Author Topic: The Adelaide Brickwall - possibly Black Patch Gypsy  (Read 7453 times)

Offline rustyh

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: The Adelaide Brickwall - possibly Black Patch Gypsy
« Reply #81 on: Monday 12 April 21 18:05 BST (UK) »
Good Day,

Sorry for lack of replies. I have been putting in the Gypsy family tree from the publication I have in to Ancestry. Hopefully it will add some help to piecing all these finds together.

Are you able to access Ancestry?

While inputting all the data in, I have come across another Adelaide born 1900. Adelaide Wilson, Daughter of John Wilson and Sarah Wilson nee Smith.

Sarah is the Daughter of Camelia Smith, who married Jerusalem Smith. Camelia is Johns Sister (John Smith and Caroline Lovell)

Im not sure she is the right Adelaide as I still cant hook her up to a Hall, and John wouldnt be her Grandfather based on that

Offline bbart

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: Monday 12 April 21 18:19 BST (UK) »
Rustyh, keep in mind some of that data may be incorrect!

The Joseph from 44 Downing St does not appear to be in the right family, and neither does Matilda.  When I have time will post my reasons why! 

Offline osprey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: Monday 12 April 21 18:28 BST (UK) »
think Adelaide Wilson may have come up earlier. Or it could be that this family are now haunting me. Anyway, Adelaide Wilson is also at Black Patch in 1901.

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:XSQ5-M66

Cornwall: Allen, Bevan, Bosisto, Carnpezzack, Donithorn, Huddy, James, Retallack, Russell, Vincent, Yeoman
Cards: Thomas (Llanbadarn Fawr)
Glam: Bowler, Cram, Galloway, James, Thomas, Watkins
Lincs: Coupland, Cram
Mon: Cram, Gwyn, John, Philpot, Smart, Watkins
Pembs: Edwards (St. Dogmael's)
Yorks: Airey, Bowler, Elliott, Hare, Hewitt, Kellett, Kemp, Stephenson, Tebb

Offline bbart

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: Monday 12 April 21 18:39 BST (UK) »
Or it could be that this family are now haunting me.

Me too!  They invaded my dreams last night!

Anyways, real quick, as I have some time restraints over the next couple days...
Matilda Smith married Albert Edward Vale, in Handsworth, 1893.  (Both her and Albert were witnesses on Joseph of 44 Downing St. marriage).  Matilda puts her father as John Smith, carter. Her address is William Street West, Handsworth.
Matilda and Albert moved to Connecticut after the 1911 UK census and are buried there (Anc. has the grave inscriptions).

On the 1911, she says she is born in Coventry.... possible matching GRO birth puts mmn as Loveridge, but I can't find a match for Joseph, if they are siblings.

Rustyh, keep in mind, a high percent of women did not give accurate information on the 1911, as it was an outlet to rebel against their lack of rights.

Offline osprey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: Monday 12 April 21 18:48 BST (UK) »
1891 census for same family as Smith and they're at Foundry Road/Black Patch

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:WQ8D-J2M

baptisms 22 Sept 1878 Polesworth, Warwickshire to Jerusalem, hawker, & Carnelia Smith of Brimingham
George born 20 Jan 1878
Charlotte born 1 June 1876
baptised same day
Floria born Nov 1877 child of Denis, hawker, & Cinnamente Loveridge of Birmingham - just in case they're part of the family
Cornwall: Allen, Bevan, Bosisto, Carnpezzack, Donithorn, Huddy, James, Retallack, Russell, Vincent, Yeoman
Cards: Thomas (Llanbadarn Fawr)
Glam: Bowler, Cram, Galloway, James, Thomas, Watkins
Lincs: Coupland, Cram
Mon: Cram, Gwyn, John, Philpot, Smart, Watkins
Pembs: Edwards (St. Dogmael's)
Yorks: Airey, Bowler, Elliott, Hare, Hewitt, Kellett, Kemp, Stephenson, Tebb

Offline rustyh

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: Monday 12 April 21 19:29 BST (UK) »
i know the feeling, this will be the ancestry crack of the centry getting to the bottom of this family!

That seems correct on Matilda and Albert, I believe they had 2 children, Florence and Elsie.
Matiltda was from the same parents as John (married Caroline) and Amelia (married Potter, whos Daughter was stopping with her grand parents John Smith and Caroline Lovell on the 1901 census). Matilda also had a sibling called Joseph (see below)

Adelaide Wilson seems to be part of the same Smith family (which is turning out to be huge!), see below

Offline rustyh

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: Monday 12 April 21 19:42 BST (UK) »
Joseph is showing as living at 31 Charles Street, Hansworth in 1901 with Mary and daughter Edith.

But I think they moved to New Haven, Connecticut, USA in the 1910 census

Offline bbart

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: Monday 12 April 21 19:52 BST (UK) »
The passenger list for Matilda and Albert Vale with their five children states they are going to Albert's brother-in-law Joseph Smith in Connecticut.
So Matilda is sister to Joseph.  However, Joseph's marriage address of 44 Downing St. leads to a John and Caroline Smith that show in 1901 (from memory) at the same as the John and Caroline with Amy and baby Adelaide are shown.  Somehow these families got merged into one.
Gah!
Also, on one of that Camelia's marriages, she says her father is John Smith, General Dealer.

It is possible on the 1901 where John/Caroline show as having Eliza Potter and Adelaide Hall as grandchildren, they should have said grandniece.... at least for Eliza?

Offline rustyh

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: Monday 12 April 21 20:00 BST (UK) »
John and Caroline Smith nee Lovell, are Joseph and Matilda's Parents.

They are also Amelia Smiths paretns, whom married Rueben Potter and had daughter Eliza Potter. So John and Caroline are Eliza Potters Grand Parents