Author Topic: Edinburgh Gentlemen volunteers & 49th Reg of foot  (Read 974 times)

Offline Jagah

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Edinburgh Gentlemen volunteers & 49th Reg of foot
« on: Tuesday 06 April 21 07:07 BST (UK) »
Hello,
Before I go any further, I must mention I had stated a Topic on the Common board as it involved so many countries.
It was also suggested by some fellow root chatters to also make mention of the thread on the Military Board as well.

Topic: My Brickwall, 3 x GGfather Scot/India/China/Ire/Eng and Australia.
( sorry I tried to do a link but couldn't work it out )

To save on repeating information, please have a read of this topic if you would be interested in helping with information.

basically I was hoping to find the Father of my 3x GGfather who was

Thomas Browne B.1811 Edinburgh Midlothian Scotland (Fold 3 Chelsea Pension)

Sgt 49th Reg of Foot and Bandmaster

Married 1834 Fort William Bengal India to Mary Duffy (Marriage Cert)

Deputy Superintendent Port Arthur Van Diemens land (Tasmania) 1853-1860

Died 16th Feb 1876 Fitzroy Melbourne Victoria Australia ( Death Cert )

The only piece of Information giving a clue to his Father was on a Marriage notice of his Daughter

The Age Melbourne Victoria Australia
Saturday 17th August 1889
Euphemia Browne ( 2 x GGmother)

daughter of the late Thomas Browne Fitzroy

granddaughter of the late Sergeant Major John Browne of the Gentlemen Volunteers Edinburgh Scotland

So very little to go on but hoping some one may have better knowledge of how to find Military Information.

Regards

Jagah

Offline mckha489

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Edinburgh Gentlemen volunteers & 49th Reg of foot
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 06 April 21 07:35 BST (UK) »

Offline Jagah

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 06 April 21 08:01 BST (UK) »
McKha489

Thank you for posting the link to other topic

Regards

Jagah

Offline FROGSMILE

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 07 April 21 11:43 BST (UK) »
The name "Volunteers" was applied to a series of different forces. The first was a short lived regiment of the regular line that had a secondary title as Edinburgh Volunteers.  Known as the 80th Regiment of Foot (Royal Edinburgh Volunteers), it was a regiment in the British Army from 1778 to 1783.  It was formed in Edinburgh, Scotland by ‘letter of service’ in 1778 specifically for duty in North America and sailed to New York commanded by lieutenant-colonel Thomas Dundas in 1779. The regiment then moved to Virginia, where they were captured at the Battle of Yorktown.  The regiment returned to Scotland to be disbanded in 1783.  The regiment seems to have done little during its existence except parade and spend thousands of pounds of public, guild and private money while at the same time underpaying its ordinary soldiers so badly that many of their wives and families were left destitute.

A more significant force was a home guard raised in the 1790s; the Arming Act of April 1794 emphasised their role in defending Britain against the threat of invasion by France, but the Declaration that inaugurated the Edinburgh Volunteers on 26 September left no doubt of their real purpose, which was to be a counter-revolutionary vigilante force focused on potential insurrection at home.

There were 700 members of the Edinburgh Volunteers at their inception; smaller brigades were formed in Leith and other surrounding towns, some 30,000 men in the whole of Scotland. The first group of Volunteers to go into action were those of Perth, used to put down a riot in 1795; the most serious revolt in Edinburgh that year was the naval mutiny in Leith Roads in October, which the Volunteers could hardly have done anything about. The Edinburgh Volunteers were called out to quell civil disturbance on a few occasions, though never against heavy opposition; they broke up a meal riot in the Pleasance in 1800 and guarded meal dealers' shops in the aftermath.

The peak of the movement came at Earl Moira's arrival in 1803. There were now 10,000 volunteers in Edinburgh alone, and Moira reviewed them all on Portobello beach before starting a programme of mock battles to train them (in which he had problems persuading local Highlanders to pretend to be defeated). By 1807 the REV had lost half its strength, and the lawyer Bain Whyt, Captain and Adjutant of its First Regiment, was reduced to a desperate plea for recruits to little avail.  Soon after Whyt's plea, the whole movement was torn apart by recriminations, with the Leith branch disbanding in protest at being sidelined by Edinburgh.  The REV were finally dissolved in 1820.

