Author Topic: Burial place in Sunderland  (Read 974 times)

Offline Gollach

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Burial place in Sunderland
« on: Thursday 08 April 21 21:19 BST (UK) »
Hi, sorry for the vague title, but a bit complicate to capture in a title.
My relative was Scottish, emigrated to Canada in 1900s and served with CEF during WW1 then re-served in WW2 as Chief Steward with the Merchant Navy.  He died suddenly whilst the ship was in England and his death is listed in the England & Wales Civil Registration Death Index for 1916-2007; the Registration District is Sunderland and the Inferred County is Durham.   It gives the date of death.
Question: how do I find out where he was actually buried?
Apologies if I've missed anything out.  I don't have much more, other than what is given in the Death Index.
I have the ship name if that helps, suspect not though.
Grateful for any steer in the right direction.
Thanks in advance.

Gollach

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: Burial place in Sunderland
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 08 April 21 22:21 BST (UK) »
More details needed please

What was his name - death year - age. 

The GRO death index does not give an actual death date - just the quarter in which the death was registered

Did he have family in Scotland or Canada?  Is it at all likely his body was flown back to Canada or taken to Scotland?

The Sunderland RD covered many areas - do you know exactly where he died

https://www.ukbmd.org.uk/reg/districts/sunderland.html

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline Gollach

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 10 April 21 11:34 BST (UK) »
Hi there, yes I do have a few more details.
His name was Thomas MacKay Kiddie, dob 30.9.1889  d. 4 Jul 1944.  I found exact date of death in the UK Merchant Seamen Deaths (1939-1953).  Place of Death in this record is given as Sunderland, England.
His body was not flown home as I am in touch through Ancestry with this grand-daughter, and in fact I have a photo of Thomas' wife's gravestone and it's only her name that's on it (she died well after him).  The family only know that he died in England on 4/7/1944.

As I mentioned earlier, the ship was the SS Rosedale Park (Off No. 175388) and was broken up after the war (registered in Montreal).  He was "Chief Steward".

He had signed up for the Merchant Navy only a couple of months before he sailed to England and subsequently died of what sounds (from the Merchant Seaman Records) as heart failure/attack.  I hope this is of some help.
Kind regards
Gollach

Offline Gollach

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 10 April 21 11:53 BST (UK) »
Hello again,
I have just found a Marine Return Record for Thomas Kiddie in the Scotlands People site but all it gives is more or less what I've already turned up myself.  It doesn't tell you where he was buried.  Does this mean the burial place is in Scotland? I wonder.
I never thought of checking Scotland records as I didn't think of that, I don't know why.
He may have gone back to Dundee where he was born.  Do I need to get in touch with somewhere in Dundee??
Many thanks.
Gollach

Offline Gollach

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 13 April 21 18:22 BST (UK) »
Hi, contacted Scotlands People who confirmed all marine returns for Scottish people in various military roles have been added to their records.  Still would like some pointers to find out who I can contact with regard to where my relative was buried.
Regards
Gollach