Author Topic: The Duke of Edinburgh has passed away  (Read 5802 times)

Offline Rena

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copyright: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: The Duke of Edinburgh has passed away
« Reply #18 on: Friday 09 April 21 23:59 BST (UK) »
A forward thinking man of many talents RIP -
Aberdeen: Findlay-Shirras,McCarthy: MidLothian: Mason,Telford,Darling,Cruikshanks,Bennett,Sime, Bell: Lanarks:Crum, Brown, MacKenzie,Cameron, Glen, Millar; Ross: Urray:Mackenzie:  Moray: Findlay; Marshall/Marischell: Perthshire: Brown Ferguson: Wales: McCarthy, Thomas: England: Almond, Askin, Dodson, Well(es). Harrison, Maw, McCarthy, Munford, Pye, Shearing, Smith, Smythe, Speight, Strike, Wallis/Wallace, Ward, Wells;Germany: Flamme,Ehlers, Bielstein, Germer, Mohlm, Reupke

Offline NSWP

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Saturday 10 April 21 10:05 BST (UK) »
Rest in peace sir, you have done your duty in war and peace.
Residing in Batemans Bay, Australia, but originally from 'Mother England', transported to HM Colonies in 1966.

'Adventure before Dementia'

Offline suey

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • The light is on but there's no-one at home!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Saturday 10 April 21 10:11 BST (UK) »

Sad news. RIP sir.
Great picture front page of the Daily Star, HRH from behind raising his bowler hat, said it all for me .

All census lookups are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Sussex - Knapp. Nailard. Potten. Coleman. Pomfrey. Carter. Picknell
Greenwich/Woolwich. - Clowting. Davis. Kitts. Ferguson. Lowther. Carvalho. Pressman. Redknap. Argent.
Hertfordshire - Sturgeon. Bird. Rule. Claxton. Taylor. Braggins

Offline Dyingout

• RootsChat Senior
  • My Father Charles in his hockey playing days
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Saturday 10 April 21 14:01 BST (UK) »
Having met the man on numerous occasions. I can verify that he was totally politically incorrect, liked to mix with the ordinary guys and the ruder the jokes and jibes the better.
First met him when I was about thirteen through the Duke of Edinburgh award scheme. then once more through that.
When I had relocated in the UK. I was part of the beating team at Lord Brabourne's estate, close to where I lived.
The whole of the family would visit the estate during the shooting season. Prince Phillip would be one of the most frequent and was a very good shot too.
After the shoot, the loaders and beaters were always well-fed, watered and paid. All of the guns would serve you the food and drink, then mix with you all laughing and chatting just like ordinary people. Had many a good weekend doing that.
Later on, in life, I met him and the queen sometimes twice a month, as had a job delivering the royal visit cars, for Ford Motor company.
A great man and a great loss, as an ambassador for normality in high ranking life, was his forte.
Sir I salute you for the last time may you rest in peace knowing a job was well done. 
Dow/Dowe Norfolk and Suffolk
Mulley/Wilden Suffolk
Loome/lombe Norfolk

Offline Gillg

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Saturday 10 April 21 16:28 BST (UK) »
Astounded to read that people have been complaining about the amount of coverage on the BBC of Prince Philip's passing!  If a man can spend over 70 years of his life serving our country in so many ways and supporting the Queen, surely this tribute to an exceptional man is fitting.  Maybe some don't like things interfering with their usual programmes, but I find this attitude appalling.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

FAIREY/FAIRY/FAREY/FEARY, LAWSON, CHURCH, BENSON, HALSTEAD from Easton, Ellington, Eynesbury, Gt Catworth, Huntingdon, Spaldwick, Hunts;  Burnley, Lancs;  New Zealand, Australia & US.

HURST, BOLTON,  BUTTERWORTH, ADAMSON, WILD, MCIVOR from Milnrow, Newhey, Oldham & Rochdale, Lancs., Scotland.

Offline Caw1

• RootsChat Senior
  • Joyce Irene Harriss 1920 - 2011
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Saturday 10 April 21 16:35 BST (UK) »
Astounded to read that people have been complaining about the amount of coverage on the BBC of Prince Philip's passing!  If a man can spend over 70 years of his life serving our country in so many ways and supporting the Queen, surely this tribute to an exceptional man is fitting.  Maybe some don't like things interfering with their usual programmes, but I find this attitude appalling.

I don’t think it’s a question of finding ‘this attitude appalling’.... it is right that there should be coverage about a person who has been behind our Queen for so many years.... but do you think it was necessary for both BBC1 & BBC2 to be covering the events.?
There are plenty of other channels for those who watch tv.. but it’s a bit blanket coverage isn’t it with ITV & Sky too....

Just a comment.

Caroline
Guy - UK,USA
Bangerter -UK,Australia,Switzerland
Harriss - UK, Australia
Merrall - UK
Swinnock - UK
Lloyd - UK

Offline ThrelfallYorky

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Saturday 10 April 21 16:44 BST (UK) »
What would be wrong with reading a book? No-one makes you watch television. I watched about an hour of it, after watching recorded "Young Montalbano" - nice and mindless to take your mind off the sad (but not unexpected) news, for a bit.
And obviously they all have the programmes organised and ready to slip swiftly into place. I suppose the Beeb felt offering something light-hearted on one of its other channels might seem crass?
Threlfall (Southport), Isherwood (lancs & Canada), Newbould + Topliss(Derby), Keating & Cummins (Ireland + lancs), Fisher, Strong& Casson (all Cumberland) & Downie & Bowie, Linlithgow area Scotland . Also interested in Leigh& Burrows,(Lancashire) Griffiths (Shropshire & lancs), Leaver (Lancs/Yorks) & Anderson(Cumberland and very elusive)

Offline Mike in Cumbria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Saturday 10 April 21 17:20 BST (UK) »
We watched some of the coverage. Charles, Anne and the rest were dressed in black, talking extensively  about their dad in the past tense - surely they must have recorded those interviews whilst he was still alive, which seemed rather strange.

Offline suey

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • The light is on but there's no-one at home!
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Saturday 10 April 21 18:46 BST (UK) »
We watched some of the coverage. Charles, Anne and the rest were dressed in black, talking extensively  about their dad in the past tense - surely they must have recorded those interviews whilst he was still alive, which seemed rather strange.

We noticed that as well.  Perhaps as Philip had been unwell for some time they had had time to prepare. As we know though, the Royals leave nothing to chance.

We watched the gun salute today, the British Military doing what they do best. What a wonderful send off.
All census lookups are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Sussex - Knapp. Nailard. Potten. Coleman. Pomfrey. Carter. Picknell
Greenwich/Woolwich. - Clowting. Davis. Kitts. Ferguson. Lowther. Carvalho. Pressman. Redknap. Argent.
Hertfordshire - Sturgeon. Bird. Rule. Claxton. Taylor. Braggins