Author Topic: New Ancestry hints help  (Read 4024 times)

Offline medpat

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
New Ancestry hints help
« on: Wednesday 07 April 21 23:15 BST (UK) »
Is it me or is the new addition to the hints section absolutely useless and time consuming.

Why do we have to go through those steps to check the hints when it was so simple before. ::)
GEDmatch M157477

Offline ian-nz

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: New Ancestry hints help
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 08 April 21 02:37 BST (UK) »
Glad to hear someone else is having trouble with the hints. I have given up. Total waste of time.

Pauline

Offline venelow

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 08 April 21 05:00 BST (UK) »
What annoys me about the hints is that they are often not for the Profile person one is working on but for a child of that person. It is not necessary to attach the the birth/baptism or death/burial to the father/mother of the child. I have seen some trees with 20 or 30 records attached most of which are not for the the subject of the Profile they are attached to.

Ancestry congratulated me today on having 7 people to my new tree. This was accompanied with digital confetti flashing on and off. I was informed that they now have enough information the send me hints. Can't wait to see these as nobody else has this information in their tree. That is one reason why I am putting the information on Ancestry.

I was also informed that "Collecting names and adding them to your tree is only the first step! There are lots of ways to grow a strong Ancestry family tree.  Learn how." Apparently one can "piggy back" on other peoples' trees.  Note the verb is Collecting - not Researching.
I have also noticed that pictures and coats of Arms are not turning up in my hints. Did they stop this or have I just been lucky lately?

GenLib
Canada

Online Pheno

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 08 April 21 09:02 BST (UK) »
Is it me or is the new addition to the hints section absolutely useless and time consuming.

Why do we have to go through those steps to check the hints when it was so simple before. ::)

I haven't noticed anything new.  What precisely is different?

Pheno
Austin/Austen - Sussex & London
Bond - Berkshire & London
Bishop - Sussex & Kent
Holland - Essex
Nevitt - Cheshire & Staffordshire
Wray - Yorkshire

Online Jebber

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 08 April 21 09:24 BST (UK) »
As usual, what they think is an improvement has made the whole thing worse. It takes ages to compare the hints.

I only have three very mini trees on there for other people, heaven only knows what it would be like if I had my own very big tree on the site.
CHOULES All ,  COKER Harwich Essex & Rochester Kent 
COLE Gt. Oakley, & Lt. Oakley, Essex.
DUNCAN Kent
EVERITT Colchester,  Dovercourt & Harwich Essex
GULLIVER/GULLOFER Fifehead Magdalen Dorset
HORSCROFT Kent.
KING Sturminster Newton, Dorset. MONK Odiham Ham.
SCOTT Wrabness, Essex
WILKINS Stour Provost, Dorset.
WICKHAM All in North Essex.
WICKHAM Medway Towns, Kent from 1880
WICKHAM, Ipswich, Suffolk.

Offline gedb2b

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 08 April 21 09:38 BST (UK) »
I have noticed that a lot of their hints are now name only, more so on Irish and Australian BMD records, what the heck use is a name link only without a date to go with it.

Offline bikermickau

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 08 April 21 10:33 BST (UK) »
As of today I'm now getting this message when I view a image "Does named person match the person in your tree? Yes No Maybe"
Clicking on "Yes" I get "We’re sorry. The page you tried to access is no longer available."
No and Maybe takes me to a different page which appears to have nothing to do with what I'm searched for.

I can view the image if I don't use any of the 3 options. I'm using Ancestry Library version from my local Library at home.
I don't and never have had a tree on Ancestry.

Mick
Jeffs - Northamptonshire to Leicestershire to Queensland, Australia
Lewis - Wales to Gloucestershire to NSW & Queensland, Australia
Iddols & Baylis - Gloucestershire
Mary Jones, daughter of James Jones and Eliza - born abt 1864 Staffordshire, died 1948 Queensland, Australia
Dorans - Ireland to Scotland to Queensland, Australia
Ralph - Ireland to Scotland to Queensland, Australia
Jillett - Robert, Transported Convict from Surrey
Christison - Edinburgh,Scotland
Cameron - Edinburgh, Scotland

Offline Stanwix England

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Hopeless scatterbrain
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 08 April 21 16:05 BST (UK) »
I quite like the new way of looking at hints, as it's better than having to flick back and forth between tabs.

The problem for me is the system underpinning what hints it offers you. That's what really needs the work.

For example, it frustrates me that it seems to be prioritising American records in the hints over British ones. I can understand why it would do that potentially with new people, but when you are getting hints for an ancestor you've recorded as being born, living and dying in the UK, it's a little annoying to keep getting suggestions that they took a road trip to Texas.

The other thing that irritates me is getting records that are really not appropriate for the age of the person. For example, you have already recorded that your ancestor was born around 1802. So you end up with a load of hints for property in 1803, because someone with the same name had property. My 1 year old ancestor is not going to be paying tax in 1803.

I would also like to be able to have more control about the degree of kinship that I get hints for. I do want to see new hints for closer relatives, but I'm not massively keen to get them for 4th cousins 5 times removed. At the moment, I think your only choice is hints on or and hints off.

I think the whole system needs an overhaul before they add new features really.
;D Doing my best, but frequently wrong ;D
:-* My thanks to everyone who helps me, you are all marvellous :-*

Offline ms_canuck

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 08 April 21 16:21 BST (UK) »

They brought this 'new' hints help feature out earlier in the year (or maybe last year) and there was a thread about it somewhere on RootsChat.  However, in the middle of the discussion, the feature disappeared and I personally breathed a sigh of relief.  And now, it's back!

They have also removed (again) the Name field at the top of a person's profile.  This was useful if they had an alternate spelling of their name, or a nickname.

And yes, no photo hints are being included, so it really is useless and annoying.

Ms_C
(and yes, I'm not in the mood for it today as once again Toronto is on a Stay at Home rule for the next 4 weeks)  :P
1. Paul - Guernsey 1801
2. Ettenton / Eltenton - Guernsey 1806