Author Topic: Brown births in Preston, 1830s & 40s  (Read 281 times)

Offline HughC

• RootsChat Veteran
  • et patribus et posteritati
    • View Profile
Brown births in Preston, 1830s & 40s
« on: Wednesday 07 April 21 13:42 BST (UK) »
Robert Brown, surgeon in Preston, had several children born there, some of them before the start of civil registration.  He would certainly have been able to afford the cost of announcing the births in a newspaper such as the Preston Guardian.  Would some kind person with access to 19th-century newspapers be prepared to look for me?

daughter baptized on 13 June 1833
daughter baptized on 25 Jan. 1835
son baptized on 12 Oct. 1838
daughter baptized on 30 Sep. 1840
daughter baptized on 26 June 1842

Judging by the other sons whose dates of birth I do know from other sources, I would expect those baptisms to be at ages about 4 to 6 weeks.
Bagwell of Kilmore & Lisronagh, Co. Tipperary;  Beatty from Enniskillen;  Brown from Preston, Lancs.;  Burke of Ballydugan, Co. Galway;  Casement in the IoM and Co. Antrim;  Davison of Knockboy, Broughshane;  Frobisher;  Guillemard;  Harrison in Co. Antrim and Dublin;  Jones around Burton Pedwardine, Lincs.;  Lindesay of Loughry;  Newcomen of Camlagh, Co. Roscommon;  Shield;  Watson from Kidderminster;  Wilkinson from Leeds

Online KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Brown births in Preston, 1830s & 40s
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 07 April 21 14:05 BST (UK) »
Any names?
Mother's maiden name?

LancashireBMD, for example, is showing 21 Brown births in Preston in 1838 ;)
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline HughC

• RootsChat Veteran
  • et patribus et posteritati
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 07 April 21 15:59 BST (UK) »
Mother's maiden surname Guy, though it's unlikely to be mentioned in the records.

I didn't give the names of the children because a typical newpaper announcement would be worded "The wife of Dr Robert Brown, of a daughter" -- meaning she was delivered of that child.  The child would not be named.  And the baptism registers for Holy Trinity or St John, Preston, gave only the dates of baptism which I already have.  Nor is it of any use to me to be told in which quarter year the births were registered!

However, the children (in date order) were Dorothy Jane, Harriet or possibly Ellen Harriet, William Henry, Emily Alice, and Frances Margaret.
Bagwell of Kilmore & Lisronagh, Co. Tipperary;  Beatty from Enniskillen;  Brown from Preston, Lancs.;  Burke of Ballydugan, Co. Galway;  Casement in the IoM and Co. Antrim;  Davison of Knockboy, Broughshane;  Frobisher;  Guillemard;  Harrison in Co. Antrim and Dublin;  Jones around Burton Pedwardine, Lincs.;  Lindesay of Loughry;  Newcomen of Camlagh, Co. Roscommon;  Shield;  Watson from Kidderminster;  Wilkinson from Leeds

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 07 April 21 16:01 BST (UK) »
Have you tried using a free trial on BNA website

ADDED. I have just had a quick look at family notices for the beginning of that period and it looks as though they may only have marriages
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk