Author Topic: Mary Stalla, Brooklyn, NY  (Read 431 times)

Online Erato

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Old Powder House, 1703
    • View Profile
Mary Stalla, Brooklyn, NY
« on: Sunday 04 April 21 22:18 BST (UK) »
I am looking for any information on Mary Stalla who died in Brooklyn in 1847.  I suspect she may have been the mother of Robert Harvey Stalla who was recorded on the 1840 census in Brooklyn with a 70-80 year-old female individual in his household.
Wiltshire:  Banks, Taylor
Somerset:  Duddridge, Richards, Barnard, Pillinger
Gloucestershire:  Barnard, Marsh, Crossman
Bristol:  Banks, Duddridge, Barnard
Down:  Ennis, McGee
Wicklow:  Chapman, Pepper
Wigtownshire:  Logan, Conning
Wisconsin:  Ennis, Chapman, Logan, Ware
Maine:  Ware, Mitchell, Tarr, Davis

Offline oldohiohome

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Mary Stalla, Brooklyn, NY
« Reply #1 on: Monday 05 April 21 00:47 BST (UK) »
I'm sure you have thought of all this, but:

Can you find a city directory for Brooklyn for 1847? Ancestry only has them from 1862 onward. Was there a Stalla at 64 Jay Street?

Are you looking at the Robert Hervey Stally, christened 16 July 1809 at All Saints, Long Stanton, Cambridge, England, son of William and Mary?

Whether that is him or not, have you found any trace of Robert Stalla's father (Mary's husband) in the US? Robert was here by at least 1838 when his oldest daughter mentioned in 1850 was born.

Any passenger manifests for Robert or his parents? I would guess not, or you would be more sure that Mary Stalla (d 1847) was his mother.

Negative proof - can you not find Robert's parents in England in 1841? and can you not find their deaths in England? or births/baptisms of children after a certain year?

Have you seen a mention of Robert's father's death in Brooklyn, named William maybe?

Online Erato

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Old Powder House, 1703
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 05 April 21 02:06 BST (UK) »
Yes, I think that Robert Harvey Stalla was the Robert Hervey Stally from All Saints, Long Stanton, Cambridge, although it is not 100% proven.  [On the 1900 census, his daughter gave her father's birthplace as Cambridge, England].  I have never found Robert [or his parents] on any passenger list.  I have no record of his parents in the US.  The surname got variously mangled - Stalla, Stally, Stalley, Staley, Tally, etc., but Stalla appears to have been the version used by Robert himself and by his widow until her death.  In later generations, the name was changed to Stella.

Robert H. Stalla married Jane Logan [sister of my gg-grandfather] in New York in about 1838ish.  They had six children, all born in Brooklyn.

1840 - Stalla, Robert H., laborer, 36 Henry Brooklyn, NY.  [General & business directory for 1840-41. Brooklyn: T.& J.W.Leslie & W.F.Chichester,1840.] 

1840 census - Robert Stalla., Brooklyn, Kings County, New York; 1 male 30-40; 2 females <5; 1 female 20-30; 1 female 70-80

1850 census - Robertt H. Stalla, 4th Ward, Brooklyn, New York; age 42; married; porter; born in England; with wife and children Elizabeth, Mary A., William, Joseph, and Jane

1850-51 - Stally, Robert H., porter, 130 Adams Street.  [Hearne's 1850-51 Brooklyn City Directory.]

Robert apparently died before the 1855 NY census but I have found no record of his death; his wife was recorded as a widow at that time.  She appears in Brooklyn city directories or censuses in 1855, 1865, 1867, 1868, 1870, 1871, 1875, 1876, 1878, 1880, 1881, 1883, 1884 and 1885 - usually with the surname spelled Stalla.  She died in 1888 and is buried in Green-Wood Cemetery, Brooklyn under the surname Stella.

Offline willsy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 06 April 21 21:23 BST (UK) »
I was wondering about this reference for Robert Harvey Staller, Brooklyn

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:QVTW-KBMX
Willsy

Ward, Newark (Nottingham), Leicester, Scarborough
Warren, Northampton, Leicester
Moore, Leicestershire
Hunt, Leicestershire
Kirkman, Leicestershire
Hurst, Leicester, Stowmarket
Kendrick, Leicestershire
Eld, Leicestershire
Essex Edey/Eady Elsden/Elsdon

Census Transcriptions are Crown Copyright from National Archives

Online Erato

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Old Powder House, 1703
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 06 April 21 21:57 BST (UK) »
Yes, I'm aware of that record and I consider it a 'probable.'  There are so many variations of the name that it was a relief when they all later settled on Stella.  My grandmother said that her own family [the Logans] simply could not wrap their heads around the name 'Stalla' and always referred to them as the 'Staleys.'  Indeed, one of the sons, William Stalla, was visiting the Logans at the time of the 1860 census and was recorded as William Staley.