Author Topic: Can anyone make any sense of this name confusion?  (Read 240 times)

Offline Davedrave

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Can anyone make any sense of this name confusion?
« on: Wednesday 07 April 21 18:43 BST (UK) »
Eleanor Astley was baptised in Lapworth, Warwickshire in 1836, daughter of Thomas and Mary Astley. I canít find any of them in the 1841 Census, but in 1851 Thomas and Mary Chesshire were living with daughter Eleanor in the hamlet of Nuthurst (more or less Lapworth). Thomas was born about 1806.

When Eleanor married William Hickin in Lapworth in 1855 it appears that she began to sign her name Chesshire, but then wrote Astley. The fatherís name was also given as Thomas Chesshire, but crossed out and changed to Thomas Astley.

The maiden name given on William and Eleanor Hickinís childrensí birth registrations is Chesshire.

I have now found a baptism of 1807 in Solihull (near to Lapworth) of Thomas, illegitimate son of Mary Astley, which may be relevant  ???

Any ideas how Astley became Chesshire?

(Just to add to the confusion, William Hickinís brother George married an Emma Chesshire, daughter of a different Thomas Chesshire.)

Dave :)

Online osprey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Can anyone make any sense of this name confusion?
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 07 April 21 20:14 BST (UK) »
1841 census enumerated as Hasley

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:MQ19-MYK

Have you found a marriage for his mother? She may have married a Chesshire. Or that may have been the name of his father.

Baptism for Joseph including image
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:VH6N-ZG1
for son Thomas.
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:VH6N-8QM

Further up the page is a child baptised to Thomas & Ann Chesshire. Their marriage was in 1832 and she was Chesshire before marriage as well.
Cornwall: Allen, Bevan, Bosisto, Carnpezzack, Donithorn, Huddy, James, Retallack, Russell, Vincent, Yeoman
Cards: Thomas (Llanbadarn Fawr)
Glam: Bowler, Cram, Galloway, James, Thomas, Watkins
Lincs: Coupland, Cram
Mon: Cram, Gwyn, John, Philpot, Smart, Watkins
Pembs: Edwards (St. Dogmael's)
Yorks: Airey, Bowler, Elliott, Hare, Hewitt, Kellett, Kemp, Stephenson, Tebb

Offline Davedrave

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 08 April 21 08:13 BST (UK) »
Many thanks for this, osprey. I would never have found that 1841 Census, though I can see now that it is clearly the same people who have transformed into Chesshire by 1851. I assume that the enumerator heard the pronunciation of ďAstleyĒ and presumed that the speaker was dropping the ďHĒ at the beginning of the name.

I havenít located a marriage for Mary Astley mother of Thomas. If Thomas born 1807 to single mother  Mary Astley was the son of a Chesshire then itís a pity she didnít have him baptised Thomas Chesshire Astley ;D (The equivalent happened in another part of my tree.)

I wonder what happened between 1842 and 1851 to prompt the change of name? Maybe someone died. I may never know.

Dave :)

Offline Pheno

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 08 April 21 09:08 BST (UK) »
Have you looked for a bastardy bond for the birth of Thomas Astley/Chesshire c. 1807 to Mary?  That might clear it up.

Pheno
Austin/Austen - Sussex & London
Bond - Berkshire & London
Bishop - Sussex & Kent
Holland - Essex
Nevitt - Cheshire & Staffordshire
Wray - Yorkshire