Author Topic: Diary > Friday 9th April  (Read 1462 times)

Offline Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Looking for that elusive branch!
    • View Profile
Diary > Friday 9th April
« on: Friday 09 April 21 23:45 BST (UK) »
Bright and sunny start to the day, not many people out walking today so decided to venture down the narrow path again. It was very quiet, I passed a few dog walkers but everything was peaceful. Had a walk down a side path to see where it went, it was very narrow, I only just had room to get between the bushes and trees. It eventually came out near some houses so I turned back the way I'd come.

Returned home and was watching This Morning while I had a cup of tea, suddenly it cut to the newsroom. At first I thought it was a joke as part of the lighthearted item that was featured. However, it was the very sad news that Prince Philip had died. Despite the fact that he was very old and had been ill I still found it quite a shock. All programmes on all of the main channels were immediately suspended. I think we'll all be wondering how the queen will get along without him by her side. I'm quite disgusted at the message that Prince Harry and his wife have posted on their website
"In loving memory of His Royal Highness The Duke of Edinburgh, 1921-2021. "Thank you for your service... you will be greatly missed."
Thank you for your service?? This is your grandfather Harry, not the butler. I hope he manages to get himself over here now, I wonder if he regrets not coming at Christmas when he could have seen his grandfather. She can stay at home as far as I'm concerned.

I'd been intending to go to the nurseries after lunch but had notification that a parcel would be delivered in the afternoon so I decided to leave the nurseries till next week and did some gardening instead. There was a two hour time slot provided and I was happy to carry on in the back garden
as Amazon usually provide great tracking information. Not so today. As luck would have it I heard the driver knocking. I enjoyed doing the garden anyway.

Mostly tribute programmes on TV but Doc Martin was still on so I watched that as well as a gardening programme on channel 5.
Bell, Salter, Street - Devon, Middlesbrough.
Lickess- North Yorkshire, Middlesbrough.
Etherington - North Yorks and Durham.
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham
Forster- North Yorks/Durham
Newsam, Pattison, Proud - North Yorks.
Timothy, Griffiths, Jones - South Wales

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Diary > Friday 9th April
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 10 April 21 01:03 BST (UK) »
I was in the middle of watching The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Society (quite a good film) when the news about Prince Philip was announced. This was my Friday night. Not sure how that tallies time wise Roobarb with you hearing the announcement on your Friday morning, when we are ahead of you time wise? I am doing my own head in trying to work that out.   ;)

Funny you should mention it, but Harry thanking Prince Philip ‘for his service’ came across as very peculiar to me too. It sounded so wrong. In fact I don’t think it would be something that anyone should or would say. Extremely odd. I imagine that if Harry does return to the UK for the private service, it will be via private jet under cover of darkness, otherwise he would prove a huge distraction to this solemn occasion.

Some time ago I stumbled across a TV programme about Prince Philip. I had no knowledge about his early life. His mother in particular, was a very interesting woman, who he seemed to have a very high regard for.

My Friday was uneventful. Daughter was working from home so I paid her a visit, helped her with a few chores, and as requested bought her one of those “grabber” things so she could pick up things off the floor without bending.  ::)

Finished watching “Fearless” - very good. Hotter today - I’m guessing it was about 30 degrees.

Offline Caw1

• RootsChat Senior
  • Joyce Irene Harriss 1920 - 2011
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 10 April 21 01:42 BST (UK) »
The days seem to have passed in much of a blur of nothingness and repartition and I’ve not felt I could add much to the diary.... but have been persuaded by a friend to continue....
I’ve read all everyone has written and enjoyed the comments and everyone’s daily life...
Sorry Ruskie to hear your daughters suffering so with back problems and hope it will resolve itself soon...
Roobarb as always out walking in most weathers... such determination to do so is very admirable as I know I am not so strong minded to do so...

