Author Topic: Walsall union workhouse  (Read 964 times)

Offline Caro4560

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Walsall union workhouse
« on: Wednesday 07 April 21 18:07 BST (UK) »
Hi
I m stuck at where to look next?
A brief outline
My ancestor married in Newhall Derbyshire April 1868.(Have Cert)
Daughter born in Walsall union workhouse January1869(Ancestor named as father)
In 1871 census the wife appears in Basford union workhouse Notts with the child and labelled a widow and has another child in there in 1874( no father listed on birth cert).((.My ancestor is listed as the 2 nd child's deceased father on his wedding cert!))
If she was a "proper widow"in the workhouse then he must have died before 1871 census but can t find a likely death.
Would I be able to find admissions to Walsall 1868/69 to see if husband went in too?. Would a workhouse birth record tell me anything else more than the birth cert? Would a local newspaper for the time cover any workhouse deaths\admissions or news?
I m stuck at what to.look next at he just vanishes?
What other records could I browse from  April 1868 and to April 1871?I was wandering if he had a accident ( listed as Collier on marriage) in Newhall and she went in - but then why Walsall union and not Burton on Trent union or are they the same?If he wandered off for work elsewhere would she admit herself as a widow when she was t? Did they do that?
Any advice appreciated?
Thank you
Caroline

Offline maddys52

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.
    • View Profile
Re: Walsall union workhouse
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 08 April 21 02:01 BST (UK) »
Hello Caroline and welcome to RootsChat.

I'm not an expert when it comes to workhouse records, however if you post some names we may be able to help.  :)
Certainly newspapers is one area I would explore, amazing what can be found reported in the papers of the day. I have definitely seen reports of some workhouse deaths, and of various mining accidents etc.

Online BumbleB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 08 April 21 08:18 BST (UK) »
You might find this of interest -

http://www.workhouses.org.uk/Walsall/
Transcriptions and NBI are merely finding aids.  They are NOT a substitute for original record entries.
Remember - "They'll be found when they want to be found" !!!
If you don't ask the question, you won't get an answer.
He/she who never made a mistake, never made anything.
Archbell - anywhere, any date
Kendall - WRY
Milner - WRY
Appleyard - WRY

Offline Caro4560

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 08 April 21 16:00 BST (UK) »
Yes had a look at that site, some good info.
Think it will be a trip to Lichfield hub I think to look at the records.
April 1868 William Burrows married Mary Ann Symmonds at Newhall Derbys.( She s Derby s lass and I have her hx). It's William who is aged ,28 and Dad Joseph I know nothing about.
Their daughter born Jan 4 1869 in the Walsall workhouse.
Don t know whether they both in there and whether he dies but the next show is Mary Ann Burrows 20 and daughter Eliza in Basford Union workhouse in the 1871 census - no William and registered as widow.She goes on to having another child in the workhouse in 1874 till I pick her up with the children in Hucknall Notts in 1881 remarried.
It just so frustrating about William. Not even sure where he was born. He probably the Radford one born @1838 but can t be sure
I don t know why her family did not help Mary Ann.Fancy being in just after the marriage!

Offline Superrad

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 26 July 21 19:31 BST (UK) »
Hi Caroline!
An ancestor of my uncle was in the workhouse on the 1901 census, listed as a widow. On the 1911 census she was living at home and her husband (same name) was with her. Weird! I did a bit more research and found the marriage was not a happy one and when she claimed to be widowed her husband was actually living about 50 miles away with another woman! She had previously claimed that he had deserted her, for which he was brought before the magistrate. I suppose it was simpler to lie to the authorities to get the help she needed. The reconsiliation in 1911 did not work, by the way, he died back at the address he shared with 'wife' number 2.