Author Topic: Sponsors and Deposit Journals  (Read 1851 times)

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
Re: Sponsors and Deposit Journals
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 10 April 21 00:09 BST (UK) »
 :) :)

So the name/s ages occupations of the Assisted  Immigrants and their then current UK address would be  recorded in the depositors journal, against the entry showing the amount the NSW based sponsor was depositing towards the fares for the sea voyage to NSW. 

So the Sponsor's name would be recorded and the actual amount lodged per person.  By 1880s, adult fares would apply to passengers aged 12 or 14 and over.  Half fares for children... so a deposit being lodged for an entire family would be 2 quid each  for  Mum, Dad, and  each teenage child, and 1quid each for the younger children. 

Also, please do Remember to check the passenger lists carefully, as older children could be treated as single applications, not listed with family, and have different sponsor arrangements.  So from about 16 years of age, singles, male and female were not part  of the same "ticket" for their parents/younger siblings for passage to the colony of NSW ...  look at Camperdown passenger list,  families by surname, and then later pages, single males by surname and single females by surname ... a typical layout.... notice that sometimes the compiler noted if family members were onboard....

The depositors journals, by the 1880s, also included the name and address of a person in the UK who had verified the info about the family.  So for example, that person was often the family's Reverend at their local church, prior to migration.

If you have a NSW State Library readers card, then from your armchair,  go online and read the various 19th century UK digitised  newspapers freely available ... keywords could include:
Emigration Agents for New South Wales....
Emigration Schemes for NSW
NSW Assisted Passage

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 10 April 21 00:23 BST (UK) »
Do you have a family connection to passengers on the Camperdown in 1880 or are you searching background for the various sponsors of passengers on that voyage.   I notice the surname BALDWIN on that passenger list, and from earlier threads to which I have posted I recognise that surname as of interest to you. 

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline iwccc

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 20 April 21 12:17 BST (UK) »
Hello majm,, Yes I am still trying to piece together information about the Baldwin family.  they came to Australia twice to my current knowledge - once on the Melmerby and again on the Camperdown.  Just trying to verify their movements and why them came etc. 
Thanks for the information and advice regarding tracking down how to research the Deposit Journals. Much appreciated.