Author Topic: 1633 Women's clothing & jewellery  (Read 370 times)

Online mckha489

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
1633 Women's clothing & jewellery
« on: Friday 09 April 21 08:15 BST (UK) »
I am fairly confident I have this transcribed correctly as

my said sonne Thomas one border of gold and Gold Smithes worke which was my late wifes and also
my said late wifes Gowne of Black Flush

But What is Black Flush?  is it Velvet?  And what might a border of gold be? a solid necklace, a belt?

Offline ThrelfallYorky

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: 1633 Women's clothing & jewellery
« Reply #1 on: Friday 09 April 21 15:41 BST (UK) »
Could it be "Black plush" - a sort of velvet like fabric?
And borders, especially if as rich and elaborate as that sounds, could be sewn and re-sewn onto different garments, rather as good lace has so often been sewn on, carefully taken off, and sewn on to another garment. That could go on for years and years - I found a very old, very fragile, obviously hand-made lace collar-like thing which had obviously been sewn onto garments and then removed, packed in tissue paper in a box of my grandmothers
Threlfall (Southport), Isherwood (lancs & Canada), Newbould + Topliss(Derby), Keating & Cummins (Ireland + lancs), Fisher, Strong& Casson (all Cumberland) & Downie & Bowie, Linlithgow area Scotland . Also interested in Leigh& Burrows,(Lancashire) Griffiths (Shropshire & lancs), Leaver (Lancs/Yorks) & Anderson(Cumberland and very elusive)

Offline Rena

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copyright: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 09 April 21 16:23 BST (UK) »
I agree with Yorky. 

I've still got some lovely borders in my sewing machine cupboard, that each adorned a few garments over a period of years.   My late mother had a couple of etched silver coloured dress adornments that she clipped onto the necks of certain garments.

I remember plush being quite common in my youth.
Here's the official description of plush (n.)
"soft fabric, cloth having a softer and longer nap than that of velvet," 1590s, from French pluche "shag, plush," contraction of peluche "hairy fabric," from Old French peluchier "to pull, to tug, to pluck" (the final process in weaving plush), from Vulgar Latin *piluccare "remove hair" (see pluck (v.)).

Aberdeen: Findlay-Shirras,McCarthy: MidLothian: Mason,Telford,Darling,Cruikshanks,Bennett,Sime, Bell: Lanarks:Crum, Brown, MacKenzie,Cameron, Glen, Millar; Ross: Urray:Mackenzie:  Moray: Findlay; Marshall/Marischell: Perthshire: Brown Ferguson: Wales: McCarthy, Thomas: England: Almond, Askin, Dodson, Well(es). Harrison, Maw, McCarthy, Munford, Pye, Shearing, Smith, Smythe, Speight, Strike, Wallis/Wallace, Ward, Wells;Germany: Flamme,Ehlers, Bielstein, Germer, Mohlm, Reupke

Offline hanes teulu

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 09 April 21 19:05 BST (UK) »
I considered "plush" in spite of being unable to find a "p" under Secretary Script that looked anything like the word in question.

What is the word after the word being read as "flush" - looks like "hem"?
I wondered of the word "fflush" could be the colour red?

Offline josey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 09 April 21 19:13 BST (UK) »
I think the next word is 'Item' meaning start of another bequest.

I wonder why the border & gown are being left to son Thomas & not to a female?
Seeking: RC baptism Philip Murray Feb ish 1814 ? nr Chatham Kent.
IRE: Kik DRAY[EA], PURCELL, WHITE: Mea LYNCH: Tip MURRAY, SHEEDY: Wem ALLEN, ENGLISHBY; Dub PENROSE: Lim DUNN[E], FRAWLEY, WILLIAMS.
87th Regiment RIF: MURRAY
ENG; Marylebone HAYTER, TROU[W]SDALE, WILLIAMS,DUNEVAN Con HAMPTON, TREMELLING Wry CLEGG, HOLLAND, HORSEFIELD Coventry McGINTY
CAN; Halifax & Pictou: HOLLAND, WHITE, WILLIAMSON

Offline Bookbox

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 09 April 21 19:19 BST (UK) »
It is written ... blacke fflush (not plush).

The next word is Item (it's the 1st word of the next bequest). (Sorry, josey, I was typing when you posted.)

Looking at all the entries for flush in OED, I can't find an appropriate meaning that would fit the context here. But remember that this is a register copy of the will. It is possible that the original was Plush, and that when the copy was made, a capital P was mis-read as capital F (rendered here as ff).

Online mckha489

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 09 April 21 19:51 BST (UK) »

I wonder why the border & gown are being left to son Thomas & not to a female?

Thank you all very much.

The border and gown were left to Thomas to give to his wife. Why it couldn’t be left directly to his wife I don’t know!   

There was also  for another son a “. Wastcoate with shirts (or skirts?) and other things
thereto belonging wrought in needlework with gold silver and silke which was my late wifes for
the end that hee should bestow it on his wife as my gift when it shall please God that hee bee
married”