Author Topic: Mass Observation One Day Diaries sought - Wed 12 May 2021  (Read 3941 times)

Offline Mowsehowse

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Mass Observation One Day Diaries sought - Wed 12 May 2021
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 07 April 21 07:57 BST (UK) »
I was surprised I made my first in 2017.
How long has everyone else been doing it?
BORCHARDT in Poland/Germany, BOSKOWITZ in Czechoslovakia, Hungary + Austria, BUSS in Baden, Germany + Switzerland, FEKETE in Hungary + Austria, GOTTHILF in Hammerstein + Berlin, GUBLER, GYSI, LABHARDT & RYCHNER in Switzerland, KONIG & KRONER in Germany, PLACZEK, WUNSCH & SILBERBERG in Poland.

Also: ROWSE in Brixham, Tenby, Hull & Ramsgate. Strongman, in Falmouth. Champion. Coke. Eame/s. Gibbons. Passmore. Pulsever. Sparkes in Brixham & Ramsgate. Toms in Cornwall. Waymoth. Wyatt.

Offline Bearnan

• RootsChat Member
  • The boss
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 07 April 21 08:43 BST (UK) »
RTL, hopefully I will get to see my sister this year, we spent a lot of time together in the year before lockdown, our dad passed away March 2019 and it was comforting to be with her.

Mowsehowse I did my first one in 2017 just a few weeks after I lost my husband.

By the way I love the diary thread!

Offline Mowsehowse

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 07 April 21 08:58 BST (UK) »
Hi Bearnan.... glad you like the diary thread.... why not join in ?
Hope you and your sister can get together again very soon.
BORCHARDT in Poland/Germany, BOSKOWITZ in Czechoslovakia, Hungary + Austria, BUSS in Baden, Germany + Switzerland, FEKETE in Hungary + Austria, GOTTHILF in Hammerstein + Berlin, GUBLER, GYSI, LABHARDT & RYCHNER in Switzerland, KONIG & KRONER in Germany, PLACZEK, WUNSCH & SILBERBERG in Poland.

Also: ROWSE in Brixham, Tenby, Hull & Ramsgate. Strongman, in Falmouth. Champion. Coke. Eame/s. Gibbons. Passmore. Pulsever. Sparkes in Brixham & Ramsgate. Toms in Cornwall. Waymoth. Wyatt.

Offline Top-of-the-hill

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 07 April 21 10:54 BST (UK) »
  My first one was 2017 as well. That is probably the year we were told about it.
Pay, Kent
Codham/Coltham, Kent
Kent, Felton, Essex
Staples, Wiltshire

Offline Mowsehowse

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 07 April 21 12:11 BST (UK) »
Perhaps 2017 was the first year RTL wrote about it here?

Offline Caw1

• RootsChat Senior
  • Joyce Irene Harriss 1920 - 2011
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 07 April 21 23:52 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the reminder RTL... I shall be doing mine this year too... it’s my SiL’s birthday on 12th....
I too have been writing it since 2017... I kept copies on the computer and have a nostalgic read each year!
Don’t talk about hair!..... mine is now long enough for quite a ponytail... needs colouring mostly... I like it long... others do too...OH doesn’t! Oh well trying a new hairdresser when the time comes.... I’d love to have it up in the hairstyle my mums sporting in my avatar!

Caroline
Guy - UK,USA
Bangerter -UK,Australia,Switzerland
Harriss - UK, Australia
Merrall - UK
Swinnock - UK
Lloyd - UK

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 08 April 21 08:22 BST (UK) »
https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=771144.0

Yes, Bearnan, why not join in the diary thread?  It would be great to have you on there too I am sure.  I don't always manage to keep up but will keep popping in as I can.

Yes, it was 2017 when I saw an article about Mass Observation in a family history magazine and posted about this.  I remember that you were the first to respond Caroline to say you would do it too.  Little did we know then that several years later we would be contributing to another diary on here recording our lives during a pandemic!  :o I can hardly believe it will be the 5th year coming up in May we will be writing for Mass Observation.

Caroline, your Mother, looks like a very pretty and elegant lady with perfectly groomed hair and make up in your avatar. 
I am quite embarrassed by the state of my hair now and I am a bit nervous of cutting my own hair in case I make things worse.  I think so many of us are in the same boat.  A sister in law of mine recently wrote to me that she is looking like raggy Annie (whoever that is) and she adds that my brother now looks like Mozart. ;D
I hope you will like your new hair dresser .. I am hoping my old one will still be in business.
Conroy, Fitzpatrick, Watson, Miller, Davis/Davies, Brown, Senior, Dodds, Grieveson, Gamesby, Simpson, Rose, Gilboy, Malloy, Dalton, Young, Saint, Anderson, Allen, McKetterick, McCabe, Drummond, Parkinson, Armstrong, McCarroll, Innes, Marshall, Atkinson, Glendinning, Fenwick, Bonner

Offline Mowsehowse

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 08 April 21 08:35 BST (UK) »
Don’t talk about hair!..... mine is now long enough for quite a ponytail... needs colouring mostly... I like it long... others do too...OH doesn’t! Oh well trying a new hairdresser when the time comes.... I’d love to have it up in the hairstyle my mums sporting in my avatar!
Caroline

If you have a local college running a hair dresser's course I am sure they would be delighted to try and emulate the style for you Caroline. (I often used to go to the one in Risca, and you can negotiate if you will model for beginners or almost qualified.)
It is a lovely photo. :D

Offline Caw1

• RootsChat Senior
  • Joyce Irene Harriss 1920 - 2011
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 08 April 21 11:05 BST (UK) »
How time flies doesn’t ... non more so than over the past year which is remarkable and scary at the same time!

Thank you for your comments regarding my mother she was beautiful in her youth... I always think it sad to look at her picture aged 90 not long before she died and compare the two you’d have never known it was the same person... suppose it’s the same for us all! 😢

Don’t think we have a hairdressing college nearby... as a WI we used to go to a catering college and have a meal there as a celebration... they were very good and much cheaper than a restaurant!

Caroline
Guy - UK,USA
Bangerter -UK,Australia,Switzerland
Harriss - UK, Australia
Merrall - UK
Swinnock - UK
Lloyd - UK