Author Topic: Windows 10 PC with a BIG problem  (Read 1915 times)

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Windows 10 PC with a BIG problem
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 08 April 21 11:22 BST (UK) »
I was about to advise the same, Lizzie.  We have found a lovely local computer repair shop close by. They both know their stuff and charges are very reasonable. They only do repairs.
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline Lady Di

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 08 April 21 12:33 BST (UK) »
Finally ascertained that my problem is a well reported Windows 10 "Challenge"

Unfortunately it's a problem that's been around for years, again unfortunately, without a proper fix from the source!

Everything is a "work around"  ::)

Problem is when system creates a temporary profile after Windows 10 update (ref Dr Google!)

Appears to be dozens of optional fixes, any one "might" work for you but it's a case of trial and error.

I'm not confident enough to try these so will do as Lizzie suggested and call in the experts.

Appreciate your help on what now seems to be a well known and well documented computer glitch (apologies - should have checked Dr Google first)

Many thanks

Di
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Gaie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • CenInf Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 08 April 21 15:59 BST (UK) »
Hi Di

I have a Windows 10 tablet that has recently lost the same icons from the opening page, just retained internet browser icons, but no other changes or losses noted.  Fortunately I can still access the programs from the program list.

I assumed I'd somehow wiped the icons myself; your post has reassured me!  And it was after an update now I think about it.

I think I can manually reattach the icons to the opening page.

Gaie
Sussex, Burwash/Somerset/South London: PANKHURST/FABLING/GREEN/KING/PARROT/POPE/PEMBROKE
Notts/Leics/London: POLLARD/BELAND/FELLS/MORRISON/MARYSON/CLARKE
Northants: MARRIOT/T
Suffolk: LINGLY/LINGLEY/LINDLY/LINDLEY/ SEAGER /SIGGER/SEGGAR/VINCE
Gloucs: WINDOW Glamorgan: JENKINS Cardiganshire: JONES
Poland: OZIEMKIEWICZ France: LINETTE

Offline Lady Di

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 08 April 21 23:59 BST (UK) »
Sorry to hear that you have a similar problem Gaie

One would expect that Windows themselves would have rectified this after their initial release of Win 10 but it seems they don't care.

Hope reattaching your icons to the main screen works. Unfortunately none of mine remained there after a restart or shutdown.

Good luck

Di

Offline andrewalston

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My granddad
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 09 April 21 08:58 BST (UK) »
The "temporary profile" problem has been around for a couple of decades.

The problem is that once such a profile has been used, that's the one that Windows believes it has to use, even though it was (mostly) erased as you log off.

The fix is to create a new user, restart and then log on as that user. This makes certain that the temp profile is not being used anywhere.

Then you can delete that temporary profile. It is under "Users". If your normal username is "Fred", it will be a "Fred.tmp" folder.

Then you need to search the registry using Regedit, and locate the relevant entries which still point erroneously at "Fred.tmp", and change them to get rid of the ".tmp".

After another restart, logging on as your normal self SHOULD return your usual settings.

It's not a task for a novice, unfortunately, but if you are fixing a couple a week it gets easier.
Looking at ALSTON in south Ribble area, ALSTEAD and DONBAVAND/DUNBABIN etc. everywhere, HOWCROFT and MARSH in Bolton and Westhoughton, PICKERING in the Whitehaven area.

Census information is Crown Copyright. See www.nationalarchives.gov.uk for details.

Offline Lady Di

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 09 April 21 12:13 BST (UK) »
Thanks Andrew - that sounds like one of the "fixes" I've read about.

I'm probably quite capable of doing the alterations but have lost confidence as years go by. I have other tech issues I'd like to discuss with an expert so shall do it all at the same time.

Certainly not a recommendation for Windows when a problem remains on their "to be fixed" list for decades.  :o

Appreciate your input

Di