Author Topic: John Askwith death c1851  (Read 1245 times)

Offline Glen in Tinsel Kni

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Scottish Borders
    • View Profile
John Askwith death c1851
« on: Tuesday 06 April 21 00:09 BST (UK) »
In the Lincolnshire Chronicle - Friday 11 June 1852 there's a report about the sale of property on Friars Lane in Lincoln "now in the occupation of Mrs. Askwith, and upon which Property the business of a Higgler was for many years carried on by her and her late husband. The Property is offered for sale by direction of the Trustee for sale, under the will of the late Mr. Askwith......".

I've found a John in 1851, boarding in Brant Broughton, married but occ noted as Carrier so not sure if it's the right man. Elizabeth is in Friars Lane, married, higglers wife.

The only John Askwith deaths in county are Jun qtr 1841 (aged 0), and Mar qtr 1856 aged 45, this would fit pretty well with the 1841 and 1851 as both give yob as 1811.  There are two others in York and Hull during the 1840's, one is a 5 year old, the other is a 61 years old.

I'm floundering to try and find anything for him so hoping some sharp eyes will spot the obvious that I'm missing.

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Scottish Borders
    • View Profile
Re: John Askwith death c1851
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 06 April 21 00:22 BST (UK) »
A bit more info;

Sale of horses belonging to John Askwith, higgler who is retiring-  Friday 11 July 1851

Thieves entered the property of the late John Askwith on Friars Lane.. -Friday 19 September 1851

So it looks like a death in that 8 week period. 

Online Ili1133

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 06 April 21 00:28 BST (UK) »
Think you're also looking at BNA. There's a death notice in the Nottingham Journal on Friday 25 January 1856 for Mr. John Askwith, higgler, aged 45. I can only see the extract so don't know if place of death is Nottingham itself.

Hmm... our messages crossed so scrap that - although it's a strange coincidence.

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Scottish Borders
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 06 April 21 00:39 BST (UK) »
I keep falling over that one and looking at it again and again.

The description of the Friars Lane property makes it sound a substantial place, 6 bedrooms, running water, extensive yard with stabling for 5 horses and numerous carts, piggery. The horse and cart sale mentions 5 horses, 3 large carts and a variety of equipment. It wasn't a little business by the sound of things.

I'm wondering if it's a workhouse death but there's nothing close for the name around the right time.

Offline DCB

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 06 April 21 14:56 BST (UK) »
I think John may have died in 1836, and the person retiring in 1851 was his son who died in 1856

Stamford Mercury 18 March 1836
On the 11th inst. aged 50, John Askwith, well-known higgler in this city.

John Asquith of St Swithin buried on 15th March 1836 at Lincoln St Swithin

Stamford Mercury 25 March 1836
In the AFFAIRS of Mr. JOHN ASKWITH, deceased. ALL persons having any claim or demand on the estate and effects Mr. JOHN ASKWITH, late of the city of Lincoln, carrier, deceased, are requested to send their...
...ELIZABETH ASKWITH...She intends, in conjunction with her son to carry on the busines as carrier

20 May 1836 - Stamford Mercury
On Monday last, aged 18, Mr. John Askwith, son of Mr. Askwith, of Hungate.

John Askwith of Hungate, buried on 14th January 1856 at Linoln St Martin.

David

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Scottish Borders
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 06 April 21 15:37 BST (UK) »
John Askwith bachelor to Elizabeth Newton, spinster marriage at St Mary Le Wigford  25 Mar 1834

1841 St Mary le Wigford

John Askwith Male 30 Lincolnshire
Elizabeth Askwith Female 25 Lincolnshire
John Askwith Male 5 Lincolnshire
Elizabeth Askwith Female 1 Lincolnshire
Robert Newton Male 15 Lincolnshire
George Stancer Male 12 Lincolnshire

John bapt  24 Oct 1835 at St Swithin, son of John, a carrier and Elizabeth. Abode Friars Lane.
Elizabeth bapt  27 Oct 1839 St Swithin, dau of John, a higgler and Elizabeth. Abode Friars Lane.

John 1835 married in 1859, occ engineer. I think that's a bit grand as he seems to be more of a labourer in a foundry if the news reports discovered are for him.

I think there are two generations both with John and Elizabeth, the earlier at Hungate and the latter on Friars lane

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Scottish Borders
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 06 April 21 15:46 BST (UK) »
I wonder if this is the baptism of John aged 30 in the 1841? Source; Freereg

Baptism date   19 Aug 1810
Person forename   John
Person sex   M
Father forename   John
Mother forename   Elizabeth
Father surname   ASQUITH
Mother surname   
Person abode   St Mark

1810 baptism and 1834 marriage seem to be the same chap, baptisms of children to John and Elizabeth Friars Lane through to 1849, there is a later unbaptised child in 1855, Rebecca Scarborough Askwith, mmn Newton in the GRO birth index who appears with Elizabeth in later census returns. Possibly legitimate, possibly not depending on whether dad died in 1851 as per news cuttings or 1856 as per GRO index.
She married in 1878, witnesses appear to be her married "sister" and brother in law

Online Ili1133

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 06 April 21 23:02 BST (UK) »
Tracing Elizabeth ASKWITH mother-in-law and daughter-in-law:

1857 City of Lincoln Directory: two entries for Elizabeth Askwith
         1. Friars Lane
         2. 52 Hungate, listed under Milliners and Dressmakers.

52 Hungate fits with John's given abode at death in 1856.

1861 census: Elizabeth daughter-in-law res. Mint Lane, widow, with Mary Ann, Alice and Rebecca. Occupation: Upholsterer (subsequent censuses describe her as dressmaker or upholsterer)

1851 census: Elizabeth residing in Friars Lane next door to mother-in-law Elizabeth retired carrier; married, with Elizabeth, Mary Ann and Alice. Occ: higgler's wife. The enumerator has added a note which looks like 'Head of family from house'.

I agree with David that John probably retired around the same time as the Friars Lane property was up for sale, and that he died in 1856. There may be three generations with John and Elizabeth - first Hungate, second Friars Lane and third (John d. 1856) back in Hungate again.

Hope this helps.

Helen

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Scottish Borders
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 06 April 21 23:32 BST (UK) »
Hmmm, I didn't realise Ancestry had the freebie weekend until yesterday and this little family popped up, I was tracing the daughter Mary Ann initially so didn't actually view anything census wise beyond the Friars/Mint St stuff.

Still hugely confused by the two 1851 news reports as they say John of Friars Lane, (whichever one he is) is alive in the first and died by the second report unless they are somehow merging the two John/Elizabeth couples.

The 1835 John, married by 1859 pops up in 1861 as a    Locomotive Fireman at Barrow Upon Humber.
There is another John born in 1833, I think he might be the dodgy one in the news reports and in Christ's Hospital in 1841. He seems to be the son of George and Elizabeth. I wish parents were a bit more creative when naming their girls.