Author Topic: Oxford Militia George Lambert  (Read 475 times)

Offline akissling

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Oxford Militia George Lambert
« on: Friday 09 April 21 19:00 BST (UK) »
I am looking for the military record of George Lambert, Quartermaster Sergeant in the "Oxford Militia". I am assuming that is the Oxfordshire Militia. I do not know where he was born. In 1782 he was in Devon. His wife is Mary and they had a son, John Thomas Sterling Lambert, who was baptized there in 1782. George's occupation is listed in the record:
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:QGP6-V1LL
The family is found back in Oxford and I believe George died in 1802 (buried April 21 in Thame, occupation publican). I also found a reference to  "G. Lambert quartermaster, 1802"
https://www.google.com/books/edition/History_of_the_Oxfordshire_Regiment_of_M/0aNPAAAAYAAJ?hl=en&gbpv=1&bsq=Lambert
On his son John's second marriage certificate his father's occupation is listed as victualer.
I cannot seem to find him in the military records in two of the larger genealogy websites. Any suggestions? Thanks!
Carey, McCabe, McKinnon, Barr, Curr, Templeton

Offline hanes teulu

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Oxford Militia George Lambert
« Reply #1 on: Friday 09 April 21 22:21 BST (UK) »
Kentish Weekly Post or Canterbury Journal, 5 Apr 1799
PROMOTIONS
Commissions in the Oxford Regiment of Militia, signed by the Lord Lieutenant

To be Quarter Master - George Lambert; dated February 22 1798

Have you checked the London Gazette?

Offline hanes teulu

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 09 April 21 22:27 BST (UK) »
The Oxford Journal, Saturday, 28 Apr 1803, has the burial
" The same day (ie. Tue last) at Thame, in this County, George Lambert, Quarter Master in the Oxford Regiment of Militia".

Offline akissling

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 09 April 21 22:35 BST (UK) »
Thanks so much! I wasn't able to find his death bc the transcription said 1802 and I hadn't bothered to confirm this. Thanks for the other news clippings as well. I will check the London Gazette next. Thanks again!

Offline akissling

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 10 April 21 13:46 BST (UK) »
I am still not having luck finding George's military record but found another article in the newspaper from 1779 (dated Norwich May 26-Gloucester Journal, June 5). Apparently someone delivered hand-bills under the barrack's gate described as "scandalous, wicked...". The article was signed "For self and other Non-commissioned Officers and Privates". G. Lambert, Serjeant-Major, ORM". He and the other non-comm officers and privates were offering 3 days pay from each of them for information on who did this. I am adding it because it is interesting in case anyone else is looking for him.

I would think that someone getting a quartermaster appointment would be in the later part of their career but maybe that assumption is wrong. Am I also correct to think that he was in the military in order to become a quartermaster or could that position be given to a private citizen with no other military experience? I checked this website but didn't find the ORM specifically listed https://www.sofo.org.uk/oxfordshires-regiments/.

Online ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 10 April 21 14:04 BST (UK) »
Have you seen the advertisement by Rosetta Lambert, widow of George Lambert deceased, saying that she intends to carry on the business of the One Bell Inn at Thame, as usual, to support herself and 6 children?

Oxford Journal, 23 April 1803, page 2, column 2 and 30 April 1803, page 3, column 3
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline akissling

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 10 April 21 14:11 BST (UK) »
Fantastic find because I have not and I believe this is his second wife!!! Thanks so much! This is a huge find and so helpful!