Author Topic: John Stewart/Stuart and Christina Bakie/Baikie  (Read 1797 times)

Offline wivenhoe

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: John Stewart/Stuart and Christina Bakie/Baikie
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 06 April 21 09:08 BST (UK) »

What occupation do you see for James STEWART, died 1897.  What occupation do you see for father John.

Can you describe the family of James STEWART (died 1897) and Margaret McLEOD.

When and where did they marry?

What names, birthplace, birth dates do you have for these children.

Offline Craigellachie2019

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 06 April 21 09:16 BST (UK) »
Forfarian, sorry - I should have explained more clearly.  When you are trying to narrow down which particular person's death cert you are looking for after 1855 - eg - I am online now with Scotlandspeople and there are 24 pages of Christina Stewart deaths -  just showing her mother's maiden name - which if I knew - would be easy.  I narrowed it down to Moray - 7 entries - but what if she moved?  Still the same problem  4 mother's maiden names - 3 blank ones.  But actually - none of the ages fit anyway.  I was being more general with more response before. 
Scotland: Stewart, Smith, Edward, Barron, Macdonald, Sinclair, Millar/Miller, Ross, Salmon(d), Cuthel, Cuthill, Macalister, McAlaster, McAllister, Forsyth, Haddow, Todd, Aitken, Gartshore, Mackie, Strang
England: Lucas, Parkinson, Nicholls
Ireland: Keys, McAuliffe, Achilles, Fenner/Fannin, Halpin
Germany: Achilles, Bartels, Barthold, Pralow, Schreiber, Kloth, Cords

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 06 April 21 09:32 BST (UK) »
I have had a look in the 1841 census, and there is no Chris* St*art in Drainie. There are only two in Moray. One is too young (23) and the other, though old enough (45) is in Cromdale, which is about as far as you can get from Lossiemouth and still be in Moray.

There is a Christina Beakey in Lossiemouth, but she's listed as 25 so can't be your Christina Baikie.

I did the same search in 1851, and there is no possible candidate for your Christina. (The one who was 45 in 1841 was 49 in 1851, still in Cromdale, and unmarried.)

I also searched for a death of Chris* St*art, other surname Ba*k*, and the only result was one aged 43 in 1882 in Dalkeith, who is obviously not the right person.

So I infer that Christina Baikie died before the 1841 census.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 06 April 21 09:33 BST (UK) »
Hi Wivenhoe
On James death cert in 1897 he is described as a fisherman.  His father John deceased is also described as a fisherman.  In the 1881 census James is described as a fisherman.  A James Stuart married Marg. McLeod on 13 Oct 1820 at Drainie but this can't be my couple according to his age at death and age on the 1881 census.  However that is the only marriage I can find.  Their first child was born 24 July 1848 at Drainie, Moray, Scotland.
Scotland: Stewart, Smith, Edward, Barron, Macdonald, Sinclair, Millar/Miller, Ross, Salmon(d), Cuthel, Cuthill, Macalister, McAlaster, McAllister, Forsyth, Haddow, Todd, Aitken, Gartshore, Mackie, Strang

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 06 April 21 09:45 BST (UK) »
On the other hand, there is a marriage of a John Stuart to a Margaret Baikie in Drainie in 1815, and they had two recorded children, John in 1816 and Jean in 1818. Could Christina be a mistake, and James' mother was actually Margaret? It would surely be quite a coincidence if two John St*rts both married Baikies in Drainie within a  decade?

There is a household in Lossiemouth in 1841 consisting of
John Stewart, 45
Margaret Beakey, 45
Jane Stewart, 25
James Stewart, 20
Janet Stewart, 15
Christian Beakey, 25

In 1851 there are
John Stuart, 50, fisherman
Margaret Stuart, wife, 58
Jane Stuart, daughter, 19
Ann Farquhar, visitor, 11

In 1861
John Stewart, 66, fisherman
Margaret Stewart, 72
Margaret McLeod, 8

Margaret Stewart, widow of John Stewart, fisherman, died in 1870 aged 89. Parents James Bakie, fisherman, mother Christina Bakie, maiden surname Crocket. Registered by James Stewart, son, fisherman, Lossiemouth. Since I've paid for the certificate there's no point in you using your credits to view it - PM me with your e-mail address and I'll send it to you.

John Stewart, 67, died in Lossiemouth in 1863. I haven't looked at that death certificate but I think if you look at that and is says he was married to Margaret Baikie, you might have your answer.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline wivenhoe

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 06 April 21 09:50 BST (UK) »
On the death certificate, 1897 -

Who is the informant?

Is there an address for place of death?

Is the dead man a  widower?

Finding James STEWART, census 1881 is a challenge.

".. In the 1881 census James is described as a fisherman"

Can you give details for this census entry, 1881.  Names, ages, occupation, birthplace for everyone.

What other BDM certificates do you have for these people you are researching?

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 06 April 21 09:55 BST (UK) »
Forfarian - snap - I was about to ask you the same thing.  I just found their marriage on Scotlandspeople in 1815 too.  I decided to look for any Stewart/Stuart, James who married in Moray prior to mid 1825 with a wife's name that was similar.  I had found an 1841 census with Marg Beakey in it too so that gave me the idea, then saw your answer.  Wow thank you.  I think we may have found the mystery.  I will take this further.  Thank you for the extra census details too.  Actually - just revisiting your 1841 census which shows a Christian Beakey aged 25 (mine on Freecen hadn't shown her).  Interesting.

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 06 April 21 09:58 BST (UK) »
Forfarian - snap - I was about to ask you the same thing.  I just found their marriage on Scotlandspeople in 1815 too.  I decided to look for any Stewart/Stuart, James who married in Moray prior to mid 1825 with a wife's name that was similar.  I had found an 1841 census with Marg Beakey in it too so that gave me the idea, then saw your answer.  Wow thank you.  I think we may have found the mystery.  I will take this further.  Thank you for the extra census details too.  Actually - just revisiting your 1841 census which shows a Christian Beakey aged 25 (mine on Freecen hadn't shown her).  Interesting.
Yes, I looked first on FreeCEN and it shows Christina Beakey as a single-person household. Then I looked at FindMyPast and it shows her in the same household as Margaret Beakey. You'll need to view the original to check which is correct.

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 06 April 21 11:01 BST (UK) »
Children of James Beckie (another spelling variant!) and Christian Crocket(t), married 30 June 1785
James, baptised 22 May 1786
Margaret, baptised 26 April 1788
John, baptised 27 December 1790
Jean, bapstied 14 December 1792
All in Drainie.