Author Topic: New Ancestry hints help  (Read 4037 times)

Offline Pheno

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: New Ancestry hints help
« Reply #27 on: Tuesday 13 April 21 19:17 BST (UK) »
It seems to me that a lot of the hints you get are a joke, in the last couple of days I have a hint for a marriage of a 1 year old boy and another for a different 1 year old on an electoral roll.

I am also seeing that Ancestry is pushing other Ancestry Trees on me as 'new hints'!  Most (98%) are ones which I had already dismissed as being either redundant, useless, or just completely wrong.  However, there has been the odd nugget and so I feel compelled to at least glance at them.  It's not like I've anything better to do... LOL.

Cheers
Ms_C (yes, locked down again - third wave hitting Toronto VERY hard.)

You can stop receiving hints for Ancestry trees by going to your Account (drop down in top right corner under your user name) and then site preferences.

I have turned all such hints off and never receive them so it does work.

Pheno
Austin/Austen - Sussex & London
Bond - Berkshire & London
Bishop - Sussex & Kent
Holland - Essex
Nevitt - Cheshire & Staffordshire
Wray - Yorkshire

Offline ~Rachel~

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Thursday 15 April 21 13:14 BST (UK) »

You can stop receiving hints for Ancestry trees by going to your Account (drop down in top right corner under your user name) and then site preferences.

Pheno

Amazing! This is a game changer - thank you for bringing this up
Waite, Marchant, Nash, Goddard, Pocock, Hiles, Switzer, Larondie, Harris, Radford, Monger, Harper, Harris, Sixsmith, Fitzgerald.

Offline ms_canuck

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Thursday 15 April 21 19:58 BST (UK) »

Pheno

Yes, after I posted my comment I remembered that you can turn them off.  It's never bothered me before, but it just seemed to be getting a bit much!  So I have just turned off 'Other Ancestry Members' so that when I see a hint, I can assume it's worth my time to review it.  And I can always turn the other one on again if I want to check if I've missed anything.

Cheers
Ms_C
1. Paul - Guernsey 1801
2. Ettenton / Eltenton - Guernsey 1806

Offline Pheno

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Thursday 15 April 21 20:07 BST (UK) »
If I feel I could do with seeing what someone else has on a particular person, via their tree, I simply use the search option from the top tab and use the drop down menu to select 'public member trees' for that name/place/date.  A convenient box appears indicating how many trees that person is in and if you then click 'view all' you get a list of them.

Conveniently for the public trees it tells you how many records & sources these trees contain so I go to the couple or so with the highest records and sources.

It dispenses with getting every 'tree' thrown at you and generally guides you to those trees that might be worth looking at.  I assume that those people who have bothered to attach records & sources are those people who do thorough research.

Pheno
Bishop - Sussex & Kent
Holland - Essex
Wray - Yorkshire

Offline PaulineJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Thursday 15 April 21 20:18 BST (UK) »
I assume that those people who have bothered to attach records & sources are those people who do thorough research.

Pheno

My feeling is that maybe they do, and maybe they don't but at least you can see what they have used as a basis for the tree.

Pauline
All census look up transcriptions are Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/
======================================
We are not a search engine. We are human beings.

Offline Pheno

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Thursday 15 April 21 20:22 BST (UK) »
Yes better said like that Pauline.

Pheno
Bishop - Sussex & Kent
Holland - Essex
Wray - Yorkshire

Offline diplodicus

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Remember, no great adventure started with salad.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Friday 16 April 21 00:12 BST (UK) »
not sure I agree. genealogy is often about finding that nugget hidden inthe mud (and I have 12,750 unviewrd hints!!!!).

i now try once each week to virw the “past seven days” hints and save any of interest to shoebox. i only need one hont for each perso as an-aide memoir.
Thomas, Davies, Jones, Walters, Daniel in Carmarthenshire and Ceredigion. That should narrow it down a bit!
Vincent: Fressingfield, Suffolk, Stockton & Sunderland.
Murtha/Murtaugh: Dundalk & Sunderland
Ingram: Cairnie by Huntly, Scotland then Abergavenny, Monmouthshire.
Bardouleau: London - in memory of my stepmother Annie Rose née Bardouleau who put up with a lot from me.
gedmatch.com A006809
Kit uploaded to familytreedna.com B171041
Y-DNA R-M269 & mtDNA U5b1f

Offline pharmaT

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Friday 16 April 21 22:51 BST (UK) »
If I feel I could do with seeing what someone else has on a particular person, via their tree, I simply use the search option from the top tab and use the drop down menu to select 'public member trees' for that name/place/date.  A convenient box appears indicating how many trees that person is in and if you then click 'view all' you get a list of them.

Conveniently for the public trees it tells you how many records & sources these trees contain so I go to the couple or so with the highest records and sources.

It dispenses with getting every 'tree' thrown at you and generally guides you to those trees that might be worth looking at.  I assume that those people who have bothered to attach records & sources are those people who do thorough research.

Pheno

Not necessarily.  I have thousands of sources and only relatively recently started logging them on the my Ancestry tree relatively recently.  It's a time consuming process so it will take a while to get them all on there.  Also, not one of my sources is an Ancestry tree.
Campbell, Dunn, Dickson, Fell, Forest, Norie, Pratt, Somerville, Thompson, Tyler among others

Offline Pheno

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Saturday 17 April 21 08:55 BST (UK) »
'Also, not one of my sources is an Ancestry tree.'

That's good as it means that you have done your own research, which is where I'd much rather take a hint from than from a copied tree.

In terms of sources it's good that you are now attaching them retrospectively but much easier if done at the time the fact is added.  Personally I would still go for the trees with attached sources as I can verify them.

Pheno

Bishop - Sussex & Kent
Holland - Essex
Wray - Yorkshire