Author Topic: Diary > Wednesday 7th April  (Read 1932 times)

Offline candleflame

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Diary > Wednesday 7th April
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 08 April 21 16:20 BST (UK) »
Y-e-s..... very far from satisfactory I'm afraid; but someone put half their life blood into creating it, and speaking as someone who detested a Man Booker prize winning book, I am not sure if my opinion really counts!
Would "a rambling mess" cover it do you think,

How about  - it was hard to follow the plot in this book’,  the characters were not well defined. I didn’t understand where x fitted into the story, the plot seemed confused and lacked direction. ......
Any of that fit?
North East of England

Offline Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Looking for that elusive branch!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 08 April 21 16:51 BST (UK) »
Diana, my rude awakening was around the time I'd normally get up but I hate being startled awake, that's why I only use alarm clocks if absolutely necessary, they're the work of the devil! 
Hope your online ordering service gets itself sorted out.

Can't imagine why on earth your neighbours feel the need to move their bins at that ungodly hour Ruskie. Very brave of your daughter to go to work after all her mishaps, hope she's okay. One of my neighbours used to do professional oven cleaning, I never used it although I was tempted, I hate it too. Mine is a slide and hide oven, the door slides below the oven so you can get near it.

MH, when you mention medications plastic packaging do you mean the bottles that pills come in? I put those in my normal recycling. I'm intrigued to know what the truly dreadful book is! There have been books that were in The Sunday Times bestsellers list that I would have hung on a nail in the loo.  ;D As an avid reader who reads the reviews I'd appreciate the comment that goes for the jugular, no use shilly shallying about.  :D

Hope you've maaged to sort through some of those boxes Viktoria.
Bell, Salter, Street - Devon, Middlesbrough.
Lickess- North Yorkshire, Middlesbrough.
Etherington - North Yorks and Durham.
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham
Forster- North Yorks/Durham
Newsam, Pattison, Proud - North Yorks.
Timothy, Griffiths, Jones - South Wales

Offline KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 08 April 21 17:58 BST (UK) »
Our wheelie bins stay in the back lane, permanently.
Mainly due to the number of steps up to the lane - 10 of them!

However bin-men start with us at 6:00 to 6:15, reversing down the lane.
Then we get them coming forward, picking up all the bins.
About 6:30 when they get to me.
Who needs to sleep in on a Thursday?
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline Mowsehowse

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 09 April 21 08:12 BST (UK) »
 ;D ;D Roobarb, some on the "bestsellers list that I would have hung on a nail in the loo" really made me laugh.

The Man Booker winner I couldn't read was a great disappointment to me as it used a gift huge book token, which I felt had been wasted.
The book currently giving me the headache is pre publication, so must remain incognito for now, but I do feel "going for the jugular" ;D would be the correct approach, despite that attitude has got me sacked from jobs in the past!

Candleflame.... in truth, ALL of it fits I think!  :'(
BORCHARDT in Poland/Germany, BOSKOWITZ in Czechoslovakia, Hungary + Austria, BUSS in Baden, Germany + Switzerland, FEKETE in Hungary + Austria, GOTTHILF in Hammerstein + Berlin, GUBLER, GYSI, LABHARDT & RYCHNER in Switzerland, KONIG & KRONER in Germany, PLACZEK, WUNSCH & SILBERBERG in Poland.

Also: ROWSE in Brixham, Tenby, Hull & Ramsgate. Strongman, in Falmouth. Champion. Coke. Eame/s. Gibbons. Passmore. Pulsever. Sparkes in Brixham & Ramsgate. Toms in Cornwall. Waymoth. Wyatt.

Offline Mowsehowse

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 09 April 21 08:29 BST (UK) »
Ref Superdrug and recycling of medication packaging..... Definitely the BLISTER PACKS, but it would be worth asking about the bottles too.

There is a link here:
https://www.retailtimes.co.uk/uks-first-medicine-blister-packet-recycling-programme-launches-in-superdrug-and-independent-pharmacies/
BORCHARDT in Poland/Germany, BOSKOWITZ in Czechoslovakia, Hungary + Austria, BUSS in Baden, Germany + Switzerland, FEKETE in Hungary + Austria, GOTTHILF in Hammerstein + Berlin, GUBLER, GYSI, LABHARDT & RYCHNER in Switzerland, KONIG & KRONER in Germany, PLACZEK, WUNSCH & SILBERBERG in Poland.

Also: ROWSE in Brixham, Tenby, Hull & Ramsgate. Strongman, in Falmouth. Champion. Coke. Eame/s. Gibbons. Passmore. Pulsever. Sparkes in Brixham & Ramsgate. Toms in Cornwall. Waymoth. Wyatt.

