Author Topic: A Coincidence  (Read 1199 times)

Offline BillyF

• RootsChat Veteran
  • My lovely Mum about 1940
    • View Profile
A Coincidence
« on: Thursday 08 April 21 19:19 BST (UK) »
There`s always a surprise to be had in genealogy !!

MY Scottish gt grandparents James and Agnes became estranged for some reason, which made me feel I didn`t have much interest in James` siblings. I have held back from following them up but have been researching them this week.

On the 1891 census James` sister Rachel lived with her husband at 10 Ladylaw Place, Hawick. I thought it seemed familiar, so on with the thinking cap!

In 1905 Agnes` sister Mary married William Scott - their address was 10 Ladylaw Place.

24 years between the 2 events, but Mary and Rachel had only 1 year in age separating them !

I don`t know when the "feud" between the 2 families started.

Offline pharmaT

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: A Coincidence
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 18 April 21 00:01 BST (UK) »
In the 1881 Census my mum's great uncle was living in a tenement flat.  80 years later when my mum and dad married they moved into a flat in the same close.  It wasn't a family property so that doesn't explain it.
Campbell, Dunn, Dickson, Fell, Forest, Norie, Pratt, Somerville, Thompson, Tyler among others

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 18 April 21 02:49 BST (UK) »
On the 1891 census James` sister Rachel lived with her husband at 10 Ladylaw Place, Hawick.

In 1905 Agnes` sister Mary married William Scott - their address was 10 Ladylaw Place.

24 years between the 2 events, but Mary and Rachel had only 1 year in age separating them !

Have you checked the VRs?

If I'm on the right track, William Johnstone is a Tenant Occupier at no. 10 in 1904/5

There are others at the same address which is probably a tenement with room & kitchen lets with shared outside toilet?

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline macwil

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 18 April 21 10:25 BST (UK) »
There`s always a surprise to be had in genealogy !!
. . .
On the 1891 census James` sister Rachel lived with her husband at 10 Ladylaw Place, Hawick. I thought it seemed familiar, so on with the thinking cap!

. . .

Check your maths.
1905-1891 = 14 not 24.
Although that is still a little strange, maybe Mary just couldn't find the right man.
Active links are now (after 13/04/2018) indicated by bold red italics. Just click on them.
The only stupid question is the one not asked

WILSON; Lancs, Lanrks.
BERRY; Lancs.
BORASTON; Salop, Worcs,
TYLER; Salop, Herefords.

Online coombs

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Research the dead....forget the living.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 18 April 21 12:23 BST (UK) »
My paternal grandparents are not related (at least not in the past few hundred years) but my gran's grandfather James Edgington were living in Oxford in 1861, and one of my grandfather's great gran's was working as a servant in Oxford city in 1861, just a few streets away from the Edgingtons. She later moved to Essex via London, and James Edgington's daughter moved to Essex via London and Sussex.
Researching:

LONDON, Coombs, Roberts, Auber, Helsdon, Fradine, Morin, Goodacre
DORSET Coombs, Munday
NORFOLK Helsdon, Riches, Harbord, Budery
KENT Roberts, Goodacre
SUSSEX Walder, Boniface, Dinnage, Standen, Lee, Botten, Wickham, Jupp
SUFFOLK Titshall, Frost, Fairweather, Mayhew, Archer, Eade, Scarfe
DURHAM Stewart, Musgrave, Wilson, Forster
SCOTLAND Stewart in Selkirk
USA Musgrave, Saix
ESSEX Cornwell, Stock, Quilter, Lawrence, Whale, Clift
OXON Edgington, Smith, Inkpen, Snell, Batten, Brain

Offline BillyF

• RootsChat Veteran
  • My lovely Mum about 1940
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 18 April 21 15:08 BST (UK) »
" Check your maths.
1905-1891 = 14 not 24.
Although that is still a little strange, maybe Mary just couldn't find the right man."

You`re so right, slapping myself on the wrist !!
Mary did take a long time to find the right man, her first illegitimate child was born 1880, then 1 in 1887, RCE for that one and her final child in 1900 when she was 40, but none with William Scott.

I came across another one this week, but can`t remember what it is !!