Today was much like many others... my OH went this morning for his second jab and I shall be going tomorrow...
I’m not sure what time it was when he shouted up to me that Prince Philip had died.... my first thoughts were how sad he’d not managed to get to his 100th birthday... my next thoughts were for the queen and how after 70+ years she will feel so bereft without him... I can’t imagine it and I shed a tear for her...
I can’t watch wall to wall tv about it all as it was on all day and evening on all channels....it reminded me of the day that Diana died in that respect but that was a total shock to the nation... I remember it so well...

The rest of our day passed as normal.. OH glued to the Augusta Masters - golf for those non sports folk... and I did very little... someone recommended a series on Netflix Anne without and E and I’ve been watching that....
FaceTime my daughter and had two excited boys on the other end... decorators in doing their bedroom... dark green walls and one wall with a cloud forest... it’s wall paper that is an actual photo of a cloud forest looks spectacular and must have cost her a fortune! I’m making curtains once she’s made her decision on fabric...
We watched a wonderful programme about the Scottish landscape artist James Morrison whose paintings are beautiful and atmospheric....
This week had been mixed... tea in friends garden wrapped in sumptuous rugs as it was chilly!
A book club zoom to discuss an unusual book on Barak Obama’s list...
Shopping, washing, ironing, cleaning, all those normal daily grinding things..
Some more relaxations coming from Monday.... not sure how much actual difference it’ll make...
Hoping the weather improves to lift the spirits...

Caroline
Guy - UK,USA
Bangerter -UK,Australia,Switzerland
Harriss - UK, Australia
Merrall - UK
Swinnock - UK
Lloyd - UK

Offline DianaCanada

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 10 April 21 01:49 BST (UK) »
Very sad about Prince Philip.  He came to Canada over 70 times, I learned today. I wonder how Prince Harry is truly feeling about this.  I found out while having my breakfast this morning, hope that doesn’t play with your head, Ruskie!
On a more cheerful note, I got my vaccination booked!  On the 28th, early evening, which is fine, as it’s downtown, and the traffic will be light. 
Also got a close-ish match on my DNA, it’s an NPE, but I think I can help the match to a certain extent.
Nice weather here the last couple of days, low 20’s, tomorrow too, then back down to more seasonal mid-teens.  Nice to sit out, read, have a glass of wine, and watch the wildlife.  Saw my first chipmunk of the year today, they hibernate.
Roobarb, I mentioned I watched the first of the Canadian Landscape Painter, poor OH misunderstood me and thought it was going to be about landscaping!  He has an interest in art, so was happy to watch.  Very interested to see what the other episodes will bring.
Have a good weekend, everyone.

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 10 April 21 04:09 BST (UK) »
You sound a bit out of sorts Caroline. I hope I am imagining that. Though I know you are suffering emotionally and mentally with the lockdown, you always seem to be able to busy yourself with constructive pursuits. I’m sure you are an inspiration to any of us reading the diary threads. Making the boy’s curtains to complete their bedroom makeover, will be something to look forward to. The room sounds fabulous. I hope your second jab goes smoothly and you have no ill effects.

There is much discussion about the merits and otherwise of the vaccine here. Some worrying and confusing mixed messages coming through.  :-\

Diana, It’s always exciting when you get a new DNA match. I’m generally slightly let down because I either can’t find the connection, or if I can any “cousins” don’t seem particularly interested, or they don’t reply to my messages. Ho hum.

What does your dog thinks of chipmunks? My dog enjoys wildlife, specifically possums which send her barking mad.  ;D

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 10 April 21 08:16 BST (UK) »
This is very sad news to hear of the passing of Prince Philip.  He seemed like a strong character supporting our Queen so admirably throughout all these years.  She most be feeling so bereft to have to face the future without him by her side, now.  I expect all his family will be feeling a sense of great loss.  I am glad that he got to live such a long life but it does seem a bit of a shock and sad news for us all, really.  I have read that Prince Charles will now inherit his title and I feel glad to hear that.  I didn't get to find out about this sad news about Prince Philip until later in the evening.

