Author Topic: Mass Observation One Day Diaries sought - Wed 12 May 2021  (Read 3944 times)

Offline Caw1

• RootsChat Senior
  • Joyce Irene Harriss 1920 - 2011
    • View Profile
Re: Mass Observation One Day Diaries sought - Wed 12 May 2021
« Reply #45 on: Thursday 13 May 21 16:27 BST (UK) »
I’ve got two of them ( new cousins that is) and we’ve had constant emails all afternoon... it’s brilliant and it does at least confirm my Dad is my Dad... I know that sounds an odd thing to say but theirs and my back ground is quite perculiar that you always wonder 😂😢.

Caroline
Guy - UK,USA
Bangerter -UK,Australia,Switzerland
Harriss - UK, Australia
Merrall - UK
Swinnock - UK
Lloyd - UK

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: Thursday 13 May 21 16:58 BST (UK) »
Well done Mowsehowse in getting yours sent off already.  You have inspired me to get on with mine and I have just sent it off now so that is that for another year.  :)

Congratulations Caroline on these new cousins. You must be feeling over the moon, what an exciting discovery!  :D It always feels good to feel that things are confirmed.  :)
I will never forget how elated I felt when a half cousin of my Mother contacted me in 2014 when I had been embarking on a long search for my missing maternal Great Grandmother.

Just to add I have had a confirmation email that my entry has been received.
Conroy, Fitzpatrick, Watson, Miller, Davis/Davies, Brown, Senior, Dodds, Grieveson, Gamesby, Simpson, Rose, Gilboy, Malloy, Dalton, Young, Saint, Anderson, Allen, McKetterick, McCabe, Drummond, Parkinson, Armstrong, McCarroll, Innes, Marshall, Atkinson, Glendinning, Fenwick, Bonner

Offline Bearnan

• RootsChat Member
  • The boss
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: Thursday 13 May 21 19:16 BST (UK) »
Just sent my diary off, what a boring day it was too! At least my sisters birthday card and present arrived on the day. It comes to something when you get excited about having a supermarket delivery.  ;D

Offline Top-of-the-hill

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: Thursday 13 May 21 22:03 BST (UK) »
  I have just sent mine off - I actually had two "events" to report! A group of five had our first craft group meeting since one last summer, outdoors in a member's garden, and it was so nice to just sit and natter! In the evening I joined a Zoom talk with the gardening society. Otherwise it would have been washing up, gardening, reading, and playing with the computer. ::)
Pay, Kent
Codham/Coltham, Kent
Kent, Felton, Essex
Staples, Wiltshire

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: Friday 14 May 21 07:01 BST (UK) »
I hope your sister enjoyed her Birthday, Bearnan.  You must be relieved your card and prezzie arrived in time.

Glad life is gradually getting a bit back to normal for you ToTH.
It is good that you have both got your diaries sent off early too.  I wonder with all the publicity there has been this year they might receive more than the 5,000 they got last year?
I have just found out that there is a another Mass Observation diaries book out covering the war years - 'Blitz Spirit'.  From the description (i have seen this described as 'darkly funny') I can see parallels with recent times.  I will be adding this on my reading list.

Conroy, Fitzpatrick, Watson, Miller, Davis/Davies, Brown, Senior, Dodds, Grieveson, Gamesby, Simpson, Rose, Gilboy, Malloy, Dalton, Young, Saint, Anderson, Allen, McKetterick, McCabe, Drummond, Parkinson, Armstrong, McCarroll, Innes, Marshall, Atkinson, Glendinning, Fenwick, Bonner

Offline PrawnCocktail

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: Friday 14 May 21 08:23 BST (UK) »
Doubt I’m going to get mine sent off. I did it, and then my computer hard drive corrupted during a Microsoft update overnight. While everything is backed up, I finished that too late for that day’s back-up, so I’ve probably lost it!
Website: http://freepages.rootsweb.com/~towcesterfamilies/genealogy/
Towcester - anything, any time
Cheshire - Lambert, Houghland, Birtwisle
Liverpool - Platt, Cunningham, Ditton
London - Notley, Elsom, Billett
Oxfordshire - Hitchcock, Smith, Leonard, Taunt
Durham - Hepburn, Eltringham
Berwickshire - Guthrie, Crawford
Somerset - Taylor (Bath)
Gloucestershire - Verrinder, Colborn
Dorset - Westlake

Offline Mowsehowse

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: Friday 14 May 21 08:24 BST (UK) »
Doubt I’m going to get mine sent off. I did it, and then my computer hard drive corrupted during a Microsoft update overnight. While everything is backed up, I finished that too late for that day’s back-up, so I’ve probably lost it!

How very annoying for you!!  :'(
BORCHARDT in Poland/Germany, BOSKOWITZ in Czechoslovakia, Hungary + Austria, BUSS in Baden, Germany + Switzerland, FEKETE in Hungary + Austria, GOTTHILF in Hammerstein + Berlin, GUBLER, GYSI, LABHARDT & RYCHNER in Switzerland, KONIG & KRONER in Germany, PLACZEK, WUNSCH & SILBERBERG in Poland.

Also: ROWSE in Brixham, Tenby, Hull & Ramsgate. Strongman, in Falmouth. Champion. Coke. Eame/s. Gibbons. Passmore. Pulsever. Sparkes in Brixham & Ramsgate. Toms in Cornwall. Waymoth. Wyatt.

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: Friday 14 May 21 22:20 BST (UK) »
PrawnCocktail, how frustrating for you that you may have lost your work on this. 😯
I have read that they will accept physical/hard copies but they ask that this type of diary entry is not sent until after lockdown.