Author Topic: Thomas Davie and Augusta Minell from Sunderland to the USA  (Read 535 times)

Offline erin31

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Thomas Davie and Augusta Minell from Sunderland to the USA
« on: Friday 09 April 21 22:34 BST (UK) »
I am very much in need of help..... again.

Thomas Davie was born in Sunderland, Durham, England in 1849, so of James Davie and Mary Scott.
Thomas is living with his parents in Sunderland on the 1861 and 1871 census but then disappears.
The next record I can find is a marriage record in the USA which is below.

I have been unable to find any other records of Thomas either before or after his marriage and would very much appreciate any help.  :)

Thomas Davie
Marriage 16 May 1876
Manhattan New York
Age 26
Birth place Sunderland England
Father James Davie
Mother Mary Scott

Spouse Augusta Minell
Age 25
Birth place Cuxhafen Prussia Germany
Father Albery Minell
Mother Johanna Pullak

Offline oldohiohome

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Thomas Davie and Augusta Minell from Sunderland to the USA
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 10 April 21 23:52 BST (UK) »
I didn't find them either.
I think you can rule out Thomas Davey living at 44 Greenwich Ave in the 1876-1878 NYC directories - and probably other years also. His will, probated in Nov 1885, makes no mention of a wife or children and indicates he was a fairly rich person for the times.

immigration: lots of Thomas Davies arriving - he might be one of them but it would be impossible to tell which one.

Offline erin31

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 11 April 21 14:36 BST (UK) »
It is difficult with there being so many Thomas Davie's and I thought his wife or her family may of been easier to find but I can find no record of them either. Just another brick wall!

Thank you for taking the time to look  :)

Offline shellyesq

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 11 April 21 18:54 BST (UK) »
There's not much detail, but I wonder if this might be Augusta's death - https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:2W3C-DLP  This Augusta is listed as married on the 1880 Census mortality schedule (which lists people who died in the year prior to the census), but it says she was born in New York and her parents were born in Germany.

Offline erin31

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 11 April 21 21:06 BST (UK) »
Thank you. I have located the mortality schedule and it is a possibility and would account for my failure to find Augusta later on. One thing that is correct is the spelling... DAVIE has become DAVIES but I have had a lot of variations on the spelling.

I have noticed an error in my original post and that is I mistakenly put he was in Sunderland in 1871 but this was an error. I have no records of Thomas since 1861.

Thank you once again for your help.  :)

Offline oldohiohome

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 11 April 21 22:09 BST (UK) »
she contracted her illness at 159 St between Courtland and Elton Aves, which would be in the Bronx.
I didn't find a Davey, Davie, or Davies at that address in the 1879 or 1880 NY City Directory.