Author Topic: Frederick John Wharton , died about / after 1920 ,  (Read 2088 times)

Offline matthewj64

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Frederick John Wharton , died about / after 1920 ,
« Reply #27 on: Wednesday 14 April 21 02:28 BST (UK) »
^Thanks minniehaha :)

Hi I'm looking for Frederick John Wharton, born 1893 Ben Rhydding, Yorkshire, England. He migrated to Australia 1918/20. Parents are Thomas and Teresa Wharton, late of Alberta, Canada. Possible married to Typhena Russell, son Tasman.

Hi Familyhistbuff and welcome :)

May I assume that you are the relative who frederickay was helping?

Note that the information found so far does not yet definitively tie this Frederick John Wharton back to the one born 1893 Ben Rhydding, but it possibly is.

A tree on Ancestry suggests that Frederick Wharton and Tryphena Russell were married on 11/12/1922 in Moonah, Tasmania. As Tryphena and her mother were buried in Methodist cemeteries, I checked the Methodist marriage records for Moonah, but they do not cover that date.

You may wish to order a certificate for their marriage, which should list parents and place of birth.
https://www.justice.tas.gov.au/bdm/apply-for-a-marriage-certificate

I think this South Australian death is worth a follow up, as the age fits
and a John Frederick Wharton died South Australia 1967 (buried 1968) aged 74 years
https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/153521738/john-frederick-wharton
https://www.centennialpark.org/memorial-search/john-frederick-wharton-32349/

M

Offline frederickay

• RootsChat Veteran
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Wednesday 14 April 21 03:18 BST (UK) »
Hi yes familyhistuff is the person I was helping . I suggested she start with Rootschat . The family did not know if john Frederick Wharton went to Australia or New Zealand . I see she has put it n the NZ page as well . I would  say she has not realised that Australia and New Zealand work so well together . In regards to the death in South Australia we were both quite excited , then saw in fact there are several John Frederick Wharton in the years we were looking BUT the south Australia death is quite promising as John Frederick Wharton she is looking for was a Catholic and that one is in the Catholic section of the graveyard .the small straws we clutch at . Thank everyone for their great help . Familyhistuff now knows more in two days of Rootschat then any of their family has known for years . Bye Fred .
valentine.fairhurst,hayes,hammond,codling,rust.norfolk.deyrujo.jutsum.wharton.lacey,probert,prickett,preby atherley-jones.clifton ..london /china. judd, eubank , dixon , hine , airey ,park .twentyman , dampier , jones in suffolk , limby , derrick , stockwell..

Offline matthewj64

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Thursday 15 April 21 08:24 BST (UK) »
A tree on Ancestry suggests that Frederick Wharton and Tryphena Russell were married on 11/12/1922 in Moonah, Tasmania. As Tryphena and her mother were buried in Methodist cemeteries, I checked the Methodist marriage records for Moonah, but they do not cover that date.

The Tasmanian Federation Index CD lists the place of marriage as 'Baptist Manse, Moonah' 11 December 1922.

There are Baptist records archived at the University of Tasmania that includes what looks like the relevant marriage register. I'll follow this up, but note that the first step is a request for permission to access the records, so hopefully that will be granted.

M

Offline matthewj64

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Monday 19 April 21 03:41 BST (UK) »
From the Tasmanian Baptist Union archives collection, UTAS, item BU.11/21 Marriage register, Moonah 1910-1925

Marriage December 11 1922, Baptist Manse, Moonah
John Frederick WHARTON
Age last birthday - 33
Residence (usual; present) - Judbury, Ranelagh, Huon
Occupation - Farmer
Condition - Bachelor
Birthplace - Sasketoon, Sasketchewan, Canada
Father & occupation - Thomas WHARTON, farmer
Mother - Teresa WHARTON

Tryphena Albina RUSSELL
Age last birthday - 39
Residence (usual; present) - Judbury, Ranelagh
Occupation - Domestic duties
Condition - Spinster
Birthplace - Judbury, Ranelagh
Father & occupation - John Petchy RUSSELL, farmer
Mother - Tryphena Albina RUSSELL (nee Smith)

Witnesses - Patrick Wilson; Laura Martha Butler
Baptist Minister - A Butler

Offline sparrett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Monday 19 April 21 05:31 BST (UK) »
Hi Matthewj64

frederickay will be pleased with that find ;D
Sure seems like the right man, but why did he say Canada birth and there does seem  a lot of margin around his age.

Sue
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline matthewj64

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Monday 19 April 21 06:40 BST (UK) »
^ yes, curious  :)

There is a short service attestation for John Frederick Wharton, 21 Tyne St, Cardiff.
next of Kin Father Thomas of Saskatoon, Saskatchewan

Then the address was changed to one in Alberta.

He was discharged in 1916 no fixed abode. Can’t read reason for discharge.

The signature for this is a good match with the one in the marriage registry

Offline frederickay

• RootsChat Veteran
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Monday 19 April 21 07:13 BST (UK) »
Hi thank you indeed. I have been in touch with john Frederick Wharton known as Fred Great niece . She said the family moved from Yorkshire to Saskatoon for a couple of years and then onto Alberta . Her understanding is John never went to Canada , . The family lost contact with him . It s thought there was a possibility that he jumped ship and I wonder if this is why he has fudged his birthplace .It would be interesting to know the reason for discharge from the army . . I have looked at some military records but I get confused anc think there may be two John F Wharton so I can't keep it straight . I read one was accepted for military service and then was turned down before he served . I wonder if his deafness came to the fire at this point ? .it appears he may have left Tryphenea Albania some years before his death ,,, if it is him in the Catholic section of the South Australian cemetery . His family have found out so much with the help of RC  in the last few weeks and we are now going to try and find living relations . Thank you so much everyone .
valentine.fairhurst,hayes,hammond,codling,rust.norfolk.deyrujo.jutsum.wharton.lacey,probert,prickett,preby atherley-jones.clifton ..london /china. judd, eubank , dixon , hine , airey ,park .twentyman , dampier , jones in suffolk , limby , derrick , stockwell..