Author Topic: Jean/John Griffith  (Read 2783 times)

Offline andrewp91

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Jean/John Griffith
« on: Wednesday 07 April 21 17:08 BST (UK) »
Hi, I am looking at getting information on my 5x Great Grandfather Jean/John Griffith born 24 Mar 1794 St Saviour, Jersey, Channel Islands.

I have been able to get quite a lot of information from off of Ancestry however struggling to find bits of information such as a death/burial ect..
I can see that he had apparently died in 1886. No place to specify whereabouts, but I can only assume Jersey as he lived there and married twice on the Island.

I have been able to find a few members with photos of John 'Hull' Griffith, however, non of the attached sources tell me why they have the name 'Hull' as a middle name.

His Father was John Griffith
His Mother was Marie Philippe
His Baptism was 11 Feb 1794 on St Saviour, Jersey. (Got Record of this)
His Marriage to Betsy Le Gresley was on 17 Mar 1814 in St Helier, Jersey. (Got Record of this)
His children; John Tom, Thomas John, Betsey, Philippee, George, Jane Mary, Henrietta, Francis William, Mary Ann, Ann Amelia, Amelia Esther was born in St Helier, Jersey between the years 1815 and 1842.
I have manage to find him in the 1841, 1851, 1861, 1871 census. But unable to transcribe the name of the residence.
His first wife died 30 Jan 1865, in St Heliers, Jersey.
He married his second wife Susanne Du Chesne on 26 Aug 1865 in St Saviour, Jersey.

That is the last record that I can find of him. So if anyone is able to help me locate him after 1871 I would be very greatful or could transcribe the census residence names or occupations for me, or just in general have any more information that I might not have. I am also keen to know why so many trees on Ancestry gave the middle name Hull.

Kindest Regards
Andrew.

Edit; I have managed to find his Testimonies from the Green Street Cemetry in St Heliers dated 28/08/1873.

Offline la grande-méthe

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Jean/John Griffith
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 07 April 21 18:10 BST (UK) »
In 1841 the family are living at Fletcher Place, on the other censuses they are living in Le Geyt Street.
His occupation is 'Tourner' - presumably Wood Turner
Given that many of the trees on Ancestry seem to have his children born in various states of the USA I'd take them with a pinch of salt!
He died on 10 March 1875 in Great Union Street from 'Asthme'. His age is given as 83 and his occupation as Tourner. The death was notified by a Nancy Deslandes who apparently was 'present at the death'.

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 07 April 21 18:14 BST (UK) »
I am also keen to know why so many trees on Ancestry gave the middle name Hull.

Probably because one person posted it and the rest copied it to their trees without any checking to see if it was correct, that is what normally happens  ::)

Presumably the Hull does not appear on his baptism, marriage and burial records
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline andrewp91

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 07 April 21 18:17 BST (UK) »
Thank you for this information on his death. I am slightly confused on why his testament states the year 1873 if he had passed away in 1875. The wording I was able to find on the Jersey Heritage site was "Testament of John Grifith of St Saviour, now of St Helier. Dated 28/08/1873. Desires to be buried in Green Street Cemetery. Bequeaths to the poor of St Helier 1 shilling."

Could that be when he actually made the will instead of when it was released?

Thank you for transcribing the wording for me on the census too!

In 1841 the family are living at Fletcher Place, on the other censuses they are living in Le Geyt Street.
Given that many of the trees on Ancestry seem to have his children born in various states of the USA I'd take them with a pinch of salt!
He died on 10 March 1875 in Great Union Street from 'Asthme'. His age is given as 83 and his occupation as Tourner. The death was notified by a Nancy Deslandes who apparently was 'present at the death'.

Offline andrewp91

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 07 April 21 18:19 BST (UK) »
Yeah, I thought that, but thought I was missing something. From what I can see, If I have the correct records, 'Hull' definitely does not appear on them. I have not been able to find his burial record as of yet, hopefully it won't have anything on it meaning that I was able to trace the correct records/line. :)

I am also keen to know why so many trees on Ancestry gave the middle name Hull.

Probably because one person posted it and the rest copied it to their trees without any checking to see if it was correct, that is what normally happens  ::)

Presumably the Hull does not appear on his baptism, marriage and burial records

Offline andrewp91

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 07 April 21 18:23 BST (UK) »
Please May you tell me where you was able to find his death record at all please. I am struggling to locate it on Ancestry for some reason.
Mnany thanks for your help! :)

Offline la grande-méthe

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 07 April 21 18:52 BST (UK) »
If you look at the entry on the Jersey Archive site regarding his will you will see that there are 2 dates, the first date in the body of the description is 28 August 1873 which is when he made the will. The second date, just below the Archive reference number, is when probate was granted. A full copy of the will is available to site subscribers and I can have a proper look at that later.
The entry relating to his death is also on the Archive site only this time he's Griffiths. It's a draft version of the death register for St Helier and again the full - one line - entry is available to subscribers.
The fact that there is no burial on Ancestry implies that his funeral service was not C of E although I'm not finding him in either the funeral directors records or the St Helier burials on https://remote.posh.gov.je/genealogy/Search

Offline andrewp91

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 07 April 21 19:33 BST (UK) »
Well spotted on the date! Thank you for helping me understand that :).

That would make sense that his burial isn't a C of E. I would love to get a copy of the record image if you or anyone else is a subscriber, but not to worry if not. I appreciate your help anyway!

You have been fantasic in helping me find his death :)
Thank you!

If you look at the entry on the Jersey Archive site regarding his will you will see that there are 2 dates, the first date in the body of the description is 28 August 1873 which is when he made the will. The second date, just below the Archive reference number, is when probate was granted. A full copy of the will is available to site subscribers and I can have a proper look at that later.
The entry relating to his death is also on the Archive site only this time he's Griffiths. It's a draft version of the death register for St Helier and again the full - one line - entry is available to subscribers.
The fact that there is no burial on Ancestry implies that his funeral service was not C of E although I'm not finding him in either the funeral directors records or the St Helier burials on https://remote.posh.gov.je/genealogy/Search