Author Topic: Where was Frances Annie HUMPHRIES between 1891 and 1920?  (Read 693 times)

Offline phil57

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Where was Frances Annie HUMPHRIES between 1891 and 1920?
« on: Monday 05 April 21 15:25 BST (UK) »
Frances Annie HUMPHRIES was born in Salford, Lancs in April 1890 (GRO 1890/Q2/Salford/8d/023) the daughter of John Richard HUMPHRIES and Frances Honor LEESE. Her mother died 12 days after the birth, and in the April 1891 census she was to be found as a "nurse child" living with Edwin and Elizabeth BOWEN in Barton-upon-Irwell, Lancs, albeit entered as Frances Annie HUMPHREYS on the census form.

Her father had remarried in January 1891 and was still living in Salford with his new wife Amelia, Frances' older brother Robert and two step-daughters.

By the date of the 1901 census, Frances was no longer listed with the BOWENS, who had taken in a 27 year old William CORDWELL as a boarder. Her father JR HUMPHRIES appears in the 1901 census in Manchester, with her brother Robert, both as boarders in the home of Edward and Mary ROSE, his short marriage to Amelia apparently over, as she had remarried in the first quarter of 1894, to Matthew Aloysius SPAIN in Blackburn.

In 1902 her father remarried again and can be found as John Richard HUMPHREYS in the 1911 census, still in Manchester with his latest wife Mary, their 9 year old daughter Sybil (probably illegitimate, but that's another story) and Kate? MEARBECK, a boarder.

In August 1920 Frances Annie married Herbert Samuel MURDEN in Egleton, Rutland. She appears to have known her father's name and occupation well enough for them to accurately appear in the marriage register. A Louisa GREGORY and Thomas William GREGORY were both witnesses at the wedding, and Frances Annie referred to them subsequently as her "brother and sister by adoption".

Louisa and Thomas William were two children of Arthur and Sarah GREGORY, who lived in Egleton, so it would seem that Frances Annie had been adopted by that family at some time. Again however, she does not appear in their household in either the 1901 or 1911 censuses, nor can I find her elsewhere in Egleton - or anywhere else for that matter.

I have found a Frances Annie HUMPHREYS in the 1911 census in Bradford, a servant aged 18 years, born at Lincoln, St. Swithin's Parish. But I believe she is Frances Annie HUMPHREY, born in Lincoln R.D. GRO 1893/Q2/Lincoln/7a/543.

So can anyone help me to try and find Frances please?
Stokes - London and Essex
Hodges - Somerset
Murden - Notts
Humphries/Humphreys from Montgomeryshire