clan to Regiment, Table 8) James MacLean provides a good amount of information on Rev. John McLean in Reward is Secondary. Given Lachlan's ties to Dumbarton, I am also interested in information on MacLeans in that burgh from circa 1650 to 1730 and can share some information on them obtained from the OPR. Please see also my recent post seeking information on Coll MacLeans emigrating to Ulster.

Offline Mhairi28

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: MacLeans of Grishipol (Coll) and the Grishipol Estate
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 09 May 21 20:10 BST (UK) »
Sorry if I am stating the obvious but have you tried posting on the Coll Genealogy site?

Offline Mhairi28

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: MacLeans of Grishipol (Coll) and the Grishipol Estate
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 09 May 21 20:21 BST (UK) »
Apologies, I have just found your post on the site. I should have checked first