Author Topic: John Stewart/Stuart and Christina Bakie/Baikie  (Read 1840 times)

Offline Craigellachie2019

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: John Stewart/Stuart and Christina Bakie/Baikie
« Reply #18 on: Tuesday 06 April 21 11:32 BST (UK) »
Wivenhoe, James death was notified by his son George who I have in my tree.  James is described as a widower of Margaret McLeod. In the 1881 census James, 59 sons Alexander 23, William 21, George 16 are all fishermen living at Seatown Drainie, Moray. Margaret is 57, wife.  All members of the Stewart family on that census were born in Lossiemouth.  I have the 1890 death cert of Margaret Stewart nee McLeod and she died at Seatown Lossiemouth, the informant being her husband James. I have an Ancestry Record - Scotland, Select Births and Baptisms, 1564-1950 showing the birth of their son James Stewart 24 Jul 1858 to James Stewart and Margaret MacLeod. Also their son John same Ancestry record search born 25 Dec 1852 to James Stewart and Margaret MacLeod, but I also have the Scotlandspeople cert of the marriage of John Stewart and Elizabeth McLeod showing his parents as James Stewart and Margaret McLeod and his home in 1876 is Lossiemouth. I have the same Ancestry record search for Alexander Stewart born 5 May 1858 in Drainie to James Stewart and Margaret McLeod.  I also have a marriage of William Stewart in 1885 aged 25 to Elspet Stewart showing his parents as Jame Stewart and Margaret McLeod. Also Lossiemouth marriage and the Ancestry Scotland births record of his birth on 3 Sep 1860. Lastly their son George Stewart - same Ancestry birth record 24 Dec 1865 - Drainie, Moray. I also have George's marriage to Jessie Sutherland in 1890 showing his parents as James Stewart and Maggie McLeod.  In 1890 James is still alive.  Maggie is deceased.
Scotland: Stewart, Smith, Edward, Barron, Macdonald, Sinclair, Millar/Miller, Ross, Salmon(d), Cuthel, Cuthill, Macalister, McAlaster, McAllister, Forsyth, Haddow, Todd, Aitken, Gartshore, Mackie, Strang
England: Lucas, Parkinson, Nicholls
Ireland: Keys, McAuliffe, Achilles, Fenner/Fannin, Halpin
Germany: Achilles, Bartels, Barthold, Pralow, Schreiber, Kloth, Cords

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday 06 April 21 11:39 BST (UK) »
Make sure that you check all the Ancestry 'records' by looking at the originals on Scotland's People. They may be accurate index listings, but you cannot be sure until you have seen the originals.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Tuesday 06 April 21 11:40 BST (UK) »
Thank you Forfarian.  I have a list of things to purchase now from Scotlandspeople and no doubt that will lead to more.  Interesting with Crocket.  My 3rd gr grandfather John Stewart married Janet Crockett.  Her father was William born about 1773 who married Janet Young.  I am likely to find the James Stewart and Margaret McLeod who are in-laws of cousins x time removed etc - will end up being actual blood relations the way this is going. You have helped me quite a few times over the many years here.  I'm not sure if you knew I actually made it over to beautiful Scotland in 2019 and spent a week in Moray with a 2nd cousin met through ancestry searching and this site.  Beautiful area.  Wish I had done it when I was younger.  May never have left.
Scotland: Stewart, Smith, Edward, Barron, Macdonald, Sinclair, Millar/Miller, Ross, Salmon(d), Cuthel, Cuthill, Macalister, McAlaster, McAllister, Forsyth, Haddow, Todd, Aitken, Gartshore, Mackie, Strang

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Tuesday 06 April 21 11:42 BST (UK) »
I did wonder fleetingly if the 8-year-old Margaret McLeod in the 1861 census was James' future wife. But she is much too young.

Glad you made it over here - you should have dropped in for a coffee :)
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Saturday 12 June 21 13:36 BST (UK) »
Thank you Forfarian - that would have been lovely.  I am not sure where you are but I drove into Scotland at Gretna Green, up to Glasgow, Bannockburn, Glamis, Forfar, Brechin, Dunnotar Castle near STonehaven, over to Aberlour, all the fishing towns from Nairn around to Cullen, Elgin (of course), Aberlour, Cairngorms, Carr Bridge, Culloden, Inverness, Rosskeen, over to Big Sands, Inverewe Gardens, just over the bridge to Skye, Eilean Donan Castle, Loch Ness, Loch Lomond, Glencoe, Troon, Falkirk, Edinburgh, Dunfermline, South Queensferry.  3 weeks.  Maybe next time? I spent time with a lovely DNA match - we are still trying to find our common connection but probably is Moray/Banff/Nairn area with my father's Stewart side.  Also a lot of time with 3 2nd cousins found through my searching about 8 years ago.  We had been corresponding and phoning.  Lovely to meet and spend time in person.

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Saturday 12 June 21 14:29 BST (UK) »
That's quite a good tour for 3 weeks. You passed within 5 minutes' drive of the house I grew up in, the one I lived in when I had my first job, the two I lived in when I had my second job, the one I lived in when I had my third job, and the one I live in now :)

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Sunday 13 June 21 03:36 BST (UK) »
It's an awful shame I missed you.  Maybe next time  :)