Author Topic: South Australia. Looking for descendants of James (John) William Rossini  (Read 1547 times)

Offline Marc Hoffrichter

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Hello.  Hoping some one can help here.
I am looking for decedents of James (John) William Rossini and Olive May Rossini nee Treloar.
John:  Lived in Upper Sturt then moved to Brompton/Croydon 1891-1955
Olive:  From Burra, when married to John moved to Upper Sturt, then Brompton/Croydon
           1884-1973
John and Olive had I believe two sons, I also believe they had several adopted children.  One of these could possibly been my mother.
Desperately trying to put all this together as I am running out of time myself now.
Any help, any indication, please either reply

Kind regards
Mark

Offline sparrett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: South Australia. Looking for descendants of James (John) William Rossini
« Reply #1 on: Friday 09 April 21 08:03 BST (UK) »
I am the son of one of the Treloars adopted children. 
Kind regards.
Marc

This above  from another of your threads.

Hi Marc,
It will be difficult for any here to help as your events are in fairly recent times and privacy considerations restrict what is available as family information.

However, The quote above places your mother with TRELOAR family, while this one places her with ROSSINI family.
Which is correct?

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Marc Hoffrichter

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 09 April 21 08:14 BST (UK) »
Hi.

Well, my mother was adopted by, I think, Olive May nee Treloar, who married James (John William) Rossini.
I am unsure if Treloar maybe my mothers birth name, and Rossini her adopted, or vice versa.
Playing the field with names because I know nothing of my mothers family history.
I need to cross the list as I go.  Each bit of information is very helpful as there is no family line I can trace after Olive who passed in 64 and John who passed in 55.
It's all shot in the dark stuff atm.  Even the State Govt is coming up a blank!
So I have a puzzle on my hands and one I need to solve quickly for my son, as I am running out of time on my end.
Thanks for the reply.  The more this gets bumped then hopefully someone who knows something will see it.

bless
Marc

Offline rosball

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • John Scott Henderson 1853 Scotland -1919 Vic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 10 April 21 00:26 BST (UK) »
Hi Marc,
  I wonder if it is possible to obtain the probate files including wills (if they exist) of John and Olive from the South Australian Archives.   https://archives.sa.gov.au/

I am not familiar with the South Australian Archives and have been reading through what is available which I find confusing.   There is some mention of probate records not being typically available for public access until after 100 years  ??? (which doesn't sound helpful).   But there is a contact-us link https://archives.sa.gov.au/general-information/contact-us/contact-us so it may be worth asking.

There is a possibility that their probate files contain info about the exact relationship of their heirs and possibly even birth certificates.   

Ros
Let's not tolerate bullying !
Herrington Kent  Henderson Scotland Kerr Scotland Reston Scotland  Smith Scotland  Kellow Cornwall  Doney Cornwall  Wadeson Lancashire  Whiteley Yorkshire Gregan Ireland

Offline sparrett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 10 April 21 01:34 BST (UK) »
 The first son of John and Olive Rossini died in 1923.

ROSSINI Peter   
Adelaide
461/299/1923

Engagement of the second son 1946
https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/35767851

Married in 1949
https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/43801092

Bridesmaids were not Rossini, but related only to the bride.
https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/130243670

A son  G****** T***** born 1951
https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/45776835

I cannot locate this man. Perhaps others will have success andbe able to contact you through the Rootschat private message system.

Sue

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 10 April 21 04:49 BST (UK) »
Marc, have you considered taking a DNA test? In cases such as yours it can sometimes be helpful.

If your mother’s side of the family is the line you are seeking, it could help considerably if you can get someone from your father’s line to test too. Any matches which you and your father’s relative do not have in common, in theory should come from your mother’s line.

Good luck.

Offline Marc Hoffrichter

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 10 April 21 05:58 BST (UK) »
Thanks everyone.

Going for the DNA test soon, unsure what thats going to be holding for me!!!  Eeeeek. Thanks Ruskie.

Ros.  The SA gov website is a never ending maze!  I can't locate a thing on there but I will persist so yes, thanks.

Sue.  You've tapped a very sad part of mums memories.  One thing she did tell me that I recall was Jimmy.  She did say he beat her black and blue with whatever was to hand and used to treat her cruelly.  Even knocked all her teeth out. Never worked out who he was as everything points to the parents not having any children.

So that gives me:
Jimmy, natural son.
William (Billy) Clark(e) Adopted
Micky (Michael?) unknown Adopted
Veronica, mum

There were another three from recollections.  No idea what the names were, I was too young.

Thanks everyone.  You're all good souls.
Bless

Offline rosball

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • John Scott Henderson 1853 Scotland -1919 Vic
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 10 April 21 23:07 BST (UK) »
The death notice for Peter ROSSINI who died in Adelaide in 1923 says he is the fourth beloved son of James ROSSINI of Upper Sturt ...?
http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article210976244

Ros
Let's not tolerate bullying !
Herrington Kent  Henderson Scotland Kerr Scotland Reston Scotland  Smith Scotland  Kellow Cornwall  Doney Cornwall  Wadeson Lancashire  Whiteley Yorkshire Gregan Ireland

Offline Marc Hoffrichter

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 11 April 21 00:34 BST (UK) »
Hi Ros.
Yes the Rossinis were known for their vege/fruit gardens in Mount Lofty/Upper Sturt.
Complicated, but follow this:
My father's family lived in Upper Sturt, when my father was young. 
He and his older brother Gerald used to sneek into the Rossini apple orchard and steal their apples.
This orchard belonged to my mothers family and my mothers job was to chase them out of the yard.
Consequently thats how my mum and dad met.  They stayed in touch through the years and got back together later on.
John Rossini was one of seven? Rossini children.  Different Rossini family I believe, but I need to link it all together somehow.

Appreciated Ros.
Bless
Mark