Author Topic: Edinburgh Gentlemen volunteers & 49th Reg of foot  (Read 975 times)

Offline Jagah

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Edinburgh Gentlemen volunteers & 49th Reg of foot
« Reply #9 on: Friday 09 April 21 02:39 BST (UK) »
FROGSMILE,
Hello,
Oh dear, we need to clear the air,
 the problem I have found with posting information and receiving a reply, is you cannot always gauge a persons personality or tone of voice.
Any post that I make is with kindness in my voice and a happy nature, 😊
so if you re read my last post to you in that voice you will see that I had no intention of offending you in any way, quite the opposite, I am so grateful for any advice as I want to learn and understand as it will help not hinder my research.

When I say I want correct details and not assumptions,
 I only meant, I don't want to post my wild guess's or what I may think could be a possible timeframe as it would only be an assumption on my part for any rootschatter to try and follow up with.

I did understand your intent of trying to narrow down to a specific period, but I really would be just guessing and why I made Mention that Sgt Major John Browne could be of any age, so I don't really know where to put him.
 I really wish I was game to have a guess, am I.....  80th?/91st?/92nd?

Alan of Kaslo made mention of finding a captain John Brown north East Corner of exchange July 1800 on a Edinburgh Postal Directory from early 1800's

I have to keep in mind that all there is to go on with Thomas's father's name is that one piece of information on Euphemia's marriage,
 I am hoping that who ever wrote the piece has his name correct. Thomas's death cert has so many incorrect details.

I have considered that Sgt Major John Browne could also be Thomas's Grandfather and not father.

I keep going back to Scottish/Irish naming patterns and if Thomas and Mary stayed with Tradition
and followed the pattern, I come up with Robert & Isobel for Thomas's parents?.
and Sarah Ann & Harold Duffy for Mary?,
but it mentions John Duffy a Soldier as father on Mary Browne's death Cert?.

I also have to consider that the children's names on both Thomas and Mary's death certs may be not correct as they vary on both.

I have not found all the birth records for children born in India, so could be missing some names, there may also be children that were not know to the siblings who filled out their death certs, although Mary's filled out by daughter Mary has the most information.

I am currently looking at another family,
 I am not limiting my search to Edinburgh just because Thomas has stated on enlistment papers " to the best of my knowledge, I was born 1811 Edinburgh".

Thomas Brown b. 15.11 1811 Kirriemuir to John Brown & Isobel Watson
*Thomas appears to be the 1st child born, they don't have the next child until 1822 Kirriemuir?
could this be because John was away with a regiment.
This could fit with another find by Alan of Kaslo of a possible soldier,

2675. Major John Brown
Ens. 4th foot, 21st Oct 1804,
Lieut. 28th Feb 1805,
Capt. 25th may 1815
Capt. 92nd Reg of Foot 12th Nov 1818,
Major. 21st Jan 1819.
Served Flanders and was present the Battle of Waterloo.

See what happens when I start to Assume Things😉🙂

Also working on a  Brown Family in Oxnam
Thomas Brown b. 3.11.1811 Oxnam, Father John Brown, no mother listed.

I am also looking at Brown as the E has not always been used.

Sorry for such a long post and I  hope we now understand each other,
 I really do appreciate your advice.

kindess regards
Jagah