Author Topic: 50 cM match from a 6x grandfather  (Read 813 times)

Offline Petros

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
50 cM match from a 6x grandfather
« on: Tuesday 06 April 21 13:07 BST (UK) »
My wife has two DNA matches that appear to come from her 6x greatgrandfather, a mother (1919-2017) and her daughter come out as 50 and 29 cM matches.

Although there is a least 1 match between 1st cousins on this family line, the grandparents of the lady born in 1919, 50 cM still seems on the high side for this to be the only explanation even allowing for a difference in generations between my wife and her match. Should I be looking for an additional link?

(Although high the figure is in the tables at DNApainter for matches at the 6C/7C level!)

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: 50 cM match from a 6x grandfather
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 06 April 21 13:18 BST (UK) »
Hello Petros

Although as you say it is possible, I would check for a second match. I have a few double relationships from lines who lived in a small community.

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline Petros

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 06 April 21 13:40 BST (UK) »
Thanks Gadget, even a double link at one level seems too little to explain it, and it is a small community, ca 1000 in 1801.

Elucidating it even in what I have traced is problematic with illegitimate children and belated marriages confusing things.

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 06 April 21 14:23 BST (UK) »
Have you been through your shared matches?  Although, if they are below 8cM, they won't show. It would be best if you could compare segments, etc.
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Offline Janethepain

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 06 April 21 16:00 BST (UK) »
Yikes I feel old.  I am not aware of any 6th cousins at all, but my grandfathers were both born 20 years before that (pre 1900). My Great Great Great Grandparents were born before 1820! But anyway, I have the opposite problem with a 2C2R cousin, my very bottom match at 6 cM, and others like that!  If I calculate it correctly, the nearest common ancestor for that would be at 5th GGparent level. Some hope I would ever get there with my tree! (Ireland!).
Allison - Rumford Stirlingshire & Ireland
Quinn - Rumford, Glasgow, Monklands & Tyrone
Convoy - Rumford, Monklands & Tyrone
Burke - Glasgow, Clifden Galway
Duffy - Cleland Lanarkshire, Monklands, Falkirk, Ireland
Curran - Cleland, Ireland
Reynolds - Cleland, Shettleston, Tollcross, Antrim
McDermott - Cleland, Shotts, (London)Derry

Offline Petros

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 06 April 21 16:16 BST (UK) »
Jane
My grandfathers were born in 1875 and 1882, my wife's were born in the 20th century. We actually share a set of ancestors, my 4 x great grandparents (born 1750) were her 6 x great grandparents so we have no shared matches and share about 4cM according to Gedmatch.  Accordingly I have quite a few matches on Ancestry that trace back to the 18th century but she has very few.

The subject of this query is not related to our shared ancestor but relates to a branch that all came from a small area of Suffolk that seems to have provided her with a lot of matches

Offline Petros

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 06 April 21 16:22 BST (UK) »
Have you been through your shared matches?  Although, if they are below 8cM, they won't show. It would be best if you could compare segments, etc.

Unfortunately this is on MyHeritage and we don't have the additional access. I missed the free offer the other week

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 06 April 21 16:25 BST (UK) »
Could you both upload to Gedmatch?

Offline Janethepain

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 06 April 21 16:35 BST (UK) »
Yes Petros, I mis-explained the point I was trying to make!  That being, that I dont think I will ever find any 6th cousins ( who clearly have to be either alive now, or at least within the last 20 years, to give up a DNA sample!)., as our closest common ancestors would have to be some point in the middle 1700's, and there is no way I will ever trace anyone back that far in Ireland where all my ancestors came from. Not like in Scotland, where I live, where the OPRs (old parish records) are very good, although patchy in some areas!  Sorry for the confusion my off the cuff comment may have caused!
Allison - Rumford Stirlingshire & Ireland
Quinn - Rumford, Glasgow, Monklands & Tyrone
Convoy - Rumford, Monklands & Tyrone
Burke - Glasgow, Clifden Galway
Duffy - Cleland Lanarkshire, Monklands, Falkirk, Ireland
Curran - Cleland, Ireland
Reynolds - Cleland, Shettleston, Tollcross, Antrim
McDermott - Cleland, Shotts, (London)Derry