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 09 April 21 08:59 BST (UK) »
MH, let us know what the book is when you are allowed to do so. I’d say just admit you couldn’t finish it .... so your review only relates to pages 1 to X.

I love your maths story Viktoria. I’m hopeless at Maths too, but feel I am in good company with you and Candleflame. That slap on the legs I got when I was 6 for using my fingers to do sums obviously didn’t work. I still use them.  ;D

The recycling packaging is always a good move. Our supermarkets have a bin for recyclable packaging, however I’m not inclined to save all my still slightly bloody meat trays (despite the rinsing) and other plastics and take it to the supermarket. I’ve never seen anyone else doing so either. Nice idea but ....

I complained to our Council once about how early our bins were collected, and was assured that they didn’t leave the depot till 6am. Nonsense. They’d been up and down my road with their squeaky brakes collecting bins at 5:30 for weeks.

Offline Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Looking for that elusive branch!
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 09 April 21 09:04 BST (UK) »
It hadn't even occurred to me that blister packs were plastic waste but of course they are. Thanks for the info MH.

I hope you manage to sort out something for your review, what a dilemma.
Bell, Salter, Street - Devon, Middlesbrough.
Lickess- North Yorkshire, Middlesbrough.
Etherington - North Yorks and Durham.
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham
Forster- North Yorks/Durham
Newsam, Pattison, Proud - North Yorks.
Timothy, Griffiths, Jones - South Wales

Offline Mowsehowse

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 09 April 21 09:32 BST (UK) »
It hadn't even occurred to me that blister packs were plastic waste but of course they are. Thanks for the info MH.

;) AND metal too.

I hope you manage to sort out something for your review, what a dilemma.

:-\ I have ramped up the "disappointed" aspect.... problem is, obviously it's totally subjective. Just my opinion.

Online Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Friday 09 April 21 11:36 BST (UK) »
It does make you wonder what constitutes “ a good book “ personal taste obviously plays a great part but I hate to think how many times  I have swallowed the blurb written about books , and flung them down in disappointment .
Well I am s l o w l y ,oh so slowly grinding my way through Martin Chuzzlewit
still, !
Lovely bright but cold day.
Son coming with some fresh shopping ,veges ,fruit and a chicken.
I have his rose  bush, the Captain Tom one ,the bark scraping looked good so we will see, Ihave phoned as I said and if they so not get into leaf and flower I can have a refund.
His W.A is not until May 10th ,but the rose might be in leaf by then if he plants it now.

I keep trying my hairdresser’s  number but no answer as yet .

My bins are in a “bay” ,a bit taken off my garden,yet fenced ,  so I can put stuff in them from in the garden yet the bin men can collect them to the collection point without coming into my garden, very handy when I had the dog ,she may have got out had they needed to open the gate abd also she might have had the odd leg or two off!                                                 
There are also two steps ,shallow but awkward for me to get a bin with any weight in it up to the lane .
So I had  assisted collection ,but do the lads put the bins back in the way most convenient for both them and me?
Of course not  ::)
I could probably manage now so I phoned the council to cancel the assisted collection after the bay was made but was advised as I would then have to wheel the bins along the lane to the collection point ,and the service might not be given back to me if that proved  difficult as I got even older!—- it was better not to cancel it.
At least I don’t have four whacking great bins in my garden.

Some Daffs going over now but tulips well on the way and hyacinths still blooming.
All sorts popping up in the garden,flowering currant in bloom ,dogwood not yet , no sign of foxgloves . Peonies coming up strongly , Aquilegia , YellowLoosestrife ,oh lots.

I worry about blister packs, plastic and metal mixed but I do recycle them .
We have four bins ,Black ,for stuff not recycleable, Green, paper and card.Blue,tins glass and plastic,Brown, food and garden waste .
The brown emptied every fortnight ,the others monthly .

Oh I must get in with the myriad jobs I could be doing but hate it when there is no fixed time for today as an example ,my son pops round .
It could be this morning or this afternoon .I do know the moment I make something to eat he will come !
Ican’t expect him to be exact but just an inkling re am or pm so I can take the tablets I need to take  with food.It is only once a week though so I mustn’t moan .
Did anyone watch the dog programme last night, oh a lovely Schnauzer puppy, not in complete control of his back legs but lovely .
The two little dogs, related, and the girl of the family so outgoing  and  her brother so shy but the dogs really helped him.

Well I really must get on.Cheerio folks .
Viktoria.