Perhaps by extrapolating a likely date of birth for your quarry you can determine which of the two types of Edinburgh Volunteers he was, a civilian who liked to dress up, or a professional soldier who fought in the American War of Independence.

Offline Jagah

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 08 April 21 04:34 BST (UK) »
Frogsmile,
Thank you for posting the information summary of Edinburgh Volunteers.
It helped me to understand the Regiments and placements in a time frame.

I wont be extrapolating a likely date of birth for my 4 x GG Father 
 Sgt Major John Browne as I don't want to assume anything,
when Thomas was born 1811 his father could have been 18-60years old.
I am slowly but surely eliminating possible families, a time consuming task requiring a lot of patience,
 but I want correct details and not assumptions.

I am not following a Military trail even though I descend from a long line of Military Men, including
my Grand father and great uncles WW1 and
my Father WW2 with 22 years of service along with his 5 siblings & many cousins,
 the the grandchildren and greatgrandchildren of  Sgt Thomas Browne,
I was just hoping to find information that may possible lead to the parents of Thomas to further my family history.
I am interested in their life's journey,
just so happens they had involvement with the Military.

Thank you
kind regards
Jagah

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 08 April 21 09:50 BST (UK) »
Weavers in Bathgate hijacked Lord Polkemmet's coach and took him up onto the moors, a High Court judge they compelled him to sign exemption papers from joining the militia. Polkemmet obliged them but his heir threatened the weavers with death & destruction.  His faither told him to wheesht and watch what he did and he might yet "leeve tae scratch an auld pow!"  ;D
 The judges still retained their Scots so as to be understood in court!

Bests,
Skoosh.

Browne sounds a bit Irish?

Offline Jagah

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 08 April 21 11:29 BST (UK) »
Hi skoosh,
Thank you for making me smile,

Browne, Irish a good possibility so I have been looking at Irish records as well,
I posted something on the other thread before I started this one about Fermoy Ireland where Thomas was discharged 1850, from reading up on the regiment's movement the 49th Reg of Foot was in Ireland in the 1840's after china and India I believe,
there is a strong possibility that Thomas's wife Mary Browne Nee Duffy was born abt 1819 fermoy Ireland, stated to wonder if his father Sgt Major John Browne may have been from Ireland and ended up in Scotland.

I will keep searching,
 Thanks
Jagah

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 08 April 21 11:58 BST (UK) »
Jagah, I once worked with a Browne and he was off the Irish, Brown in Scotland gets Broon and Broone would be an affectation too far!  ;D

Bests,
Skoosh.

Offline FROGSMILE

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 08 April 21 17:04 BST (UK) »
Frogsmile,
Thank you for posting the information summary of Edinburgh Volunteers.
It helped me to understand the Regiments and placements in a time frame.

I wont be extrapolating a likely date of birth for my 4 x GG Father 
 Sgt Major John Browne as I don't want to assume anything,
when Thomas was born 1811 his father could have been 18-60years old.
I am slowly but surely eliminating possible families, a time consuming task requiring a lot of patience,
 but I want correct details and not assumptions.

I am not following a Military trail even though I descend from a long line of Military Men, including
my Grand father and great uncles WW1 and
my Father WW2 with 22 years of service along with his 5 siblings & many cousins,
 the the grandchildren and greatgrandchildren of  Sgt Thomas Browne,
I was just hoping to find information that may possible lead to the parents of Thomas to further my family history.
I am interested in their life's journey,
just so happens they had involvement with the Military.

Thank you
kind regards
Jagah

I fully realise that you want facts and not assumptions and you misunderstood what I was suggesting.  The extrapolation would merely be to narrow your search down to a specific period of some few decades.  As regular regiments with high numbers (e.g. 80th) and civilian volunteer units seldom existed beyond a short time frame during that era, it would aid you greatly in identifying the unit and then honing in on the likely muster rolls to find your man’s enlistment record. That was my intent.