Author Topic: WhatsApp - My number keeps getting blocked  (Read 740 times)

Offline Karen McDonald

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • ** THINK POSITIVE! **
    • View Profile
WhatsApp - My number keeps getting blocked
« on: Saturday 10 April 21 21:20 BST (UK) »
Hello all,

This old dinosaur would be very grateful for a little help.  ;D

A few months back, I finally gave in and bought a Smartphone. I actually only wanted to use it to photograph our beautiful dog when we were out & about, and to have a decent mobile in case something happened underway.

But then lots of people started piling on the pressure to use WhatsApp, and about 2 weeks ago, I capitulated.

I have to be honest: It is fun. When it works. The problem is, every other day, on average, I turn on my mobile and a window pops up, telling me my number is no longer authorised for use on WhatsApp.
I have, apparently, either used another 'phone (not true - one is more than enough for me...) or I have contravened the WhatsApp regulations (also not true - unless swapping recipes and dog & cat photos is in contravention of WA rules...).

I am told to verify my number. Most times, this does not work. The system tells me I have been blocked and should contact Support, stating my telephone number in international format.

What then happens is that the system reads the telephone number and sends an automated reply, saying sorry for the confusion, we classified you as a rule-breaker. Verify your number, and everything will be hunky-dory. But verification rarely works - the window just pops up again, saying my number has been blocked.

So then I de-install WA and then download it again from Google Play Store. It then works again.

I have no other option but to download it from the Store, so I can only hope that this is correct.

I have now written a long mail to WhatsApp - the first reply was a useless automated one, so I copy & pasted my original mail,plus a bit, and sent it back to them - and have received a short reply, saying an employee will look into it for me.

I don't hold out much hope, but you never know.

Has anyone else had this kind of problem? (Certainly not amongst my family and friends, as I keep being told... ::))
Does anyone have any suggestions? (Other than capitulating and just forgetting all about WA...)

Thanks very much!
Karen
McDonald MacDonald M'Donald McGregor MacGregor M'Gregor Twilley Wells Fentiman Carrington Rowe Needham Mitchell Mackie Collingwood Fuller Maides Shilton Hagon Budd

Offline Karen McDonald

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • ** THINK POSITIVE! **
    • View Profile
Re: WhatsApp - My number keeps getting blocked
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 11 April 21 19:41 BST (UK) »
- UPDATE -

I think I have the answer...  :(

I have a Gigaset mobile (German) and Gigaset apparently sent out malware in an update at Easter. Not intentionally  ::) but it means that a large number of mobiles are affected here.
And it looks as though WhatsApp blocks the numbers of 'phones with these malware items installed.

I could do with some collective finger-crossing, as it sounds as though Gigaset is having a hard time fixing the problem...

Such is life. You finally succumb and buy a smartphone, then all this cr*p happens...  :'(
McDonald MacDonald M'Donald McGregor MacGregor M'Gregor Twilley Wells Fentiman Carrington Rowe Needham Mitchell Mackie Collingwood Fuller Maides Shilton Hagon Budd

Offline josey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 11 April 21 19:50 BST (UK) »
Oh what a shame Karen. Let's hope Gigaset are working on a solution or they might find customers are asking for a refund.....I would leave it uninstalled until the problem is fixed - you've done without it for a long time & you can store up Woofie's pics to share till later. I did capitulate to WhatsApp a couple of years ago then was pretty upset to find Facebook took it over. I've not yet to capitulate to the advertising agency that is FB, although I know it has plus points.
Seeking: RC baptism Philip Murray Feb ish 1814 ? nr Chatham Kent.
IRE: Kik DRAY[EA], PURCELL, WHITE: Mea LYNCH: Tip MURRAY, SHEEDY: Wem ALLEN, ENGLISHBY; Dub PENROSE: Lim DUNN[E], FRAWLEY, WILLIAMS.
87th Regiment RIF: MURRAY
ENG; Marylebone HAYTER, TROU[W]SDALE, WILLIAMS,DUNEVAN Con HAMPTON, TREMELLING Wry CLEGG, HOLLAND, HORSEFIELD Coventry McGINTY
CAN; Halifax & Pictou: HOLLAND, WHITE, WILLIAMSON

Offline Karen McDonald

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • ** THINK POSITIVE! **
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 12 April 21 11:32 BST (UK) »
Thanks, Josey!

I see it the same way. I'll wait and see what happens.

Just to make things a little more complicated, Vodafone has problems (yet again  >:() throughout the whole of Germany and we have no Internet today.  :'( Luckily, I can use the neighbour's WiFi!  :D

Oh, yes. Technology is a wonderful thing. Sometimes...

Cheers,
Karen