Author Topic: Maiden name of Bridget McNamara?  (Read 2750 times)

Offline Ghostwheel

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Maiden name of Bridget McNamara?
« on: Monday 05 April 21 03:17 BST (UK) »
I was wondering if anyone could figure out the maiden name of a woman named Bridget McNamara (married to a John) who appears on both the 1901/1911 censuses for Liscannor.

In 1911, she is 73, older than her husband, and has been married for 28 years.  There is a visitor named Mary Donohoe who is 88.  Take that with a grain of salt though, as she is illiterate.  And her age was 56 on the 1901 census.

She is the best candidate for a women that I am searching for, who lived in Liscannor.  Maiden name: Bridget Torpey.  Married name: (m1860?) Bridget Sullivan.  She was married to a Pat Sullivan who I believe died in 1878 in Ennistymon, though Pat Sullivan is a common name.

Pat Sullivan was called a fisherman at least once, and Mary Donohoe appears as a sponsor for one of their child's baptisms in 1865.  I have strong reason to suspect that Bridget was alive at least up through about 1922, though I don't know her address then.  (One of her daughters from America visited her in Ireland.)

Bridget on the 1911 census:
http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Clare/Liscannor/Liscannor_Town/359064/

I'm guessing this is Mary Donohoe in 1901: (also older than her husband)
http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Clare/Liscannor/Liscannor/1075399/

Offline Ghostwheel

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Maiden name of Bridget McNamara?
« Reply #1 on: Monday 05 April 21 03:24 BST (UK) »
I think she might have still been called Bridget Sullivan (and been in Liscannor) as late as 1885.  At least, there is a woman in the Petty Courts with that name. 

Something to do with being evicted, which makes me think she is a widow.

Offline goldie61

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 05 April 21 04:20 BST (UK) »
You have written 'Mary Donohoe' three times in your post.
Just to say that in all the links you have posted her name is 'Donohue'.
It is also transcribed thus in the records, and is easily recognisable on the census forms as that.
In the long run, it probably won't make much difference, as you're no doubt searching for 'sounds like' when you look for her.
Lane, Burgess: Cheshire. Finney, Rogers, Gilman:Derbys
Cochran, Nicol, Paton, Bruce:Scotland. Bertolle:London
Bainbridge, Christman, Jeffs: Staffs

Offline Ghostwheel

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 05 April 21 04:29 BST (UK) »
Donoghue is a very variable name, so I'm afraid I can never keep track of it myself.   

Just found a new spelling: "Donoghoue"

Mary (assuming same) had a child named James in 1865, with John "Donoghoue."  Her maiden name was then Sheehan (don't recognize it).   She lived on the same street as Bridget Sullivan back then, Kilmainee (not sure exactly how to read it, and many people were probably on it.) 

Looked it up in the parish register.  Didn't recognize the sponsors.

Offline Ghostwheel

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 05 April 21 04:42 BST (UK) »
Same "Donoghoue" couple, familysearch lists an Owen born Jan 1871. (though I can't find it in the civil records myself).  Can in the church records.  Don't recognize the sponsors. 

Maybe, it is not a good approach.  By the way, I just saw "Donohow."   ;D (another new one on me) 

Offline Ghostwheel

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 05 April 21 06:07 BST (UK) »
I realized the husband's name McNamara is another sponsor name (Margaret) for Bridget Torpey and Pat Sullivan in 1861

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 05 April 21 06:33 BST (UK) »
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 05 April 21 06:43 BST (UK) »
She is the best candidate for a women that I am searching for, who lived in Liscannor.  Maiden name: Bridget Torpey.  Married name: (m1860?) Bridget Sullivan.  She was married to a Pat Sullivan who I believe died in 1878 in Ennistymon, though Pat Sullivan is a common name

Should ‘Pat’ Sullivan be Tim or Thomas?
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Ghostwheel

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 05 April 21 14:50 BST (UK) »
Heywood,

You are correct.  I goofed when I said "Pat Sullivan."

I meant  "Timothy" (most frequent) , also one time "Tom" and another time "Thady."  I've thought that maybe he was called "Tadgh."

Good find with the death cert.  I didn't even think to look for it.  I do believe, it must be her.

I am starting to wonder if "Timothy" could be the "Tom" born to Timothy Sullivan and Mary Liddy (later interpretation presumes Liddy, common name in parish)  (no address, but Liscannor Parish) in Nov 1843.  (No other births) On the famine relief list for 1846, a widow of Tim Sullivan (I presume same) appears with the address of Liscannor.  It says the family is laboring class (same class as later Timothy.) and "very poor."

Later Timothy had two daughters named Mary.  And they came second after two Bridgets.  Some say repeating names are an extra sign that it is probably grandparent's name. Though Mary is very common

I'd usually say that 16/17 (calculated time at marriage) is too young, but there are a couple factors that make me wonder.  There are no other Sullivan fathers for Liscannor parish between Tim in 1861 and this other Tim in 1843.  And I searched the civil records 1860-1870, and didn't see any either, at least at for the village of Liscannor.

Later Tim had a son named Pat.  Pat was married twice.  Both times, the first born was born earlier than 9 months after the wedding.  Second time, the parents of the bride and groom were fake names.  Makes me think that his father might have also been a fast mover.