At the moment I am working a nightshift block.  Last night I had quite a grouch of a driver on my second bus.  This is quite unusual as they are usually mostly good sorts.  The bus I expected to get from the station didn't come despite the overhead screen and the timetable indicating it would arrive.  I saw a parked alternative bus I could get a few stands away and a couple of drivers standing nearby.  I decided to go and enquire about the missing bus.  One driver gave a bit of a smile as I approached but the other barked "Back where you came from!" before I had even got a word out my mouth.  Charming! I thought, what a rude way to address anyone!  I stood my ground and politely asked about the missing bus.  I was informed that this bus would not be coming and the man again ordered me (in a very rude tone, I felt) to go back to where I had come from.  So I went back and unfortunately then had to wait for this grouch to finish his break and bring the bus over to the stand where I was.  And he was slightly over time in coming over.  When I got on and showed my travel pass the driver looked the other way out the window.  So I had to stay where I was holding my travel pass up for a few moments until he deigned to look at it.  I was starting to feel like I was getting the measure of him by then.
 I sat down and I was the only passenger on when he closed the doors.  At this point a young woman came up, obviously wanting to get on.  And would he stop and open the doors again?! Would he heck!  Despite her gesturing he just pulled away and left her standing.  I felt so mad on her behalf.  Perhaps she was a nurse or a keyworker just trying to get home in the later evening after a long shift, for all we knew.  I thought all this was very bad form by the driver and I made up my mind that when I got off I would give no thanks as I usually do.  So I got off silently and he didn't say anything either.  What a start to my night!  He was the type of driver to make you feel it is better to 'stay at home' (and save dignity ::)) if only you can.  I hope I don't come across this perhaps misogynistic driver, again any time soon. :(
Conroy, Fitzpatrick, Watson, Miller, Davis/Davies, Brown, Senior, Dodds, Grieveson, Gamesby, Simpson, Rose, Gilboy, Malloy, Dalton, Young, Saint, Anderson, Allen, McKetterick, McCabe, Drummond, Parkinson, Armstrong, McCarroll, Innes, Marshall, Atkinson, Glendinning, Fenwick, Bonner

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 10 April 21 09:10 BST (UK) »
Oooo, RTL, it must have been so hard to contain yourself. Disgusting behaviour by the bus driver, particularly to not let a young woman board the bus at night. An email of complaint to the appropriate bus company might be in order.

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 10 April 21 10:11 BST (UK) »
I think he was a very rude and arrogant man.  I would not speak to a dog in the very rude manner he addressed me with last night. 😡 I am a bit seething about it but I am trying to get not to worked up about it as I have to go to sleep now as I am back in tonight and I don't want my adrenaline running too high so I can't sleep.  Yes, I did feel like saying 'How dare you speak to me like that' but at this point I felt a bit at the mercy of the driver as it was imperative that I was going to be able to get to work on time ..and his bus was the last one that would get me there on time.
I think it might be a waste of time complaining as it might just be my word against his and regarding the young woman perhaps he might say he was already about to leave when she showed up.  Perhaps there might be protocol - the doors were shut.  But if I had been the driver I would have let her get on.
Thankfully, my drivers are normally very nice.  The two I had this morning were very courteous to me and the other passengers. 
Anyway, it has helped a bit to write about it on here and try to get it out my system.
Conroy, Fitzpatrick, Watson, Miller, Davis/Davies, Brown, Senior, Dodds, Grieveson, Gamesby, Simpson, Rose, Gilboy, Malloy, Dalton, Young, Saint, Anderson, Allen, McKetterick, McCabe, Drummond, Parkinson, Armstrong, McCarroll, Innes, Marshall, Atkinson, Glendinning, Fenwick, Bonner

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 10 April 21 10:24 BST (UK) »
Agreed that it is good to get these things off your chest TRL. I hope you manage to sleep soundly despite that stressful incident. I hope My comments didn’t contribute to making you feel more stirred up.