Author Topic: Slightly obscured surname help  (Read 658 times)

Offline emjayf

• RootsChat Member
  • Photo is 2020 me. Got fed up with my old silly one
    • View Profile
Slightly obscured surname help
« on: Monday 05 April 21 22:34 BST (UK) »
Hi all,

So I have this postcard to my great grandmother in Sheffield before she married. Think the date is Oct 2 1909.  That is not important. I just was curious if anyone could hazard a guess at the surname of her friend! She signs "With Love from your sincere friend Blanche..." and it is the surname I cannot make out.

I think I keep hoping I will find someone's family who was connected to my great grandmother who might be able to identify some strangers in all my old photos!! 😂

Thanks all
MJ
Fouldes.<br />Any area where our family are.  My branch started around Derbyshire, Nott's and Yorkshire.  We ended up in South Lincolnshire!  So yay!  Course any area with Fouldes in would help!  See my family tree below for what gaps I have!  Cheers!

Would also like to see any Beaumont's from Sheffield as I have lots of family photos & can't identify them!!

Offline PaulineJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Slightly obscured surname help
« Reply #1 on: Monday 05 April 21 22:38 BST (UK) »
Setters ?

Image is too large to get a "whole" look at it
All census look up transcriptions are Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/
======================================
We are not a search engine. We are human beings.

Offline bitzar

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Good things come to those who wait...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 05 April 21 22:40 BST (UK) »
I'd say...

Setters

bitzar.

EDIT:

There is a Blanche Setters who lived in Sheffield in the 1901/1911 census and married in 1914.  Her signature differs a bit though on the marriage certificate. 
ROBERTS / ROBERT / ROBERTSON (Paternal) - Dunbartonshire/Stirlingshire, Scotland
NEWEY - Leicestershire, England
FITZGERALD - Co. Cork - Ireland
HOWLETT - Suffolk, England
PHILMORE - Wiltshire, England
CHAPMAN - Cornwall - England
NICHOLLS - Cornwall - England
SHAW - Nottinghamshire, England
PRITCHARD - Salop, England
ROBERTS (Maternal) - Surrey, England

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 05 April 21 22:45 BST (UK) »
I see Setters too.
Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Offline emjayf

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Another Postcard query
« Reply #4 on: Monday 05 April 21 22:55 BST (UK) »
Another quick one before I sleep!

On the image I can see the address fine.
Miss M Beaumont
74 South St, Moor, Sheffield

And I think the date stamp is:
Nov 14th 1906

Can anyone make out the text that I have put "????" for?

"Dear Maud,
I will come up on Thursday night where you said so wait if (of?)  ????
Yours"

I bet noone would be able to make out the sign off name! Probably a capital N and F.

Thanks again!
MJ
Fouldes.<br />Any area where our family are.  My branch started around Derbyshire, Nott's and Yorkshire.  We ended up in South Lincolnshire!  So yay!  Course any area with Fouldes in would help!  See my family tree below for what gaps I have!  Cheers!

Would also like to see any Beaumont's from Sheffield as I have lots of family photos & can't identify them!!

Offline emjayf

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 05 April 21 22:59 BST (UK) »
I'd say...

Setters

bitzar.

EDIT:

There is a Blanche Setters who lived in Sheffield in the 1901/1911 census and married in 1914.  Her signature differs a bit though on the marriage certificate.

Oh wonderful! I wonder if that is her? I have never heard the surname Setters before so it could be unusual.

Thank you for that! Right better sleep now!

Thanks again
MJ

Offline Ray T

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Another Postcard query
« Reply #6 on: Monday 05 April 21 23:02 BST (UK) »
Another quick one before I sleep!

On the image I can see the address fine.
Miss M Beaumont
74 South St, Moor, Sheffield

And I think the date stamp is:
Nov 14th 1906

Can anyone make out the text that I have put "????" for?

"Dear Maud,
I will come up on Thursday night where you said so wait if (of?)  ????
Yours"

I bet noone would be able to make out the sign off name! Probably a capital N and F.

Thanks again!
MJ

A bit of a scrawl but I think it’s meant to say “From Yours”.

The signature suggests some sort of secret assignation!

Incidentally, the “Moor” is the area heading south west from Sheffield Town Hall. There’s nothing of what would have been there in 1906 left as it was heavily re-modelled during the WW2 hostilities.

Offline emjayf

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Another Postcard query
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 06 April 21 08:25 BST (UK) »

A bit of a scrawl but I think it’s meant to say “From Yours”.

The signature suggests some sort of secret assignation!

Incidentally, the “Moor” is the area heading south west from Sheffield Town Hall. There’s nothing of what would have been there in 1906 left as it was heavily re-modelled during the WW2 hostilities.
[/quote]

Thank you for the info about Sheffield. I do think you are right as I can see "From Yours". It seems a strange sign off. Unless it is from her betrothed, my great grandfather John (aka Jack) Fouldes. I am not sure the handwriting really matches though. Plus cannot really make the scrawl to become "Jack Fouldes"

Cheers
MJ

Offline Ray T

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 06 April 21 11:41 BST (UK) »
Just for my own interest, I had a look exactly where South Street was and had a surprise. The address isn’t “South Street, Moor” but “South Street Moor”. Nowadays, it’s simply known as “The Moor”.

The Moor was traditionally one of the main shopping streets in the city centre intil it was bombed in the 1940s. Many of the traders moved out (west) to Eccleshall Road and never came back. Consequently, The Moor has suffered as a shopping street ever since.

Boring to most but interesting to some!