Author Topic: William Thompson GRAHAM  (Read 1629 times)

Offline Rod Blackshaw

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
William Thompson GRAHAM
« on: Thursday 08 April 21 18:10 BST (UK) »
I am trying to trace the origins of William Thompson GRAHAM (also known on occasion as Thomas GRAHAM). What I know is that he was born in Ireland about 1858, the son of John GRAHAM (a bootmaker) and by 1891 he was lodging in Pendleton, Lancashire and working as a letter press printer. In the same year he married Jane GUILDFORD (nee WALKER) in Hulme, Manchester and they had 4 children. Jane died in 1900 and William was recorded in the 1901 census as still living in Pendleton with the two eldest children Dora (b. 1893) and Rowland Edwin (b 1894). That is the last I am sure of. Strangely, I can find no trace of the youngest children, Mary Emmeline (b. 1896) and Annie Kathleen (b. 1898) in either the 1901 or the 1911 census. They reappear in Wilmslow, Cheshire when they marry in the 1920s.

I have reached a dead end searching for William Thompson GRAHAM in Ireland. If anyone out there in the wonderful world of RootsChat has come across him I would appreciate any info.

Offline Pennines

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: William Thompson GRAHAM
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 08 April 21 19:09 BST (UK) »
This is a shot in the dark - but maybe worth bearing in mind as a possibility until further evidence is found.

On 8 Oct 1850, a John Graham, aged 21, Shoemaker - married Mary Ellen Thompson aged 19 in Belfast, denomination Presbyterian.

Groom's father Moses Graham, Bootmaker
Wife's father William James Thompson, 'Gardiner'

Witnesses S.P. Brown and William Boles.

This couple had at least the following children (note the names Rowland and Emeline)

1859 Rowland
1861 Roland
1865 Emeline
1870 Harriott

In 1865 an address of 5 Hanover St, Belfast is shown. There must have been more children than this as there is a large gap between the marriage and the first baptism.

Places of interest;
Lancashire, West Yorkshire, Southern Ireland, Scotland.

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 08 April 21 19:18 BST (UK) »
That looks a good find, Pennines - all those family names  :)
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile

Offline Kiltaglassan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Seven Sisters mountain range in Co Donegal
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 08 April 21 19:40 BST (UK) »
Researching: Cuthbertson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Australia; Hunter – Co. Derry; Jackson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Canada; Scott – Co. Derry; Neilly – Co. Antrim & USA; McCurdy – Co. Antrim; Nixon – Co. Cavan, Co. Donegal, Canada & USA; Ryan & Noble – Co. Sligo

Offline Kiltaglassan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Seven Sisters mountain range in Co Donegal
    • View Profile
Researching: Cuthbertson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Australia; Hunter – Co. Derry; Jackson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Canada; Scott – Co. Derry; Neilly – Co. Antrim & USA; McCurdy – Co. Antrim; Nixon – Co. Cavan, Co. Donegal, Canada & USA; Ryan & Noble – Co. Sligo

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 08 April 21 20:35 BST (UK) »
Triplets - gosh.

I think this is Dora in 1911
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:XW39-XZC

Henry Hardy married Jessie Guildford in 1904

Rowland in 1911

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:XW1Q-1KD

Death of Rowland E Graham 1919, Salford

Offline Pennines

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 08 April 21 20:51 BST (UK) »
Oh gosh! This has moved on a bit.

Well done Heywood and Kiltaglassan!

Yes Heywood, I thought the names of John and Mary Ellen's children - linked beautifully to William's children later - also the occupations of William, his father and grandfather.

However that couple (John and Mary Ellen) must have had earlier children though - including William himself. I couldn't find his baptism - and I know whenever I say I can't find something -- somebody else does!!
Places of interest;
Lancashire, West Yorkshire, Southern Ireland, Scotland.

Offline Rod Blackshaw

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 08 April 21 21:58 BST (UK) »
Looking good to me and making sense. Thanks for your efforts.  Jessie GUILDFORD was the step-sister of the GRAHAM children and Henry HARDY was working as a dairyman in Wilmslow in 1911. Rowland was staying with his step-brother Francis GUILDFORD in 1911 in Salford. I am very confident that Mary Emmeline (my granny) was in Wilmslow before WW1 but do not know about Annie Kathleen. Mary Emmeline married in 1920 and Annie in 1924, giving her address as that of Mary.

You have given me enough to delve further and I like the fact that it now looks like I have a Moses as well as an Abraham in my ancestry!