Author Topic: Thomasin Lawson /Dixey/Voss of Eynesbury  (Read 5664 times)

Online Gillg

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Thomasin Lawson /Dixey/Voss of Eynesbury
« on: Monday 29 August 05 13:04 BST (UK) »
Thomasin was born c 1808 in Eynesbury.  I believe her mother's name was Elizabeth Lawson, and Lawson is the surname used by Thomasin when she married John Fairey in Spaldwick parish church in 1828. She has, however, also been referred to as Thomasin Dixey or Voss, her father's name was given elsewhere as John Dixey.  Can anyone help me solve this mystery?    ???  I have census returns and other docs which help me trace her life after her marriage fairly fully.  It's just the early life...
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

FAIREY/FAIRY/FAREY/FEARY, LAWSON, CHURCH, BENSON, HALSTEAD from Easton, Ellington, Eynesbury, Gt Catworth, Huntingdon, Spaldwick, Hunts;  Burnley, Lancs;  New Zealand, Australia & US.

HURST, BOLTON,  BUTTERWORTH, ADAMSON, WILD, MCIVOR from Milnrow, Newhey, Oldham & Rochdale, Lancs., Scotland.

Offline pqrs

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Thomasin Lawson /Dixey/Voss of Eynesbury
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 01 June 06 13:10 BST (UK) »
Elizabeth Lawson, born Eynesbury 1782, (mother of Thomasin) is the half sister of my g.g.grandmother Rebecca Lawson, who married Thomas Tansey in Caldecote in 1834.  I'm interested in making contact with any of the Lawson family which go back to Elizabeth's grandparents, George Lawson and Ann Slow who married in Eynesbury in 1741/42

Online Gillg

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 01 June 06 16:15 BST (UK) »
Since posting my original message I have found out quite a bit more about Thomasin, though not much about Elizabeth. 

Thomasin was the illegitimate daughter of Elizabeth Lawson and John Dixey according to the BVRI.  Elizabeth married in 1809, and her husband was Richard Voss or Vause, so we assume that for convenience's sake Thomasin took on her step-father's surname.

Richard Voss or Vause was baptised 4 March 1787 in Little Stukeley, son of Milleson Voss and Mary Brown.  Richard and Elizabeth had children  Ann 1810,  Sarah 1812,  John 1817, Louisa 1821, Mary 1824, at least.    I have some 1851 census information on the family, also baptism records, and one or two other things, when I can find them. 

If you would like to hear or see more, I'd be happy to send you anything I have. Just let me have your email address in a Personal Message, please.  I would love to have details of Elizabeth's parents and grandparents.

Regards,
Gill

FAIREY/FAIRY/FAREY/FEARY, LAWSON, CHURCH, BENSON, HALSTEAD from Easton, Ellington, Eynesbury, Gt Catworth, Huntingdon, Spaldwick, Hunts;  Burnley, Lancs;  New Zealand, Australia & US.

HURST, BOLTON,  BUTTERWORTH, ADAMSON, WILD, MCIVOR from Milnrow, Newhey, Oldham & Rochdale, Lancs., Scotland.

Offline rebeccafbank

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Message for Gillg: Thomasin Lawson /Dixey/Voss of Eynesbury
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 21 March 18 17:41 GMT (UK) »
Hello Gill,

I am researching the Voss-Lawson family for a BBC History documentary, I came across this thread whilst following the same lines of inquiry as yourself. It's great to see that you've been researching this branch also, and I would love to speak to you about your research if possible please? Could you message me please so I can give you my email address and we could perhaps discuss further? I'm a new Rootschat member so I don't seem to have the option to send private messages yet!

Many thanks,
Becca

Online Gillg

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 22 March 18 11:01 GMT (UK) »
Sending a personal message to Becca.  Sounds interesting.

Offline rebeccafbank

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 22 March 18 11:09 GMT (UK) »
 Thanks Gill!

Online Gillg

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 22 March 18 11:12 GMT (UK) »
Gosh, that was quick!  I've noted your email address, but would suggest that you now delete it from your message to avoid unwanted spam.   Will be in touch.

p.s. I see you've now done that  :)