Author Topic: Diary > Friday 9th April  (Read 1463 times)

Offline Mowsehowse

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Diary > Friday 9th April
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 10 April 21 10:30 BST (UK) »
RTL, I agree with Ruskie.... Nasty bus driver. A written rebuke might be in order!

Regarding D of E title, it was my belief that the monarch has a clutch of Dukedom titles which are conferred at the monarch's discretion, and the D of E title would go back into that folder, possibly reaching Prince George in due course. However, according to the Daily Telegraph  :-\ , plans were formed in 1999 that Prince Edward, (who is currently an Earl not a Duke,) will receive the D of E title at some point after HMQ's death.
Poor HMQ must be devastated, given they were married for longer than I have been alive, and it was stated on the radio yesterday that she actually fell in love with him when she was only 15 years old. An epic readjustment now after some 80 years. :'(

I had a Morris dancing practise yesterday morning, and we got the HRH news by text from another group member when we stopped for a cuppa and chat. It must have been very strange to have BBC programmes interrupted in that way Roobarb. 
Diana + Ruskie, were programmes broken into on radio and TV programmes in Canada and Oz?? (No doubt the rest of the Commonwealth countries too if so.)

After lunch I walked to the seafront to meet a widowed friend and we had a good chat.  She is a punctuation fanatic, and was incensed after noticing a beach hut bearing the sign "Harveys' shed".
TV was a bit limited due to wall to wall D of E coverage, but found an old Silent Witness which was really harrowing!
H is beginning to feel his back is recovering, thank goodness.  I do hope Ruskie's daughter is a little easier.
Caroline, you do sound very flat, which is a shame after your lovely day out last week. Hang in there. Hopefully you can get together again very soon.
BORCHARDT in Poland/Germany, BOSKOWITZ in Czechoslovakia, Hungary + Austria, BUSS in Baden, Germany + Switzerland, FEKETE in Hungary + Austria, GOTTHILF in Hammerstein + Berlin, GUBLER, GYSI, LABHARDT & RYCHNER in Switzerland, KONIG & KRONER in Germany, PLACZEK, WUNSCH & SILBERBERG in Poland.

Also: ROWSE in Brixham, Tenby, Hull & Ramsgate. Strongman, in Falmouth. Champion. Coke. Eame/s. Gibbons. Passmore. Pulsever. Sparkes in Brixham & Ramsgate. Toms in Cornwall. Waymoth. Wyatt.

Offline candleflame

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 10 April 21 10:53 BST (UK) »
We heard about Prince Philip on the car radio as we were driving to our local beach for a walk . It was a sene of shock and sadness,  esp as he didn't quite make his 100th, but he didn't look well in those pictures they showed when he was released from hospital.
Watched all the tributes and especially liked the family one between 9 and 10 last night where the family spoke about him. Have since read that those tributes were filmed a couple of years ago ( no idea if that's true or not). It must be very weird to have to dress in black / black tie and talk about your father and his life when he was still alive, knowing that it would be broadcast after he died whenever that would be. Plus presumably they've also had to do the same about the Queen. What a strange position to be in.
North East of England

Offline Mowsehowse

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 10 April 21 11:21 BST (UK) »
QUOTE: "The family spoke about him. Have since read that those tributes were filmed a couple of years ago ( no idea if that's true or not). It must be very weird to have to dress in black / black tie and talk about your father and his life when he was still alive, knowing that it would be broadcast after he died whenever that would be. Plus presumably they've also had to do the same about the Queen. What a strange position to be in."

I suspect it probably is true Candleflame....  Obituaries, BBC and the military are always prepared well in advance.  When I had a sibling in naval service I was told that state funeral drills were rehearsed on a regular basis, as it would be impossible to be ready for that in a rush.
I guess in the natural order of things, one would expect that 98+ years is a great age, probably better to make a tribute in anticipation rather than be filmed while in early stages of bereavement? 
But, yes, very strange to the rest of us ordinary mortals.
BORCHARDT in Poland/Germany, BOSKOWITZ in Czechoslovakia, Hungary + Austria, BUSS in Baden, Germany + Switzerland, FEKETE in Hungary + Austria, GOTTHILF in Hammerstein + Berlin, GUBLER, GYSI, LABHARDT & RYCHNER in Switzerland, KONIG & KRONER in Germany, PLACZEK, WUNSCH & SILBERBERG in Poland.

Also: ROWSE in Brixham, Tenby, Hull & Ramsgate. Strongman, in Falmouth. Champion. Coke. Eame/s. Gibbons. Passmore. Pulsever. Sparkes in Brixham & Ramsgate. Toms in Cornwall. Waymoth. Wyatt.

