Author Topic: Isabella Smith born circa 1873/1874 in Edinburgh  (Read 1579 times)

Offline Byles1978

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Isabella Smith born circa 1873/1874 in Edinburgh
« on: Sunday 04 April 21 23:13 BST (UK) »
Hello, I am intrigued by this post as I am trying to figure out who my Great Grandmothers Family were. Her name was Isabella Smith born circa 1873/1874 in Edinburgh according to the info I have. By all accounts she also had a younger brother named Charles Smith who used to write to Isabella and her daughter (my Grandmother) also Isabella in Pretoria while he was on the front fighting the war. I believe Charles did marry as I have my Grandmother's address book but he may have died shortly after the war. Now this is why this post caught my eye, my Grandmother used to write to a Mrs Chas Smith, Briarlea, Barry nr Carnoustie, Angus. Another address was c/o Mrs H Short, 55 Struan Street, Perth , c/o Mrs Goodsin, Methilhill Farm House, Methilhill and then Cameron Bridge Hospital, Ward 3, Windygates, Fife. As I say I know nothing about the Smith's nor who Isabella and Charles parents were and I would love to know. I also don't know the name of Mrs Chas Smith as Chas is obviously Charles. My assumption is that she died before 1978 before my Grandmother died but after 1965 when she gifted my parents a table cloth for their wedding. The address in Briarlea was mentioned in this thread in 2017 and I am hoping that the authors read this and get back to me please. Many thanks

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
Re: Re: Female student in 1851? Gibson/Stronner St Vigeans.
« Reply #1 on: Monday 05 April 21 11:01 BST (UK) »
The indexes at www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk do not have any records of anyone named Goodsin after 1905. Are you sure it's Goodsin?

According to the Valuation Rolls, the proprietor and occupier of Briarlea, Station Road, parish of Barry, from about 1915 to 1940 was John Watson Petrie. He died in Carnoustie in 1942, aged 77, so he is probably the one born in Dundee in 1865 and married to Margaret Ann White in 1898. I wondered if perhaps Mrs Chas was his daughter, but there is only one marriage of a Charles Smith to a Petrie: Margaret Emslie Petrie, born Aberdeen 1927, married 1949, died 1999 in Aberdeen, mother's maiden surname also Smith.

When, where and whom did your great-grandmother marry? Or, at least, what was your great-grandfather's name?

And when you say 'the war', which war? South African War, First World War, Second World War?

Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Liviani

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 05 April 21 13:10 BST (UK) »
Hello, I am intrigued by this post as I am trying to figure out who my Great Grandmothers Family were. Her name was Isabella Smith born circa 1873/1874 in Edinburgh according to the info I have. By all accounts she also had a younger brother named Charles Smith who used to write to Isabella and her daughter (my Grandmother) also Isabella in Pretoria while he was on the front fighting the war. I believe Charles did marry as I have my Grandmother's address book but he may have died shortly after the war. Now this is why this post caught my eye, my Grandmother used to write to a Mrs Chas Smith, Briarlea, Barry nr Carnoustie, Angus. Another address was c/o Mrs H Short, 55 Struan Street, Perth , c/o Mrs Goodsin, Methilhill Farm House, Methilhill and then Cameron Bridge Hospital, Ward 3, Windygates, Fife. As I say I know nothing about the Smith's nor who Isabella and Charles parents were and I would love to know. I also don't know the name of Mrs Chas Smith as Chas is obviously Charles. My assumption is that she died before 1978 before my Grandmother died but after 1965 when she gifted my parents a table cloth for their wedding. The address in Briarlea was mentioned in this thread in 2017 and I am hoping that the authors read this and get back to me please. Many thanks

Hello, and welcome to Rootschat.

Unfortunately, I don't believe your query connects to my family tree. The family living at Briarlea, Barry, in the 1891 and 1901 census were William Nicoll (Blacksmith) and my 3x great-aunt Isabella Smith Gibson. Her middle name Smith was her maternal grandmother's surname.

They did have a daughter named Isabella Gibson Nicoll, born in 1873 in Dundee, but she died unmarried in August 1903 at Briarlea of a mitral valve heart condition. Her mother, Isabella Smith Gibson, also died in 1903. William Nicoll died in June 1904 at Briarlea.

As Forfarian mentioned, in 1905, John Watson Petrie lived at Briarlea. In July 1904, not long after William Nicoll died, it was put up for sale. So the house did not remain in the Nicoll family. There was an article in The Dundee Courier on the 5th July 1904 advertising it for sale.

