Author Topic: Alfred Cecil Arbuthnott born in Ceylon - settled in Australia  (Read 1712 times)

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
Re: Alfred Cecil Arbuthnott born in Ceylon - settled in Australia
« Reply #27 on: Friday 09 April 21 09:58 BST (UK) »
There's an online tree that gives her date of birth as 17 August 1920, and place as Melbourne Victoria.  It also has her death as 15 May 1999, Mackay, Queensland and her marriage and various children (marked as private).   Sarah is there with two 'tt' in her maiden name, both marriages.  Alfred too, with his ancestors and arrived as 13 January 1897... and the tree owner last signed in '3-11 months ago'.

So perhaps there's a starting point for some fresh eyes to look for a birth in Victoria BDM ... 1920 is more than 100 years ago ...  :)

Add, Qld BDM online index have the marriage as 6 September 1941 so I can understand why her father had given permission for her to marry.  .... Banns, three consectutive Sundays ... so close to her 17 August 1920 + 21 years...  so I see nothing amiss there.   Plus the CoE clergy ought to have submitted his baptisms to the Diocese, but some were remiss ... however, have you looked for his next postings ...  here's a good link to help with some biographical details  and postings about each CofE Reverend.  http://anglicanhistory.org/aus/cci/ (cable index ... scroll down !)

I am very NSW centric, so I am not much chop with Vic BDM searchings.  Sorry. 

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline Evenmoresmiths

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Alfred Cecil Arbuthnott born in Ceylon - settled in Australia
« Reply #28 on: Friday 09 April 21 10:49 BST (UK) »
That tree belongs to my sister in law.  She had a little dabble quite some time ago using Ancestry.  However, some of the information on the tree is incorrect.  The birth date is quoted is the one the family used for all of Joyce's life.  However, I recently found information to dispute the date.  Once, again, if she was born in Victoria, it was not as Edna Joyce or Joy.  The marriage date is correct, and I am sitting beside one of the products of that marriage as I type.  You have just confirmed what I vaguely remembered about Banns being 3 consecutive Sundays.  I want to look at passenger lists for coastal sailings because Alfred would have had to sail from Mackay to Melbourne.  I believe Find My Past has the rights to that information.  I will look at the link you sent relating to C of E.  Thank you