Author Topic: Mass Observation One Day Diaries sought - Wed 12 May 2021  (Read 3921 times)

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Mass Observation One Day Diaries sought - Wed 12 May 2021
« on: Monday 05 April 21 07:32 BST (UK) »
http://www.massobs.org.uk/write-for-us/12th-may

I know it is still more than a month away yet but I thought I would ask RootsChatters if they would like to consider writing a one day diary for Mass Observation on May 12 2021?  Last year they received over 5,000 entries and they write that they were 'touched' at how so many had been willing to share their stories.

Mass Observation diaries started in 1937.  Some of the ones from the WW2 period were later made into books - some of you may be aware of the Nella Last diaries and the superb drama 'Housewife, 49' which starred the wonderful Victoria Wood in the role of Nella.

I think this year as we have all just lived through another type of 'war' on covid, these one day diaries will be of particular historical significance for future generations.  This year we are invited not only to share our day but we can also share our reflections on the year gone and our thoughts of the future.  Will you do your bit? 

Thank you for reading this.

Conroy, Fitzpatrick, Watson, Miller, Davis/Davies, Brown, Senior, Dodds, Grieveson, Gamesby, Simpson, Rose, Gilboy, Malloy, Dalton, Young, Saint, Anderson, Allen, McKetterick, McCabe, Drummond, Parkinson, Armstrong, McCarroll, Innes, Marshall, Atkinson, Glendinning, Fenwick, Bonner

Offline Jackiemh

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Mass Observation One Day Diaries sought - Wed 12 May 2021
« Reply #1 on: Monday 05 April 21 10:03 BST (UK) »
Definitely. I have done it in previous years and I am glad that you have put out a reminder.
Jackie
Bateman, Baylis, Bellotti, Boag, Bower (Stillgebauer), Cattermole, Chester, Dullage, Felix, French, Fursse, Garrett, Gilbert, Harding, Haynes, Hazelwood, Plume, Putland, Rudge, Strickson, Vine, Warren, Whitehead, Whitehorn, Wiltshire, Youthed and many more

Offline Bearnan

• RootsChat Member
  • The boss
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 05 April 21 10:37 BST (UK) »
I shall be taking part again. 12th May is my sisters birthday, she's my only sibling and I haven't seen her since just before the first lockdown :'(.

Offline ThrelfallYorky

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 05 April 21 16:08 BST (UK) »
I shall be doing the diary again this year - hopefully it can't be much more of a none-event than last year's was, but then I suppose it reflects what is actually going on in the country at the time.
TY
Threlfall (Southport), Isherwood (lancs & Canada), Newbould + Topliss(Derby), Keating & Cummins (Ireland + lancs), Fisher, Strong& Casson (all Cumberland) & Downie & Bowie, Linlithgow area Scotland . Also interested in Leigh& Burrows,(Lancashire) Griffiths (Shropshire & lancs), Leaver (Lancs/Yorks) & Anderson(Cumberland and very elusive)

Online josey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 05 April 21 16:25 BST (UK) »
Thank you for the reminder. I have bookmarked the page. will be interesting to see what additional freedoms we might have by then, and which of those I will choose to take up.
Seeking: RC baptism Philip Murray Feb ish 1814 ? nr Chatham Kent.
IRE: Kik DRAY[EA], PURCELL, WHITE: Mea LYNCH: Tip MURRAY, SHEEDY: Wem ALLEN, ENGLISHBY; Dub PENROSE: Lim DUNN[E], FRAWLEY, WILLIAMS.
87th Regiment RIF: MURRAY
ENG; Marylebone HAYTER, TROU[W]SDALE, WILLIAMS,DUNEVAN Con HAMPTON, TREMELLING Wry CLEGG, HOLLAND, HORSEFIELD Coventry McGINTY
CAN; Halifax & Pictou: HOLLAND, WHITE, WILLIAMSON

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 06 April 21 07:26 BST (UK) »
That is good to read that some of you will be joining in again too, this year. :)
Hopefully, you might be able to spend time with your sister this year Bearnan?
I think no matter how humdrum non event our day might feel to us, this will be of interest to people in the future, especially our direct/indirect descendants.
Yes, it will be interesting to see what freedoms we have by May 12 and what we will choose to take up. 
I am so happy that I will be able to meet up with my son and his family again and I am also quite desperate to get to a hairdresser.  I have reached a point now where I would be happy to wear an entire head covering rather than just a face covering. :-[
Conroy, Fitzpatrick, Watson, Miller, Davis/Davies, Brown, Senior, Dodds, Grieveson, Gamesby, Simpson, Rose, Gilboy, Malloy, Dalton, Young, Saint, Anderson, Allen, McKetterick, McCabe, Drummond, Parkinson, Armstrong, McCarroll, Innes, Marshall, Atkinson, Glendinning, Fenwick, Bonner

Offline Mowsehowse

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 06 April 21 08:20 BST (UK) »
Most certainly RTL, and thanks for the reminder.
It would probably help if you give me another nudge in five weeks time. ;)

I have my submissions for the previous years too, and I always read through them.

My hair has grown quite long, I trim the ends off myself every few weeks. I wear it clipped back at the base of my neck, or twisted up in hotter weather. It doesn't really matter much as no-one is looking!
BORCHARDT in Poland/Germany, BOSKOWITZ in Czechoslovakia, Hungary + Austria, BUSS in Baden, Germany + Switzerland, FEKETE in Hungary + Austria, GOTTHILF in Hammerstein + Berlin, GUBLER, GYSI, LABHARDT & RYCHNER in Switzerland, KONIG & KRONER in Germany, PLACZEK, WUNSCH & SILBERBERG in Poland.

Also: ROWSE in Brixham, Tenby, Hull & Ramsgate. Strongman, in Falmouth. Champion. Coke. Eame/s. Gibbons. Passmore. Pulsever. Sparkes in Brixham & Ramsgate. Toms in Cornwall. Waymoth. Wyatt.

Offline Top-of-the-hill

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 06 April 21 14:12 BST (UK) »
  I have a file of my previous diaries, and they don't vary much! I will do it again though.
Pay, Kent
Codham/Coltham, Kent
Kent, Felton, Essex
Staples, Wiltshire

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 07 April 21 05:56 BST (UK) »
Yes, I'll give you a nudge, when the time comes, Mowsehowse.  ;)
That's good that you can tie your hair back.  Mine is in growing out layers and getting wilder by the day.  I overheard a woman yesterday say to her companion "I don't care what I look like as long as I've got my hat".  I feel the same way  and only wish I was able to wear a hat  for my shifts at work.  :-[ Roll on next week!

I expect some of us might be writing a repeat of previous years, TotH.  I think they might be quite interested to hear how covid has affected people's mental health and how people have fared with change of circumstances and restrictions.