Offline DianaCanada

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 10 April 21 12:31 BST (UK) »
RTL, that bus driver was unbelievably rude.  I agree that a written complaint is in order.
Caroline, sorry you are feeling low.  I admire your energy; this will likely pass and you will be back on track.
Ruskie, my dog will go after any wildlife 😁, including birds if nothing else is around.  He has no hope of catching anything, of course, but I found him nuzzling a baby robin on the back lawn last year, which either was a fledgling or had fallen out of the nest.  It made its way to our front lawn and later died, but Darcy had not attacked it, just nosed it.  He also got into a wrestling match with a groundhog last summer, very lucky it didn’t bite in panic.  When I take him out at 6:30, Leashed, I keep a keen eye out for raccoons and skunks, both dangerous in their own way.  Possums are rare here, but around, don’t know if they haunt the suburbs.  Chipmunks are far too fast for him, and often he doesn’t see them before they have escaped. Squirrels are a constant annoyance and am sure they taunt him.  He likes to bark and chase Canada Geese if they fly over, and bark at them from the front window.
We still have rabies here, so a real concern with creatures, particularly raccoons.
Mowsehouse, I was online when an announcement popped up re Prince Philip’s death, but it would have certainly been immediately covered on TV here, in fact it was on the News channels for most of the day.  Royal family still respected, rarely any talk of cutting the ties.  Sets us apart from the big noise to the south that can tend to overwhelm everything if we let it.  I think they would like a royal family, look at the White House and all the pomp.  Our PM and his family are living in what is a fairly modest house.  The house he lived in as a child and should be in now, is in very bad condition, which is a shame, and I think it is undergoing renovations.

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 10 April 21 14:38 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the doggy stories Diana. It must be quite scary with the possibility of interactions with some dangerous creatures. Mine likes birds too (any that walk - she's not too bothered about flying ones). In her native habitat she would be retrieving them. Fat chance of that I think.  ;D

We had a baby bird on the ground last year (it was able to get out of the nest but not get back in). My dog was obsessed by it, but we kept her on lead and well away from it for three days and nights. The following morning I found a lot of small feathers on the lawn.  :( I'm sure it was taken by a feral cat as we had recently seen some around.

We have snakes and ticks in some areas - also dangerous.

Offline Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Looking for that elusive branch!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 10 April 21 16:34 BST (UK) »
Ruskie, the This Morning programme is broadcast from 10am to 12.30pm, the cut to the newsroom was shortly after 12 noon. So This Afternoon in programme terms.  :D  I hope Harry and his wife have the grace to keep a low profile during the time of the funeral. And afterwards.
Hope your daughter is improving.

Good to hear from you Caroline, have missed reading your diary entries and about all those wonderful dishes you conjure up. The boys' bedroom sounds fantastic, what a great idea. I haven't yet watched the James Morrison programme but am intending to do so. Hope you soon get your mojo back.

Diana, good news about your vaccination. I hope you enjoy the rest of the Landscape Artist programmes. I love to hear your and Ruskie's doggie tales.  :)

RTL, what a horrible patronising man, it's bad enough taking that attitude to you and then to ignore a passenger just because he'd closed the door is unforgivable. I bet you felt like shouting "You're late!" when he came over from his break. Pleased to hear you had nice ones this morning, hope you slept well.

Lovely to get some more Morris dancing in MH. Perhaps there are two men called Harvey who own the beach hut in question.  :)

I agree Candleflame, it must be very strange having to discuss your loved ones as if they've already gone.
Bell, Salter, Street - Devon, Middlesbrough.
Lickess- North Yorkshire, Middlesbrough.
Etherington - North Yorks and Durham.
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham
Forster- North Yorks/Durham
Newsam, Pattison, Proud - North Yorks.
Timothy, Griffiths, Jones - South Wales

Offline carol80

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Edwin Stonehouse 1906-1970
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 11 April 21 02:24 BST (UK) »
Here in NZ, I was watching UKTV BBC through Sky. As this was an old repeat of Midsummer Murders I took no notice of the message running across the screen. The message read; The Palace has released an important message. For full details go to BBC World News or BBC.com.
Now was this an old message or a new one? Every fifteen minutes it was repeating. So at Midnight NZ time, I went online to find out what it was about. (this was 1.00pm UK time ).

So sad to lose a fine upstanding gentleman who stood by his wife's side for over 70 years.
Rest in Peace Prince Phillip. Your job is now done.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Stonehouse(York,Durham,Canada)Laurie(Scotland,York)Biddiss(All)Love(Scotland,Australia) Byers(Durham)Demaine(York)Dennison(York)Raine(Durham)Jefferson(Durham)Muir(Durham)
Johnston (Scotland)Hunter(Scotland)Johnson(York)
and many more.

Offline Mowsehowse

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 11 April 21 08:58 BST (UK) »
Thanks Carol..... I think it is interesting to know how the news was released around the globe.

Hope you are going along ok.  :)