Sorry I could not be of any more help. Good luck with your searches.
mtDNA subclade K1b2b. Father's Y-DNA I-S25383
GEDmatch kit; CF7867455
Father's kit; RY1336515
Mother's kit; AF2312865

Kincardineshire
Sheret, Hosie, Valentine, Crow, Beattie, McArthur, Wyllie.
Angus (Forfarshire)
Adam, Valentine, Ewan, Elder, Guild, Kydd, Bradford, Stronner, Gibson, Cloudsley, Evans, Stewart, Stott.
Perthshire
Small, Robertson, Murray, Kennedy, McGregor
Ross & Cromarty
Cameron, Stewart, Grant
Banffshire - Gamrie
Anderson, Massie

Offline Byles1978

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 05 April 21 13:11 BST (UK) »
Hi, thanks for getting back to me, so my great grandmother Isabella Smith married John James Leggett in Pretoria, South Africa on the 9th January 1905. Isabella died in South Africa in Umtata on the 10th October 1944. Unfortunately I cannot find any immigration records for her going to South Africa. I have done the DNA test along with my Sister, cousins and Mum and my sister, myself and my cousin's come out at 15 percent average. We have ruled out my Mum's Family as none of them have the DNA and nor do the Leggett's so we think it must come from the Smith side. Reading my grandmother's handwriting it looks like Goodsin or Goodsir. Mr H Short I have found it Mr James H Short. The postcards were written during the first world war.

Offline Byles1978

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 05 April 21 16:57 BST (UK) »
My Mum has just come to me with the following little snippet. Hopefully you can advise?

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 05 April 21 18:41 BST (UK) »
Hi Byles1978

There is this possible 1881 census entry as a maybe:

Charles Smith 45 stone mason b. Abbey, Haddington
Jeanie F Smith 32
Thos Smith 17
Isabella Smith 8
Wilhemina Smith 6
Charles Smith 4    
Robt Smith 2

Address: 13 Home St No , Edinburgh

Jeanie Fraser Blackie and Charles Smith were married in Edinburgh on 7 Jun 1867.

Added: Not the right family. This Isabella married to a Fowler I think. Her burial details www.findagrave.com/memorial/174804620/isabella-hope-fowler

Will have another look...

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Liviani

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 05 April 21 18:47 BST (UK) »
My Mum has just come to me with the following little snippet. Hopefully you can advise?

It would probably be more fruitful for you to create a new thread in relation to your query. That way people will see the relevant names and dates on the title, as there isn't a connection to my Gibsons/Stronners of St Vigeans.
mtDNA subclade K1b2b. Father's Y-DNA I-S25383
GEDmatch kit; CF7867455
Father's kit; RY1336515
Mother's kit; AF2312865

Kincardineshire
Sheret, Hosie, Valentine, Crow, Beattie, McArthur, Wyllie.
Angus (Forfarshire)
Adam, Valentine, Ewan, Elder, Guild, Kydd, Bradford, Stronner, Gibson, Cloudsley, Evans, Stewart, Stott.
Perthshire
Small, Robertson, Murray, Kennedy, McGregor
Ross & Cromarty
Cameron, Stewart, Grant
Banffshire - Gamrie
Anderson, Massie

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 05 April 21 19:57 BST (UK) »
I will add here and hopefully the mods will transfer posts to a new thread.

You have on the paper notes: Mrs C Smith, 2 Tayside Terrace, E. Newport Dundee.

East Newport is not in Dundee. Newport is located in the north of Fife but not far (opposite and across the River Tay) from Dundee.

Searching the Valuation Rolls on www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk which go up to 1940 at present online, there is in 1940:

Charles SMITH
Tenant
HOUSE AND GARDEN 2 TAY TERRACE EAST NEWPORT
FORGAN

I wonder how and if he connects to the family you are researching. See here for further info
www.newportarchive.co.uk/property.php?ID=115700  As you can see, Charles Smith is listed up to 1956. He died in 1957 at the age of 75. His wife Mary is listed thereafter.

Do you have any approx dates when your grandmother was writing to Mrs C Charles at 2 Tay Terrace?

Monica

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 05 April 21 20:48 BST (UK) »
Below is a clip from the 1957 death of the Charles Smith we have been looking at above. His wife was Mary Carmichael. From this registration, his birth looks to be illegitimate, mother Euphemia Smith, a dressmaker. Mary Small Carmichael and Charles Smith married in Forgan in 1933.