Author Topic: Re-registration of a birth 1928 - complete re-write or amended on the original?  (Read 246 times)

Offline Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
I can see an entry in Q2 1922 for a child, surname is that of his mother's first husband and the MMN is mother's birth surname so that checks out.

Mother re-married in Q4 1922, she was billed as a widow (jury still out on that)

However there is another entry in 1922 (marked as See S28) where this birth was re-registered in Mum's second husband's name and her birth surname.

Would the certificate have been completely 're-written' or, if I buy it, will it show it was altered with additions for the new info?

Its not my family (or I'd just take a punt and buy the cert to see what it says cos I am nosey) but I am loath to tell someone new to family history to purchase something which may not shed any further light on the situation.

Boo

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Re-registration of a birth 1928 - complete re-write or amended on the original?
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 06 April 21 18:06 BST (UK) »
Have you seen this recent post about a similar entry
https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=847058.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Deirdre784

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Re-registration of a birth 1928 - complete re-write or amended on the original?
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 06 April 21 18:08 BST (UK) »
I have a feeling it will show her maiden name, her current name and her former name. I have a similar birth - in the 1940s - a child of a first cousin of my father, so I havenít got the certificate either, but think thatís what i was told when i found it.
CARDIFF:Lord,Griffiths,Barry,Cope,Mahoney ~ PEMBROKESHIRE:Griffiths,Rees,Owen,Thomas ~ ESSEX:Lord,Foreman,Hatch ~ SOMERSET:Lord,Cox,Hockey,Linham,Bryant ~ STAFFORDSHIRE:Cope,Elks,Hackney,Gallimore,Davenport ~ SUFFOLK:Lord,Lockwood,Hatch,Rix,Foreman ~ IRELAND:Barry,Meany,Cummins,Grogan ~
PONTYPRIDD:Leigh,Brooks,Adams,Davies,Thomas ~ KENT:Leigh ~ CHESHIRE:Adams,Tudor,Illidge ~ DENBIGHSHIRE:Edwards,Bolas ~BRECON:Leigh,Thomas,Davies ~SOMERSET:Adams,Keitch,Bridge ~ABERGAVENNY:Minton ~ MERTHYR:.....

Offline Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 06 April 21 18:10 BST (UK) »
Yes thanks Rosie,
but what I don't know (and haven't been able to find any reference to when I searched RC) is IF it would be written out as a completely new cert or just have the new info added in and the old stuff crossed out (numbered and signed in the margin by the registrar.

Boo

Online KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 06 April 21 18:25 BST (UK) »
It would be a completely new certificate.
Would have been created in 1928; a new entry added to the GRO Indexes for 1922.
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 06 April 21 18:26 BST (UK) »
I have a feeling it will show her maiden name, her current name and her former name. I have a similar birth - in the 1940s - a child of a first cousin of my father, so I havenít got the certificate either, but think thatís what i was told when i found it.

Well that would be a step forward for the people I am looking at :-)

Boo

Offline Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 06 April 21 19:04 BST (UK) »
It would be a completely new certificate.

bummer ! :-) and its highly unlikely that I can get a copy of the original registration which now says on the GRO site 'occasional copy A'.
Though if it at least mentions  a previous married name (as Deidre says) that will help.

I am starting to think that the original entry was an illegitimate birth, registered in the first married name of the mother - which was still her legal name at that time so that would be how it was shown in the index  and with her correct maiden name.
Then they decided  to 'legitimise' his birth and toddled along in 1928 to do that.

Does that sound plausible?

Boo

Offline Deirdre784

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
CARDIFF:Lord,Griffiths,Barry,Cope,Mahoney ~ PEMBROKESHIRE:Griffiths,Rees,Owen,Thomas ~ ESSEX:Lord,Foreman,Hatch ~ SOMERSET:Lord,Cox,Hockey,Linham,Bryant ~ STAFFORDSHIRE:Cope,Elks,Hackney,Gallimore,Davenport ~ SUFFOLK:Lord,Lockwood,Hatch,Rix,Foreman ~ IRELAND:Barry,Meany,Cummins,Grogan ~
PONTYPRIDD:Leigh,Brooks,Adams,Davies,Thomas ~ KENT:Leigh ~ CHESHIRE:Adams,Tudor,Illidge ~ DENBIGHSHIRE:Edwards,Bolas ~BRECON:Leigh,Thomas,Davies ~SOMERSET:Adams,Keitch,Bridge ~ABERGAVENNY:Minton ~ MERTHYR:.....

Offline Deirdre784

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 06 April 21 19:10 BST (UK) »
I also found this, question about the occasional copy... sorry itís so huge  :o