Author Topic: Uniform identification help please  (Read 618 times)

Offline Teletran

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Uniform identification help please
« on: Saturday 10 April 21 15:50 BST (UK) »
Good afternoon,

I have these two photos in an old Victorian photo album of my family however there is limited detail, can anybody identify the uniforms?  These photos appear not to have been taken by a photo studio as they are not on card with no detail at all on the reverse.  The chap with the sporran (?) has written on it 'Mac Baron' that could be a name or other, the second photo, the chap with the Cain has the word 'Strachan'.  Any help with identification would be great. Many thanks Teletran

Offline Jebber

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Uniform identification help please
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 10 April 21 16:21 BST (UK) »
I stand to be corrected but I think top picture is of an Officer in a Cavalry Regiment, the helmet is
not clear enough to identify which. He has a sword not a cane.
CHOULES All ,  COKER Harwich Essex & Rochester Kent 
COLE Gt. Oakley, & Lt. Oakley, Essex.
DUNCAN Kent
EVERITT Colchester,  Dovercourt & Harwich Essex
GULLIVER/GULLOFER Fifehead Magdalen Dorset
HORSCROFT Kent.
KING Sturminster Newton, Dorset. MONK Odiham Ham.
SCOTT Wrabness, Essex
WILKINS Stour Provost, Dorset.
WICKHAM All in North Essex.
WICKHAM Medway Towns, Kent from 1880
WICKHAM, Ipswich, Suffolk.

Offline T1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 10 April 21 18:16 BST (UK) »
The gentleman in highland kit is a member of the "7th (London Scottish) Middlesex Volunteer Rifle Corps", later the 14th (County of London) Battalion, London Regiment.  The very distinctive uniform of "Elcho grey" or "Hodden grey" cloth with dark blue details is unmistakable.  This was part of the volunteer force, later the Territorial Force / Territorial Army.  Based on the visible details, this photo could date from any time from about 1890 to 1914, but I would say after 1900.

The other gentlemen in cavalry uniform is not an officer but an "other rank" in a Yeomanry regiment, in this case a member of the "2nd County of London Imperial Yeomanry" or "Westminster Dragoons".  The photo dates to after 1910, as the unit's previous purple plume was replaced by the white plume seen here in that year.  I would speculate the the two photos were taken when the men took part in  the 1911 coronation ceremonials.

Offline Teletran

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 11 April 21 01:18 BST (UK) »
Many thanks for identifying the uniforms, would you know if there is a card catalogue of names I could search through for these divisions, a look through Ancestry and findmypast with the limited information I have returns too many variants.  My family were based in west London so middlesex does make sense.

Teletran   

Offline NSWP

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 11 April 21 01:53 BST (UK) »
The gentleman in highland kit is a member of the "7th (London Scottish) Middlesex Volunteer Rifle Corps", later the 14th (County of London) Battalion, London Regiment.  The very distinctive uniform of "Elcho grey" or "Hodden grey" cloth with dark blue details is unmistakable.  This was part of the volunteer force, later the Territorial Force / Territorial Army.  Based on the visible details, this photo could date from any time from about 1890 to 1914, but I would say after 1900.

The other gentlemen in cavalry uniform is not an officer but an "other rank" in a Yeomanry regiment, in this case a member of the "2nd County of London Imperial Yeomanry" or "Westminster Dragoons".  The photo dates to after 1910, as the unit's previous purple plume was replaced by the white plume seen here in that year.  I would speculate the the two photos were taken when the men took part in  the 1911 coronation ceremonials.
Great research of magnificent photographs.
Residing in Batemans Bay, Australia, but originally from 'Mother England', transported to HM Colonies in 1966.

'Adventure before Dementia'

Offline T1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 11 April 21 07:24 BST (UK) »
would you know if there is a card catalogue of names I could search through for these divisions, a look through Ancestry and findmypast with the limited information I have returns too many variants

In general you won't find pre-First World War volunteer / territorial / yeomanry records online.  You may find rolls/registers in local (county) records offices or regimental museums

For the London Scottish, this link tells you everything you need to know: https://www.londonscottishregt.org/index.php/en/museum/archival-research :

VICTORIAN ERA
From 1870 to 1908 there is a full regimental roll of names, regimental numbers, age, addresses and occupations.
The London Scottish Regimental Gazette began publishing in 1896 and chronicled both the social and military sides of regimental life. 
WW1
We can search for an individual soldier or officer in the regimental Roll which will confirm surname, initials and army number