Author Topic: Postcard writing  (Read 2737 times)

Offline Karen McDonald

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • ** THINK POSITIVE! **
    • View Profile
Re: Postcard writing
« Reply #27 on: Saturday 17 April 21 20:32 BST (UK) »
Looking at the first letters of Boston and Edith, it certainly appears to say B. E. button.

"British Empire" was my first thought, too.

Maybe she collected military buttons?!

McDonald MacDonald M'Donald McGregor MacGregor M'Gregor Twilley Wells Fentiman Carrington Rowe Needham Mitchell Mackie Collingwood Fuller Maides Shilton Hagon Budd

Offline emjayf

• RootsChat Member
  • Photo is 2020 me. Got fed up with my old silly one
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Tuesday 20 April 21 22:08 BST (UK) »
Hi all,

So I don't need help with the transcription for this one (see image), I just wondered is there a way to see who is living at this address on the 1901/1911 census? I don't know if my Great Grandad (Mr J Fouldes) was lodging at this place or it belonged to his family? I did try a search but I couldn't see anything.

The postcard is from his future wife (Alice) Maud Beaumont.

Thanks
MJ
Fouldes.<br />Any area where our family are.  My branch started around Derbyshire, Nott's and Yorkshire.  We ended up in South Lincolnshire!  So yay!  Course any area with Fouldes in would help!  See my family tree below for what gaps I have!  Cheers!

Would also like to see any Beaumont's from Sheffield as I have lots of family photos & can't identify them!!

Offline emjayf

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Tuesday 20 April 21 22:47 BST (UK) »
Okay another one.  Now I think it says this:

Miss M Beaumont
74 South Street, Moor, Sheffield
Post Marked Sheffield Apr 15th 1908

Dear Maud,
Just a line to say I got your letter this morning Monday. My word you are going to be busy. I hope it keeps fine for you. I could see you had been doing the ????? that is the reason I write to ask if you had done. Do you like my postcards I got at Wilson's in Fargate only 1d each. From Mary xxxxxxxx

How is your friend Jessie going on.

If anyone can make out the question marks or if they disagree with my guesses would be very happy.

Also wasn't too sure on the postmarked year. It could be 08, 05 or even 06!

Thanks again
MJ
Fouldes.<br />Any area where our family are.  My branch started around Derbyshire, Nott's and Yorkshire.  We ended up in South Lincolnshire!  So yay!  Course any area with Fouldes in would help!  See my family tree below for what gaps I have!  Cheers!

Would also like to see any Beaumont's from Sheffield as I have lots of family photos & can't identify them!!

Offline antonymark

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Tuesday 20 April 21 22:56 BST (UK) »
attics  ??

I was comparing the 't' in "to be busy"

Tony.
Hoare, Milsted, Peacock, Herbert, Crampin, McIlroy, Holden, Hilton, Fawcett.

Offline emjayf

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Tuesday 20 April 21 23:22 BST (UK) »
Attics makes good sense!

Thank you!
MJ

Offline bbart

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Wednesday 21 April 21 02:39 BST (UK) »

So I don't need help with the transcription for this one (see image), I just wondered is there a way to see who is living at this address on the 1901/1911 census? I don't know if my Great Grandad (Mr J Fouldes) was lodging at this place or it belonged to his family? I did try a search but I couldn't see anything.

1911:  No Fouldes there.  Elderly widow Wright with some of her family, but looks like she does board people, as two young men were boarding there.

Offline emjayf

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Wednesday 21 April 21 07:41 BST (UK) »

1911:  No Fouldes there.  Elderly widow Wright with some of her family, but looks like she does board people, as two young men were boarding there.
[/quote]

Thank you. I have access to Ancestry and findmypast now, but couldn't see how you could type in an address to search for censuses! That is useful to know. So he was most likely boarding. 

Thank you
MJ

Offline bbart

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Wednesday 21 April 21 08:11 BST (UK) »
At FindmyPast on the 1901 and 1911 the addresses are indexed, so just search with 1901 +/- 0 or 1911 +/- 0, and stick the address in the bottom box called Optional Keywords.
If it fails to return anything, drop the house number.

I can't remember off the top of my head, but I don't think the older censuses have the addresses in the index, so this wouldn't work, but you may get electoral registers.

Online BumbleB

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Wednesday 21 April 21 08:19 BST (UK) »
FindMyPast - to search census entries via address rather than name - from the home page and All Record Sets from the Quick Links, you can decide on the census year, and you will then have the choice of searching by name or address.

Transcriptions and NBI are merely finding aids.  They are NOT a substitute for original record entries.
Remember - "They'll be found when they want to be found" !!!
If you don't ask the question, you won't get an answer.
He/she who never made a mistake, never made anything.
Archbell - anywhere, any date
Kendall - WRY
Milner - WRY
Appleyard - WRY