Author Topic: New Ancestry hints help  (Read 4023 times)

Online familydar

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: New Ancestry hints help
« Reply #9 on: Friday 09 April 21 10:01 BST (UK) »
I think it depends on how we address our hints.

I have a list that's much longer than I'd like.  If I select a person from it and work through their individual hints, which is the way I prefer to work, I get the annoying new version.  If I select a single hint from my master list of all hints, it behaves the way it has in the past.

Jane :-)
ALLEN
BARR, BARRATT, BERRY, BRADLEY,BRAMLEY,BRISTOW,BROWN,BUGBIRD,BUTLER
CAIN,CARR,CHAPMAN,CHARLES,CH*LTON,CHESTER,COCKETT
COLLASON,COLLYER,CORKERY
DARLING, DENYER,DICKERSON,DOLLING,DURBAN
FARMER,FURNELL
GIBSON,GILES,GROOMBRIDGE
HALL,HAMBIDGE,HARMES,HART,HICKS,HILL,HOLLOWAY
JACKSON
K*AT*S
LANCASTER,LINTON
MCDONALD,MCFADEN,MEARS,MILLARD
NICOLAS,NOAK,NORTH
PARFIT,PORTER
RIPPINGALE,ROBINS
SEARLE,SPENCER,STEDHAM
TYLER,TILLY,TUCKWELL
WADE,WAGER,WALKER,WATSON,WEBB,WITHRINGTON,WOOD

Offline rocala

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 09 April 21 21:30 BST (UK) »
Yes, it seems to be a complete waste of time. As Ancestry seems to be getting slower and slower, time is precisely what I do not have to spare.

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 10 April 21 05:30 BST (UK) »
I agree, the new way of doing is of absolutely no benefit.

I'm finding the sites I started out with approx. 20 - 25 yrs ago, including scotlandspeople, keep changing simple, easy to use dashboards, making them more time consuming.

I'd like to know what benefit it is to the companies as it does nothing for the researcher.

People lying awake at night, dreaming up their next brilliant ideas which take us back beyond my 1st computer days when I knew zilch about computing but I was able to navigate the same sites with far more ease than I can now  ??? ... or is it an age thing  :-\

Does anyone think the changes are made because people send in their ideas on how the sites could/would work better or is it IT people who have never done genealogy research who think they know best  ???

The more I age
The more I rage
What once was simple
Makes me feel 'dolly dimple'
Nothing's the same
It drives me insane  ;D

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline Pheno

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 10 April 21 14:05 BST (UK) »
Oh now I know wat you mean as I have the new hints format now.

Dreadful, more clicks required than previously.

How do they think this is helpful?

Pheno
Austin/Austen - Sussex & London
Bond - Berkshire & London
Bishop - Sussex & Kent
Holland - Essex
Nevitt - Cheshire & Staffordshire
Wray - Yorkshire

Offline Guy Etchells

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 10 April 21 14:53 BST (UK) »

I was also informed that "Collecting names and adding them to your tree is only the first step! There are lots of ways to grow a strong Ancestry family tree.

GenLib
Canada

After over 65 years of family history research I wholeheartedly agree with the above quote by Ancestry, there are many things about Ancestry I can find fault with but not that particular statement.

Unfortunately many genealogists seem to forget that finding the name is only the start of the journey, even if that name is your mother's, father's or siblings!
Cheers
Guy
http://anguline.co.uk/Framland/index.htm   The site that gives you facts not promises!
http://burial-inscriptions.co.uk Tombstones & Monumental Inscriptions.

As we have gained from the past, we owe the future a debt, which we pay by sharing today.

Offline Pheno

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 10 April 21 15:01 BST (UK) »
I think that, in the new hints format, if you click on View Record Page about halfway down in the new right hand column, that takes you to the old format of the record and then you can process it as previously.

The downfall is that you have to do this for each record.

Pheno
Austin/Austen - Sussex & London
Bond - Berkshire & London
Bishop - Sussex & Kent
Holland - Essex
Nevitt - Cheshire & Staffordshire
Wray - Yorkshire

Offline diplodicus

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Remember, no great adventure started with salad.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 10 April 21 17:07 BST (UK) »
Despite my reputation as a Luddite, I am open to change... but not this one. The new hints "management" simply can't cope with a family with children from two or more different mothers who are subsequently reported as all born by one mother.

I think the new matching application is awful and please, Ancestry, throw it back at the developers and invite them to speak to users next time.
Thomas, Davies, Jones, Walters, Daniel in Carmarthenshire and Ceredigion. That should narrow it down a bit!
Vincent: Fressingfield, Suffolk, Stockton & Sunderland.
Murtha/Murtaugh: Dundalk & Sunderland
Ingram: Cairnie by Huntly, Scotland then Abergavenny, Monmouthshire.
Bardouleau: London - in memory of my stepmother Annie Rose née Bardouleau who put up with a lot from me.
gedmatch.com A006809
Kit uploaded to familytreedna.com B171041
Y-DNA R-M269 & mtDNA U5b1f

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Saturday 10 April 21 20:01 BST (UK) »

I'm finding the sites I started out with approx. 20 - 25 yrs ago, including scotlandspeople, keep changing simple, easy to use dashboards, making them more time consuming.

I'd like to know what benefit it is to the companies as it does nothing for the researcher.

People lying awake at night, dreaming up their next brilliant ideas which take us back beyond my 1st computer days when I knew zilch about computing but I was able to navigate the same sites with far more ease than I can now  ??? ... or is it an age thing  :-\

Does anyone think the changes are made because people send in their ideas on how the sites could/would work better or is it IT people who have never done genealogy research who think they know best  ???

The more I age
The more I rage
What once was simple
Nothing's the same
It drives me insane  ;D

Annie

Spot on Annie.

The IT 'spurts compete with each other to satisfy Marketing targets.  Marketing is all about style and so is unable to appreciate that without substance its just an empty empty empty void. (Marketing jargon likes something said three times).

So substance is traditionally something we can physically touch,  (among many other features/aspects),  but now with digitisation and online presentations,  substance is not relevant to the Marketeers. 

So Marketeers aim their promotions at the entity paying for the 'product'  at each step along the entire supply chain.    The end consumer is really a very small segment along one part of that. 

Cynically,  whether Marketeers are promoting family history products or the latest virtual bag full of hot air,  or
the best mult-billion dollar strike force aeroplane,  those Marketeers rely on IT spurts to find new ways to keep the viewer experience focused on their website and not on any other website ....   so basically Marketeers want to control where you spend your money and IT provides the opportunities for you to spend spend spend.   

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline pharmaT

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 11 April 21 08:07 BST (UK) »

The more I age
The more I rage
What once was simple
Nothing's the same
It drives me insane  ;D

Annie

Absolutely hate the new SP dashboard, takes so many extra clicks to do the search you were going to do. 

Ancestry wise I'd mush rather they did something about the impossible hints, eg a voters roll entry before they were born, marriage after they died.
Campbell, Dunn, Dickson, Fell, Forest, Norie, Pratt, Somerville, Thompson, Tyler among others