Author Topic: New Ancestry hints help  (Read 4035 times)

Offline Crumblie

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: New Ancestry hints help
« Reply #18 on: Sunday 11 April 21 08:36 BST (UK) »
It seems to me that a lot of the hints you get are a joke, in the last couple of days I have a hint for a marriage of a 1 year old boy and another for a different 1 year old on an electoral roll.

Offline Cockneyrebel

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Ancestry UK Hints
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday 13 April 21 13:39 BST (UK) »
I see Ancestry are up to their old tricks again! Now when you go to their 'hints' they've added another page so that you can't go directly to the record, you have to go to the right-hand side first!
Do you think they want us to spend more time than necessary and thus spend more money on this stupid idea?
If it ain't broke don't mend it hasn't occurred to Ancestry!
Cr
Rosser, Henderson, Chapman, Clarkson, Harper, Healey, Horth, Page, Bowers, Ritchie, Sheen, Smith and Weymark.

Offline ~Rachel~

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Ancestry UK Hints
« Reply #20 on: Tuesday 13 April 21 14:26 BST (UK) »
I haven't used it for a while and going through another research phase this week - I find it very confusing.
Waite, Marchant, Nash, Goddard, Pocock, Hiles, Switzer, Larondie, Harris, Radford, Monger, Harper, Harris, Sixsmith, Fitzgerald.

Offline markheal

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Tuesday 13 April 21 16:52 BST (UK) »
Quote from: Cockneyrebel l

If it ain't broke don't mend it hasn't occurred to Ancestry!

[/quote

Exactly!

I have been trying to learn all the new idiosyncrasies of the software.  When trying to include the new whole family from a UK census from the new large drop down menu,  they don't seem to appear on my tree!
I am then tempted to copy the same people from another person's tree that will bypass the new system.

I really feel for all those Newbie subscribers who have yet to learn the new wrinkles and forget the years of experience.
ANSTRUTHER,Worldwide
BENNETT,
BRETT, Sligo
CARNEGIE,
CROCKFORD, Hampshire.
ELLIOT,
GAUNTLETT, Worldwide
HEAL, HEALE, HELE, Chew Magna, Somerset
HENRY, Sligo
MABEY, Dorset
O'HANLON
POPE, London docklands,
STANDERWICK, Somerset,
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline markheal

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Tuesday 13 April 21 17:04 BST (UK) »
I think that, in the new hints format, if you click on View Record Page about halfway down in the new right hand column, that takes you to the old format of the record and then you can process it as previously.

The downfall is that you have to do this for each record.

Pheno
PHENO,
many thanks for your excellent hint   VIEW RECORD PAGE  [I almost missed it] to get back to the former format.  What a relief, that once again I will be able to actually see the two records next to each other and to be able to make my own small tweaks and spelling corrections so that these are not endlessly perpetuated.

Mark
ANSTRUTHER,Worldwide
BENNETT,
BRETT, Sligo
CARNEGIE,
CROCKFORD, Hampshire.
ELLIOT,
GAUNTLETT, Worldwide
HEAL, HEALE, HELE, Chew Magna, Somerset
HENRY, Sligo
MABEY, Dorset
O'HANLON
POPE, London docklands,
STANDERWICK, Somerset,
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline ms_canuck

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Tuesday 13 April 21 17:07 BST (UK) »
It seems to me that a lot of the hints you get are a joke, in the last couple of days I have a hint for a marriage of a 1 year old boy and another for a different 1 year old on an electoral roll.

I am also seeing that Ancestry is pushing other Ancestry Trees on me as 'new hints'!  Most (98%) are ones which I had already dismissed as being either redundant, useless, or just completely wrong.  However, there has been the odd nugget and so I feel compelled to at least glance at them.  It's not like I've anything better to do... LOL.

Cheers
Ms_C (yes, locked down again - third wave hitting Toronto VERY hard.)
1. Paul - Guernsey 1801
2. Ettenton / Eltenton - Guernsey 1806

Offline wilcoxon

• -
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barry Sheene 1950-2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Tuesday 13 April 21 17:33 BST (UK) »
I found some are  totally wrong.  A child born early in 1869 had Eliza as his mother in 1871, but she wasn't his real mother.  She had died in 1870 and father remarried early 1871.
I found the baptism of the child and the  death of his mother on Freereg. 
All trees on Ancestry have the wrong mother.
Census information is Crown Copyright (see: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk)

Offline tillypeg

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Tuesday 13 April 21 17:52 BST (UK) »
I received a "hint" the other day - a marriage suggested for one of my female relatives.  She would have been dead for years by the time that marriage took place but if she had been still alive would have been 103!

Offline ms_canuck

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Tuesday 13 April 21 19:13 BST (UK) »
I think that, in the new hints format, if you click on View Record Page about halfway down in the new right hand column, that takes you to the old format of the record and then you can process it as previously.

The downfall is that you have to do this for each record.

Pheno
PHENO,
many thanks for your excellent hint   VIEW RECORD PAGE  [I almost missed it] to get back to the former format.  What a relief, that once again I will be able to actually see the two records next to each other and to be able to make my own small tweaks and spelling corrections so that these are not endlessly perpetuated.

Mark

You can also just click on the name of the record at the top of that new right hand screen.  Gives you the same info as 'View Record'.

Ms_C
1. Paul - Guernsey 1801
2. Ettenton / Eltenton - Guernsey 1806