Author Topic: A puzzling Family Mystery.. help please  (Read 26643 times)

Offline Jayhen6

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: A puzzling Family Mystery.. help please
« Reply #36 on: Thursday 08 April 21 22:43 BST (UK) »
newspaper notice 23 Nov 1951

Mrs Hannah Cooper of 48 Compton Avenue Goring, formerly of Chiswick, who died 27 Sept last, aged 91 years...

Great stuff.. another piece in the jigsaw done... 👏👏👏
Daubney's of Lincoln:-:Fox's of Ringley:-:Norris's of Chorley:-:Tong's of Bolton:-:Chadwick's of Leeds

Offline Jayhen6

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Thursday 08 April 21 22:47 BST (UK) »
Yes bingo probate to Gladys Vivien Cooper spinster  :D

Yahoo.. great stuff.. amazing that Gladys remained single all her life living off her own means!.. Was this because her parents split up?..still intrigued.. I shall revisit the photo album to try and identify some of the sitters!.. I’ll post on here when I can work out how to post photos via my iPad?.. Thanks once again ‘so far’ for everyone’s assistance..👏👏👏
Daubney's of Lincoln:-:Fox's of Ringley:-:Norris's of Chorley:-:Tong's of Bolton:-:Chadwick's of Leeds

Offline Sue Welford

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Saturday 29 May 21 02:19 BST (UK) »
Hello - thankyou for putting out details of Gladys Vivian Cooper and the Family Mystery. We have now solved most of the queries put out in the replies. Gladys and her husband  Harry Albert lived together for only three years but never divorced. Harry graduated from London Uni in 1887 with a BA and worked for the India Office. Harry, on his travels, always gave his mother's address as his residence. We think he lived for a while at a Boarding house in Brighton and the lady mentioned was simply another  boarder there. Harry died in Newquay in Cornwall and left Gladys and income for life as well as Florence Henrietta Brown who lived at the same address athough she died before Harry. We have a copy of his Will. Gladys lived with her mother, Hannah, all her life. She left "Gladwynn" 14 Netheravon Road, Chiswick some time before 1924 and moved to Goring by Sea with Hannah -the home of Herbert Edward Pettengill who left her the house in his will. She is listed in the Will as his companion. After Hannah died Gladys went to visit a relative of Bert's in America then moved to Purley in Surrey. We have not been able to find anything about Gladys in the war years but know she returned to the Nursing Home in Worthing where she died. She left legacies to various relatives and friends. Sarah Louisa Hone who gifted the album to Gladys was the Aunt of Elsie Hone visiting Gladys in 1911. Sarah Louisa had married twice, the second time to John Miller but for some reason put her first married name in  the Album. Lots more info - not room here but thankyou everyone. I'm writing Gladys lifestory and will see if I can post it on here.

Offline Jayhen6

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Saturday 29 May 21 09:21 BST (UK) »
Hello Sue, great research on this topic. Good luck with the book. Looking forward to it with interest. John n

Offline Sue Welford

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Saturday 29 May 21 12:47 BST (UK) »
Thanks John - it’s been quite a joirney.
Best wishes
Sue