Author Topic: 1851 Census entry Aberystruth Wales  (Read 702 times)

Offline Llanfihangel

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Rootschat and the Library of Wales..... Superb!
    • View Profile
Re: 1851 Census entry Aberystruth Wales
« Reply #9 on: Friday 09 April 21 21:36 BST (UK) »
Hello Gadget,

I think you are spot-on!!

Thank you for persevering, I had given up.

This record was for Mary-Ann Barns age 3 born Glyntandu (?) in the 1851 Census for Nantyglo, Aberystruth.

The next record (also for Nantyglo, Aberystruth) is for John Barns age 1 born Pontypool

Glyn-nant-ddu colliery is very close to Pontypool, and the father is recorded as a coal miner

It seems very likely that Thomas Barns, newly arrived from Somerset lived and worked very close to Glyn-nant-ddu colliery. He and his wife were illiterate and didn't speak Welsh, so I think the name-place got mangled a bit.

This helps a lot in my search for Thomas Barns (born about 1823 in Henstridge Somerset), unknown record of marriage to Sarah Longman, and unknown date and place of death. I have done thorough searches of FindMyPast, Ancestry, and Familysearch.

The marriage probably took place in Pontypool. sometime in  1847-9

Cheers, and Thanks again!

Llanfi  :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :)
Pugh, Powell, Williams, Maddox, Prosser

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 09 April 21 22:31 BST (UK) »
 :)

I'll have a look tomorrow to see if I can find anything but, as you know, I'm fine on North Wales places/records but I haven't found any South Wales ancestors.
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 09 April 21 23:27 BST (UK) »
They seem to have moved around the SW before moving to South Wales.  Have you found the birth records of the other children,the first one listed as b.c. 1840

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 09 April 21 23:50 BST (UK) »
Something to think on-

Birth Reg
James Hunt, Q3 1843*,1840, Sherborne, Dorset, MMN Longman *43 in error
Charles Hunt , Q1 1845, Wincanton, Somerset MMN Longman

Marriage Reg
Q2 1843 Sherborne
Sarah Longman possible spouse - Robert Hunt
Q1 1845 Wincanton
Sarah Hunt  possible spouse - Edmund  Barnes

Just taking a couple of the older children's names and ages.

Gadget

Offline Llanfihangel

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Rootschat and the Library of Wales..... Superb!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 10 April 21 03:58 BST (UK) »
Hello Gadget,

I found a marriage between Robert Hunt and Sarah Longman in Sherborn Somerset 1840, and an 1841 Census record of them living in Milborn Port near Sherborn Somerset.

They had George soon after the marriage, followed by James and then Charles;

The last record of them is a birth certificate for Charles Hunt born 23 February 1845 in Henstridge to Robert Hunt and Sarah, formerly Longman. The birth was registered at Milborn Port on March 1 1845.

The family apparently broke up, because the 1851 Census finds Sara(h) with husband (?) Thomas Barns, children George, James, Charles all now with the surname Barns born in Somerset with Mary Ann, 3 years old born in Glyn-Nant-ddu Monmouthshire and John 1 year old, born in Pontypool Monmouthshire. Later censuses and a death record confirm that Sara was indeed Sarah Longman born Rimpton Somerset, and Thomas Barns (later Barnes), born in Henstridge Dorset.

It seems that Thomas Barns (later Barnes) and Sarah Longman left Somerset with George, James and Charles between  February 1845 and 1848, and went first to Pontypool where Mary Ann and John were born, and then to Aberystruth. Thomas is recorded as a coal miner in 1851 and an Iron Miner in the 1861 Census.

Thanks for your attention!  I can now research the family during the 1845 to 1848 period in Pontypool with confidence!

Llanfi  :) :) :) :) :) :) ???
Pugh, Powell, Williams, Maddox, Prosser