Author Topic: Alfred Keeling of Crewe born in Willaston  (Read 860 times)

Offline PAK

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Alfred Keeling of Crewe born in Willaston
« on: Thursday 08 April 21 00:14 BST (UK) »
My great uncle Alfred Keeling emigrated to America and I have already recorded about 200 of his descendants, and contacted dozens of them. However, there is a question about his birth on 9th March 1878. He is shown on all records as born in Willaston (the one near Nantwich not the one on the Wirral) and I would like to find the address, so that I can send a picture to them if it's still there.
However, he is in Crewe on the 1881 census and, although I have paid the Records Office to look at electoral registers for Willaston in 1877-8-9, they report there are no Keelings recorded on any of them.
I'm posting in the faint hope that there may be someone who already has this.

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: Alfred Keeling of Crewe born in Willaston
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 08 April 21 00:17 BST (UK) »
His birth address will be on his birth certificate - a pdf copy costs £7

He is shown on all records as born in Willaston (the one near Nantwich not the one on the Wirral)

However, he is in Crewe on the 1881 census

If his parents were Henry & Elizabeth - the 1881 has them in Monks Coppenhall & Alfred is shown as born in Crewe but in 1891 his birthplace is Willaston

Incorrectly indexed as Kesling in 1901 b Willaston - emigrated 1905 per tree on Ancestry
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline garstonite

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 08 April 21 09:39 BST (UK) »
1891 census in Shavington

Alfred Keeling was a man born in 1878 in Willaston Cheshire . During the 1891 UK Census he was 13 years old and lived in Cheshire. He appears as the son of his house in the 1891 UK Census.
LAST NAME:   Keeling
FIRST NAME:   Alfred
MIDDLE NAME:   
BIRTH YEAR:   1878
BIRTH PLACE:   Willaston Cheshire Shavington C Gresty
COUNTY:   Cheshire
RESIDENCE:   16, Bedford St
Shavington C Gresty
Shavington C Gresty, Cheshire
HOUSEHOLD MEMBERS:   
Henry Keeling (40, Male)
Elizabeth Keeling (38, Female)
William Keeling (16, Male)
Alfred Keeling (13, Male)
Mary Keeling (11, Female)
don't know whether this helps ??

I wonder if 16 Bedford St, Shavington is still there ?
SO Birth place shows - Willaston, Shavington C Gresty ????  is this one place - or his birth place and where he is now ?
ADDED
28 Bedford st Shavington , Crewe is up for rent  - so it looks like 16 Bedford st will still be there
oakes,liverpool..neston..backford..poulton cum spittal(bebington)middlewich,cheshire......   sacht,helgoland  .......merrick,herefordshire adams,shropshire...tipping..ellis..  jones,garston,liverpool..hartley.dunham massey..barker. salford

Offline PAK

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 08 April 21 10:13 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the replies so far. However, I perhaps should have made clear that I have all the census details for Alfred. Bedford Street was in Shavington-cum-Gresty parish but the boundaries changed and it's now in Crewe. It's the Willaston address that is elusive. So far it looks like I will buy a birth certificate unless anyone happens to have a note. No problem although I try to avoid buying certificates when I have hundreds of people on my tree!

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 08 April 21 12:20 BST (UK) »
FH is not cheap is it?  I used to keep a note of how much I was spending - then my husband saw it!!  At least the pdf birth certs save £4
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline elzabels

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 08 April 21 23:30 BST (UK) »
Have a look at page 1 of the 1891 census, this gives the enumerators 'walk' takes you past The Cheshire Cheese ( now Hickory's smoke House?)
on Gresty Lane, Gresty Green & Gresty Road  & then includes at the end,Bedford Street, Laura street & Clair Street

On google map using the little man the current No 16 has a deep blue front door with the grey bin outside. I say present as the start of Bedford Road has a couple of newer looking semi's on it so the street may have been re numbered.....

In 1911 Harry Steele aged 37 born Shavington cum Gresty lived at the house, stating it had 5 rooms the kitchen + 4 other rooms!

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 09 April 21 00:25 BST (UK) »
This family seem to move around.  Alfred was b Willaston 1878.  Daughter Mary in Crewe 1880 & family is in Monks Coppenhall by 1881

If his actual birth address is important to you - the only way of getting it is by buying the birth cert.  The family may have only been a short time in Willaston - not long enough to appear on electoral registers.

You probably paid the records office more to do a search than the cost of a birth cert

Offline PAK

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 22 April 21 12:09 BST (UK) »
Thanks for all the replies. I have now found a copy of his birth certificate but it just shows place of birth as "Willaston". So it looks like this will remain a mystery and no centre of pilgrimage for the American descendants!