Author Topic: Dreaded surname everyone wants to keep up with  (Read 1708 times)

Offline danieloftyne

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Dreaded surname everyone wants to keep up with
« on: Saturday 10 April 21 23:28 BST (UK) »
Hi all I'm wondering if anyone can help me trace birth and mothers name for a william jones he was born in 1833 I deduced this from his marriage cert as he was 22 in 1855 when he married Mary Ann Christie in Newcastle-upon-Tyne  however according to censuses he was born at different years from 1861 to 1891 when trail goes cold the 1861 census he was born in 1831 in deptford Kent,1871 census born 1828 in London middlesex, 1881 census born 1827 in London middlesex, 1891 census born 1824 in London middlesex his father was john jones according to his marriage cert any help sorting this would be very much appreciated
Walton, Jones, Parker, Tipping,Nicholson, morrow,young,arrowsmith,Elliott, Anderson, ring rose, scrimshaw,hogarth,stewart

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Dreaded surname everyone wants to keep up with
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 10 April 21 23:39 BST (UK) »
Do you have an occupation for his father?
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline UK4753

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 11 April 21 00:01 BST (UK) »
That's great advice from Heywood and worth pursuing. 

My William Jones (b. 1794) was born in Wiltshire and was a shoemaker (or cordwainer) as was his son.  Occupation is sometimes a key bit of information that allows one to have a better chance in identifying the correct family.

:)

Wiltshire: JONES, BANKS
Yorkshire: FEVERS, SCALES
Kent:  RUMLEY, NIGH
London:  HUGHES, NIGHTINGALE

Offline danieloftyne

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 11 April 21 06:59 BST (UK) »
Hi heywood the father John jones occupation is on Williams wedding cert but is hard to make out
Walton, Jones, Parker, Tipping,Nicholson, morrow,young,arrowsmith,Elliott, Anderson, ring rose, scrimshaw,hogarth,stewart

Offline Brentor boy

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 11 April 21 07:47 BST (UK) »
In 1851 William B Jones, 19, apprentice shipwright, born Deptford, was living in household of John Jones, shoemaker, at Grove Lane, St Paul, Deptford. (Family Search) Ref HO107, 1584/726, page 26.

Does any of that match up with the information on the marriage certificate? Shoemaker could be shown as cordwainer.

On Freereg there is the baptism of William Benjamin Jones on  1 April 1932, St Paul Deptford. Parents John and Mary Ann Jones  of Grove  Lane.

The same couple baptised a daughter, Martha Jane, on 29 October 1843, but I cannot find a matching entry on Free BMD or GRO Index which could have given the mother's maiden name.

A John Jones married Mary Ann Wright on 27 October 1825 at  St Paul's, Deptford.

All this is entirely conjecture but I am recording it in case any of it might tie in with what you already know.

Offline danieloftyne

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 11 April 21 07:57 BST (UK) »
Hi Brentor boy thanks for info the 1861 census for Newcastle-upon-Tyne has william as an engine driver on railway born deptford Kent all other census after that he was born London middlesex the only thing consistent is he was an engineman on his marriage cert it says his father was john jones and what looks like his father's occupation as lantener I've tried posting a photo but it says it's too big and frankly I'm not computer savvy enough to make it smaller

Offline Girl Guide

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 11 April 21 08:05 BST (UK) »
You don't need to post the whole certificate.  Can you post the snippets that you are uncertain of?
Ashford: Somerset, London
England: Devon, London, New Zealand
Holdway: Wiltshire
Hooper: Bristol, Somerset
Knowling: Devon, London
Southcott: Devon, China
Strong: Wiltshire
Watson: Cambridgeshire
White: Bristol
Windo - Gloucestershire, Somerset, Wiltshire

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 11 April 21 08:48 BST (UK) »
Brentor boy,
There is a published tree for William Benjamin Jones. It has a marriage for him in 1855 in Lewisham to Sarah S Hughes and after their first child was born they emigrated to New Zealand. :-\

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline danieloftyne

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 11 April 21 09:08 BST (UK) »
Hi gg I took a photo of small section on my tablet but it won't let me upload it says file is too big don't know how to make it smaller